Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 3, 2022 CAPE Storm Obs/Nowcast

WxUSAF

13 minutes ago, H2O said:

Visibility since I got up has really dropped in the last 30 min.  Houses off in the distance getting very hard to see.  That only happens with the big dogs for me.

Can confirm. Can only see one half block down the street...can't remember the last time we had those conditions here. Probably ~1.5" when I took this over an hour ago, but I'm sure we're well into the 2"-3" range now.

PXL_20220103_130109821a.thumb.jpg.744e0dc39da174e86e4f20258df6871a.jpg

9 minutes ago, WeatherShak said:

Trees wilting already pretty good.

Yeah, worried about this -- have two 5-6' butterfly bushes in front of house that I just realized should've been trimmed more. Just went out to shake them off, as they were already prostrate and touching the ground.  :( 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

What’s a gravity wave?

Weather can be thought of as the result of gradients in various atmospheric properties such as temperature, moisture, and pressure. The atmosphere is continually working to eliminate these gradients and restore itself back to equilibrium. Gravity waves are one of the mechanisms that the atmosphere utilizes in an attempt to restore itself to an equilibrium state. While these waves typically do not influence large-scale weather patterns, they can affect smaller scale weather events. They can sometimes be seen on radar images and produce some characteristic cloud patterns.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Man...that cutoff is just brutal. As WxUSAF said, that could pay huge dividends for those of us not far south of the cutoff, but I feel for the folks north of it.

Yeah it is brutal. You have ridiculous rates east of 95 down by Route 50. Then you have Frederick with snow and a super sharp cutoff line just northwest of me. It's snowing pretty lightly here. Unless I get a push of the heavy stuff into my area, probably going to end up with 2-4 at best. I'm not sure which model nailed the extremely sharp cutoff correctly, but they all nailed the fact that it would be extremely sharp somewhere. Good for the Southern MD folks. Pretty sure they have as much snow as me the past five years.

11 minutes ago, mattie g said:

While most of us in our general area have been relatively screwed in the last couple years, you folks in the easter, lower areas on the "other side" of the fall line have been particularly effed in that time. Glad to see you guys cashing in hard!

Totally Agree!  So happy for those who are usually on the wrong side of the line. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Can confirm. Can only see one half block down the street...can't remember the last time we had those conditions here. Probably ~1.5" when I took this over an hour ago, but I'm sure we're well into the 2"-3" range now.

PXL_20220103_130109821a.thumb.jpg.744e0dc39da174e86e4f20258df6871a.jpg

Yeah, worried about this -- have two 5-6' butterfly bushes in front of house that I just realized should've been trimmed more. Just went out to shake them off, as they were already prostrate and touching the ground.  :( 

Nice pic!

Last time I remember barely being able to see the houses off in the distance was 2016

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Yeah it is brutal. You have ridiculous rates east of 95 down by Route 50. Then you have Frederick with snow and a super sharp cutoff line just northwest of me. It's snowing pretty lightly here. Unless I get a push of the heavy stuff into my area, probably going to end up with 2-4 at best. I'm not sure which model nailed the extremely sharp cutoff correctly, but they all nailed the fact that it would be extremely sharp somewhere. Good for the Southern MD folks. Pretty sure they have as much snow as me the past five years.

Maybe in southern most areas of Frederick County towards Damascus, but it's a nothing burger here in New Market and West into Frederick.