• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

12z euro has that Jan 4-5 event but there’s just no room for it to do anything. The timing with the shortwave behind it and the N/S are horrible. Then it looks likes it’s about to cook up another rain storm day 10+

This gives me ptsd from last few years. Blocking with SE ridge. Someone get me a dog

c0260601c761dd73f1ac429d4d1aab14.jpg
f347455a1ca5f9f35127dbaa96273a21.jpg
f8e560825019fb83e7367879bf89776b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Heisy said:

12z euro has that Jan 4-5 event but there’s just no room for it to do anything. The timing with the shortwave behind it and the N/S are horrible. Then it looks likes it’s about to cook up another rain storm day 10+

This gives me ptsd from last few years. Blocking with SE ridge. Someone get me a dog

c0260601c761dd73f1ac429d4d1aab14.jpg
f347455a1ca5f9f35127dbaa96273a21.jpg
f8e560825019fb83e7367879bf89776b.jpg

if you're going to post the GEPS when it shows a 48 hour long transient ridge in the east, might as well post it 48 hours later when the trough slips under the block

cmc-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom_1day-4974400.thumb.png.ccad3d2dc5f75e2d1b30ba06de006605.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Not really, there is a strong NAO correlation. There are great resources through the CDC daily climate composites that allow you to backcheck things going back to 1948: https://psl.noaa.gov/data/composites/day/

In looking at the whole timeset, I found a strong +time correlation to 10mb warmings and -NAO (500mb). It varied at different times in the year:

Stratosphere warming Oct 30-Nov 15 has highest -NAO correlation at +45 days (Dec 15-30)

Nov 15-30 Stratosphere warming has highest -NAO correlation at +40 days (Dec 25-Jan 10)

Dec 1-15 Stratosphere warming has highest -NAO correlation at +35 days (Jan 5-20)

Dec 15-30 Stratosphere warming has highest -NAO correlation at +30 days (Jan 15-30)

Jan 1-15 Stratosphere warming has highest -NAO correlation at +25 days (Jan 25-Feb 5)

Jan 15-30 Stratosphere warming has highest -NAO correlation at +20 days (Feb 5-20)

Feb 1-15 Stratosphere warming has highest -NAO correlation at +20 days (Feb 20- Mar 5)

Feb 15-Mar2 Stratosphere warming has highest -NAO correlation at +15 days (Mar 1-15)

March 1-15 Stratosphere warming has highest -NAO correlation at +15 days (March 15-30)

etc.. They vary in effects to the troposphere at different times of the cold season, but I found I strong correlation +time (since 1948). 

Here are the NAO effects on our temperature (+40-50% correlation):

https://ibb.co/jDLnWvp

You may argue that the current pattern is more dominant, which is something I might agree with, but there is a lot of proof of 10mb warmings having net effects. 

So All of your example result in cold and snowy for Mid Atlantic ?

I don’t think so

• Thanks 1

if you're going to post the GEPS when it shows a 48 hour long transient ridge in the east, might as well post it 48 hours later when the trough slips under the block
cmc-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom_1day-4974400.thumb.png.ccad3d2dc5f75e2d1b30ba06de006605.png

I realize that, it gets there eventually but we’re pushing 15 days then. It would def warm up ahead of that. Getting a little nervous that’s all. Negative Weenie vibes. I’m trying to hold it in lol

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

To my eye, surface and H5 look good on the GEFS for the 4-5th and 6-8th. Snow mean just looks like trash though if you care about such things. Don’t fully understand the disconnect. 

It seems to be because the suppressed members are cold and the members that have a more amplified storm are warm/rain. The mean looks good but it’s misleading. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It seems to be because the suppressed members are cold and the members that have a more amplified storm are warm/rain. The mean looks good but it’s misleading. 

Yea and that’s a sign the setup isn’t that good. There’s too much ridging ahead of the low. There’s a N/S push but it’s timed with the low so we have a LP sitting at the lakes. Does nothing to help hold in any cold.

4dbb91e0258e648e1d89ce7d17b3d5c4.jpg
e8a19cfdbfe38ea28a31daee86686bee.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cbmclean said:

Is it time to panic?

Not necessarily. In 2016 the long wave pattern flipped very early January but we had to suffer a couple more rainstorms in the following weeks even in a great long wave pattern because it took a while to establish enough cold.  So long as the progression toward a -nao remains we should eventually be ok. 

My frustration with that 6z run yesterday was that such a perfect h5 solution should have been able to overcome the reap antecedent thermals. But it would take something extreme like that until we get a truly colder thermal profile in place.  The pattern has flipped. The North American thermals will be cooling. But it might take a while. 

That said I’ve been open about the elephant in the room. If we get the canonical pattern we expect in a Nino and it’s just too warm all winter at least we’ve answered the question and it’s settled. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Yea and that’s a sign the setup isn’t that good. There’s too much ridging ahead of the low. There’s a N/S push but it’s timed with the low so we have a LP sitting at the lakes. Does nothing to help hold in any cold.

4dbb91e0258e648e1d89ce7d17b3d5c4.jpg
e8a19cfdbfe38ea28a31daee86686bee.jpg

It’s just not cold enough. Absent a block w 50/50, which we don’t have yet, any wave will produce ridging ahead of it.  There has to be a cold enough airmass in place to resist the southerly flow. We just never have that anymore. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Not necessarily. In 2016 the long wave pattern flipped very early January but we had to suffer a couple more rainstorms in the following weeks even in a great long wave pattern because it took a while to establish enough cold.  So long as the progression toward a -nao remains we should eventually be ok. 

My frustration with that 6z run yesterday was that such a perfect h5 solution should have been able to overcome the reap antecedent thermals. But it would take something extreme like that until we get a truly colder thermal profile in place.  The pattern has flipped. The North American thermals will be cooling. But it might take a while. 

That said I’ve been open about the elephant in the room. If we get the canonical pattern we expect in a Nino and it’s just too warm all winter at least we’ve answered the question and it’s settled. 

Are you still mostly unconcerned about the NPAC ridge and the associated SER reflection?

16 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Is it time to panic?

We must start getting favorable tracks for low pressures and clippers  or other mechanisms of bringing the cold down.  Look for that instead of lows in The lakes and Ohio valley .  Right now it’s just more of the same of delay and 10 days away until improvement 

• Like 1

The  12th is  practically  half the winter gone and the  pattern was supposed to changed already

Half the winter gone? What the actual fack are you debs smoking on? Please move your emotions to the panic room thread. This shit, along with weather53s constant need to bash everyone’s analysis while not having any science backed predictions / analysis of their owns is making this thread miserable to read through.

How many times do you guys need to be told the same thing before understanding how a pattern change works? It’s like beating a dead horse. THERE WAS NEVER a time when we thought we’d be knee deep in a snowy / cold pattern by the end of December. The weeklies from back in early November don’t count. We’ve been looking at the 1/2 and beyond timeframe for WEEKS now. Get it together guys. The incessant need to deb because you guys are snow jaded is annoying as shit.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 3