Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• WxUSAF pinned this topic

Good call firing up a new thread. Let’s keep emotions out of this one as much as possible, folks.

Model analysis / debate = very much welcome

Debbing for the sake of debbing while having nothing science based to back up said debbing = not welcome. Feelings are for the panic thread. Your feelings will be met with open arms over there.

I, for one, think the LR ens look WAY better today at 500mb than they did just 3 days ago. Let’s keep the momentum going!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

It’s hard to be overly optimistic when the 540 line at 174 is no where in the US.  Even Maine.  It’s the op sure but that doesn’t foster much confidence.  

This is something I’ve been wondering about as well, not just today. It’s seemed like even with the better looks we’ve seen in previous weeks, the 540 line has stayed pretty far north. Not panicking/trying to deb but maybe someone with more knowledge could explain why that’s not a flag? Or just what it means in aggregate.

1 minute ago, WinterFire said:

This is something I’ve been wondering about as well, not just today. It’s seemed like even with the better looks we’ve seen in previous weeks, the 540 line has stayed pretty far north. Not panicking/trying to deb but maybe someone with more knowledge could explain why that’s not a flag? Or just what it means in aggregate.

In that run it’s pac air.  The real cold is locked up on the other side.  Some of the runs tapped some of the modified aK cold but that run had no mechanism to deliver it south so it was zonal dog poop.  That is my unofficial explanation.

46 minutes ago, stormy said:

Sunday night, strong LP is over S. Carolina dumping rain.

No 50/50................ Source of cold air way back over North Dakota............................

Are you actually tracking this? I mean its neat to look at and it is cool to get a real deal southern stream system to move through.. but this has been a rain storm ever since it showed up on the models like 7 days ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Improvements in the Atlantic on the EPS last 3 runs

^At the end of the 0z EPS run you can see the lower heights in the 50-50 region. Looks like there will be at least 2 storms tracking NE across the area the last week of the month, and even if they are just rainstorms here, as those mature lows track NE they end up contributing to building heights into the NAO domain.

This process can be clearly seen on the 6z GFS.

1704088800-tEvaSL8yZO4.png

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

It appears as though the trough in the GOA moves west as well.

There have been incremental improvements there on the means over the last several runs, more so on the EPS and GEPS. That allows heights to build northward over AK. (-EPO). With hints of improvement in the NA towards D15, perhaps we are starting to see the beginnings of the overall favorable h5 looks the extended products have been advertising.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

This is the surface that goes with the h5 panel I posted above. That's a hell of nice a look up top with a strong wave tracking eastward.

1704088800-DJaS9Q2lnjs.png

Ah, its the @40/70 Benchmark Mid Atlantic storm set-up.  Two bad its two weeks out, however, moving in the right direction for sure. 

We shall be tracking in early 2024 :pepsi:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

Are you actually tracking this? I mean its neat to look at and it is cool to get a real deal southern stream system to move through.. but this has been a rain storm ever since it showed up on the models like 7 days ago.

I am tracking a likely rainstorm but also watching for any hint of something else like last Sunday night.

the evolution for the end of the month is pretty similar to the thoughts of myself, @psuhoffman and @CAPE. at first, the airmass is marginal for any larger storm after Christmas, and we get a rainstorm out of a pretty well-tracking system:

IMG_3735.thumb.png.d490b2cf38f87ea48cc4de2a3b8a52b3.png

however, that system then leads to wave breaking towards Greenland and the development of an in-situ -NAO. there is also retrogression of the AK trough, pumping the +PNA as a S/W amps:

IMG_3736.thumb.png.93eca89fdbf2f1ebde01bbbb3a4339ab.png

of course, these are OP runs at range and not really meant to be taken seriously. however, this is a reasonable pattern progression that shows how we go from an all out torch to one where we can actually see something of note

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the evolution for the end of the month is pretty similar to the thoughts of myself, @psuhoffman and @CAPE. at first, the airmass is marginal for any larger storm after Christmas, and we get a rainstorm out of a pretty well-tracking system:

IMG_3735.thumb.png.d490b2cf38f87ea48cc4de2a3b8a52b3.png

however, that system then leads to wave breaking towards Greenland and the development of an in-situ -NAO. there is also retrogression of the AK trough, pumping the +PNA as a S/W amps:

IMG_3736.thumb.png.93eca89fdbf2f1ebde01bbbb3a4339ab.png

of course, these are OP runs at range and not really meant to be taken seriously. however, this is a reasonable pattern progression that shows how we go from an all out torch to one where we can actually see something of note

Yup, I don’t really care that it’s an OP at range. It shows the progression that completely makes sense based on Ens and pattern evolvement. I also love the 50/50 low on the OP. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

This is the surface that goes with the h5 panel I posted above. That's a hell of nice a look up top with a strong wave tracking eastward.

1704088800-DJaS9Q2lnjs.png

I know that's an op at range but daayum!  And as @brooklynwx99 mentioned, sure it's an op at 384-h, but it does show a reasonable/possible progression and it fits in with what the ensembles have been showing lately for that time.  Better than seeing crap on the longer range ensembles with an ops showing some unicorn storm that is clearly not consistent with the flow and pattern.  Oh, and is that a BANANA high, dare I say??

• Like 4

WB latest GEFS for first week of January everything still looks on track for a transition to a favorable pattern as we head into January.  Nice to see that we ARE progressing into a more favorable pattern by the end of '23 as modeling/forecasters/ subject matter experts in this forum have predicted since at least Thanksgiving.  Will it deliver big snow as we enter the heart of winter/ peak snow climo?!  Hope so!!!

IMG_2332.png

IMG_2331.png

• Like 3