Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
I’m dreaming of an Icy Christmas

Sey-Mour Snow

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Trying to tuck the flip down to wx2fish and Ray now. 
97F23F9B-0A02-47BD-B6CA-885C455A5E83.gif

I've been watching that all morning .. yup-

We're likely to tuck that all the way and see it teriminate down the eastern flank of the Worcester Hills ...not sure if it spills over. 

Will and I were onto the aspect that the warm layer in this isn't ideal. The droplet temps are ...a little toasty heh.  But that is needing more cold air to help phase change efficiency that normal - relative to temperature.

I think that is happening visibly here just N of Rt 2 in N. Middlesex Co in Mass.  Ayer -   I have icicles and poor accretion efficiency, even though it 30.5 F ... The rain rate is not very heavy. Steady and light ... Typically we could see that be very efficient at that temp but we're not.  I'm wondering if that's related the fact that it's probably 40F atop mt Monadnock. 

the 12z NAM has gone cold over Logan out of nowhere... hmm.  It's only +2 C at 900 now by late afternoon.. .yesterday's 18z was +5!  That's a pretty substantial short lead term shirking on plans.. If that is true, the tuck pulse above does come on down... we may have seen the warmest this gets.  That might not be good considering how loaded the upstream rad is...eesh. 

Man, icing events have no equal when it comes to excruciatingly tedious micro now casting LOL

• Confused 1

The condos across the street have a ridiculously steep driveway, and they are constantly throwing down salt/sand so they can get up and out. No luck, it's just covered over instantly. I think they're realizing why nobody else over there stays all winter. Might need to set up a steaming cam to share the entertainment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s also pretty warm just barely aloft. I made a post last night on how warm it was at 925-950mb. So that will also limit the efficiency of the accretion. It’s still really nasty though driving on side roads. But the lesser efficiency should help keep the accretion lower on the trees and power lines. 

This is a good example of how difficult and uncommon it is to get good ice accretion.  We had hours of steady light rain today with temperatures in the mid to upper 20s, yet trees and powerlines are not too compromised.  
I would say definitely over .10” here on most surfaces though. 

• Like 2