Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The last hurrah? Putting all the eggs in the Tuesday 3/14 basket

Ginx snewx

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I think you are golden for 18+. There’s far too much emphasis on this forum on snow maps. Look at the modeled deformation, fronto and rapid deepening. Factor in the met input here and how wherever you live and your Climo and you should have a pretty good feeling of how each area will do 

still a few red flags if 0z is good I would go higher

I'm still going to be on the bullish side. Working on an updated forecast but don't think I'll make drastic changes. I may lower totals a bit though for each zone (so 18-24'' down to 16-20'' and 12-18'' down to 10-16'' etc). I'll take the luck with the mid-levels...the mid-levels are hard to ignore. I know we've been screwed before where we had great mid-levels and got screwed, but more times then not, this will supersede. 

Regarding the chasing of convection, I feel confident in saying that idea is not going to happen. The degree of convection doesn't appear to be that widespread or intense. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I think you are golden for 18+. There’s far too much emphasis on this forum on snow maps. Look at the modeled deformation, fronto and rapid deepening. Factor in the met input here and how wherever you live and your Climo and you should have a pretty good feeling of how each area will do 

Tip agrees with you…maybe 0z comes roaring back like last night…Ray was so pumped, and everybody was, but then it all fell apart today for the most part(except for CMC and NAM). 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

This may go into what Oceanst was saying earlier, but I think any low with convection is going to be weak and the shortwave energy is overdone...so a scenario of a capture and better blossoming of the storm as a whole. 

WE'RE GETTING BURRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

WGW

17 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

Southern Greens need this one. 

Amen brother! Downing an IPA as I watch the latest models up the ante for our area. The 18z GFS and 12z Euro seem to keying in on this area as the jackpot zone with between 3" and 4" QPF as snow! Even half of those amounts would still yield a good snowstorm...

This doubled barreled low idea may actually be quite good for us as they act to lengthen the easterly LLJ fetch and prevent the heavy snow band from pivoting on through too quickly. The double barreled low is a result of competing forces: synoptic forcing vs. convective forcing. The eastern low is a result of the southern convection being advected N and NE along the eastern side of the big trough through the Great Lakes, while the western low results from the synoptic forcing associated with cyclonic vorticity advection and diffluence aloft ahead of this ULL. 

Eventually the two lows likely mesh together near the vicinity of Cape Cod at which point eastern areas may be able to dynamically cool the column and flip to heavy snow. This looks to be a fascinating event meteorologically as well as a big snow producer.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The overwhelmingly powerful moving synoptic parts will obliterate the BL warming ... much more likely in a uniform result.  Too much tech dive is obfuscating common sense - not just in here but in the general Met community. 

These subsuming N/stream fusion into diabatic inject S/streamers, become dynamic hammers ( in the maudlin turn of phrase).  None of the interpolated snow products ...and ( I feel ) quite a bit of human interpretation, are not getting the big picture here of what this kind of event is capable of becoming.  Hopefully the nit picking keeps it upper pedestrian/lower major like that...  Heh.

Just like no one guessed a tropospheric fold would strafe SE zones with sustained 'cane winds in 2005, or how 128/95 becomes a stranded parking lot on the eve of 1978 Feb 6 ... the upper bounders like to impose "wild card" severity.  This one fits that ilk.    

I'm particularly concerned along a Willimantic CT to Bebford MA where for a time, thick caking/rhyme snow may then freeze while being struck with high winds into that snow loaded infrastructure.

Otherwise, I'm not too concerned about the risk for heavy snow as singular metric. I've seen this town cut through 22" snow storm twice and I was able to hit the gym later the same afternoon ... Snow, alone, is not the same beast to civility it was 40 years ago. But, if the visibility is very low and the wind manages to gust in the interior and the temperature is 30 F ... this turns into a different animal.  

I don't buy the 18z NAM and other waffling as negation.   It's roughly half way between the 12z and the oddly barren 00z run ...and is more a reflection of wobbling with the internal physics ( giga noise).  It's too possible that a dangerous scenario unfolds to worry about that, as the players are not in question - unlike other events this year.  They are pretty well accounted for.

The GFS is largely dismissed

Kudos to you for zeroing in on this impressive signal 9 days ago.

13 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

I’m probably in 80s. No 100 for Mitch, even Stratton peak only 107”

I need to double check, but I'm even mid 80's here The COOP near Bromley is over 100" and the other Cocorahs guy past Bromley is near 120".  Mitch at 100 makes sense for sure.

You miss alot of tiny events that add up not being here full time, which i dont think you are?

Anyway, looks good as of now for the Mt Snow up to Stratton corridor.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nothing really fell apart at all today though. There wasn’t much that changed 

I wouldn’t say they fell apart, but things became more tenuous. We crush without that random pos low pressure lobe, but it’s showing up enough to be a concern, especially in southern CT. 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nothing really fell apart at all today though. There wasn’t much that changed 

GFS is a nothing burger. RGEM is an inch or two(nothing burger), but ya that model sucks. Euro wasn’t very good for most today. Duel lows and way east lows aren’t gonna do much for us. Things have devolved for CT outside of NW corner.

Sure a 2-4 inch/3-5” for most areas away from the water is doable..::::::but we’ll see what 0z says. 

8 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I need to double check, but I'm even mid 80's here The COOP near Bromley is over 100" and the other Cocorahs guy past Bromley is near 120".  Mitch at 100 makes sense for sure.

You miss alot of tiny events that add up not being here full time, which i dont think you are?

Anyway, looks good as of now for the Mt Snow up to Stratton corridor.

Heath MA got 3-4” Friday night. 

• Like 2