Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

7 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I’m convinced the DC metro/northern Virginia has sone of the worst traffic in the US. I’ve driven around LA easier.

LA wasn't as bad as I expected during time of days that are said to be terrible.  Only had a week out there on vacation so it didn't really matter, was heading to and from beaches, but they had enough lanes to handle the flow at some supposedly rush hour times.  Even to and from the airport in LA.  8-12 lanes wide at times, it was crowded but flowed at a good speed.  Its amazing what infrastructure can do... and space.  They have the space without thick forests to go wide out west.

45 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I've driven both and NYC is a lot easier than DC, DC was a nightmare, takes an hour to go 5 miles. I don't know how people live like that.

We’ve done quite a bit of hiring down there over the last 2 years and it takes a lot of money for people to accept the commute. I have also found that certain people just love living there despite all the BS. Makes no sense to me, I find it to be a suburban strip-mall wasteland myself. I guess it’s the same reason people put up with all the bullshit that comes with living in NYC. 

In terms of cities that I’ve lived in…

Craziest Drivers:

1) Houston (so many unregistered, poorly maintained vehicles weaving down 20 lane wide highways).

2) Boston 

3) NY (Drivers aren’t really crazy except for the cabbies IMO)

4) Dallas 

Worst Traffic:

1) NYC (but there are so many good public transit alternatives that I don’t have to sit in it much-so not much effect on my day to day life).

2) Houston

3) Boston

4) Dallas (overbuilt road system and lots of toll roads=winning)

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

LA wasn't as bad as I expected during time of days that are said to be terrible.  Only had a week out there on vacation so it didn't really matter, was heading to and from beaches, but they had enough lanes to handle the flow at some supposedly rush hour times.  Even to and from the airport in LA.  8-12 lanes wide at times, it was crowded but flowed at a good speed.  Its amazing what infrastructure can do... and space.  They have the space without thick forests to go wide out west.

DC can be the same way. Sometimes you get lucky. The unpredictability is what gets you. We have an inside joke about it around here in the defense community. If you have an 11 AM meeting at the Pentagon, do you leave at 6 AM and maybe get there right on time or 4 hours early, or do you leave at 9:30 and arrive right on time or 3 hours late? Impossible to really know. Also, if you aren’t back in the car headed north by 2:45 at the latest, you may as well stay for dinner and leave at 8. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Angels scored 7 runs in the top of the 9th to beat the Yanks 

I went to watch the highlights after seeing this post. Chapman blew it bad. Control issues it looked like.

This type of game will get Boone fired. 

13 hours ago, PhineasC said:

His original lawyer must have been terrible. Taking the “word” of the DA that he won’t prosecute instead of getting it in writing is gross legal malpractice. 

From what I read, the original prosecutor did a little "sleight of law" by not prosecuting so that Cosby was pressured into making a civil deposition, in which perjury could be penalized and no 5th A protection against self-incrimination.  Then at the later trial, under a new prosecutor, statements from the depo were cited, neatly neutering Cosby's 5th A rights.  I loved Bill Cosby the actor, but IMO he's a creep who richly deserves to be serving time, but who also deserves respect of his constitutional rights. 

18 minutes ago, tamarack said:

From what I read, the original prosecutor did a little "sleight of law" by not prosecuting so that Cosby was pressured into making a civil deposition, in which perjury could be penalized and no 5th A protection against self-incrimination.  Then at the later trial, under a new prosecutor, statements from the depo were cited, neatly neutering Cosby's 5th A rights.  I loved Bill Cosby the actor, but IMO he's a creep who richly deserves to be serving time, but who also deserves respect of his constitutional rights. 

As lengthening history eventually benefits from an indifferent lens ...

...this may go down as yet another shimmering example of how there is American Law, and then there is justice - and ne're the the twain shall meet for those victimized.  

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Yes, that’s it. But I think Cosby’s lawyer only advised Cosby to testify in the civil suit because he believed the DA would not press charges. There must have been statements or messages from the DA that were pretty firm for the PA Supreme Court to see fit to just vacate the entire thing. 

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So I’m leaving my job for another job. The company has a 60 day waiting period for health benefits.

What am I supposed to do for insurance for that time period? Anyone have any experience with that?

Could you bridge the gap with COBRA from your previous employment? As always ….

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

As lengthening history eventually benefits from an indifferent lens ...

...this may go down as yet another shimmering example of how there is American Law, and then there is justice - and ne're the the twain shall meet for those victimized.  

On the flip side, the state should have to do everything perfectly by the book and letter of the law and procedure in order to take away someone's freedom.

5 minutes ago, White Rain said:

You have 60 days to enroll in coverage like COBRA after losing your insurance. and when you do it will be retroactive to day 1. So you could wait it out and enroll if any major medical costs come up in that window.

So I could basically wait all the way until the new insurance kicks in? And if nothing happens in those 60 days I just don’t take the cobra and get on my new insurance? Seems reasonable… and if I have heart surgery I can still enroll in cobra after that?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Yes, that’s how it works. It doesn’t matter how expensive the medical costs are as long as you enroll in the 60 day window it will cover you back to the first day without insurance. It’s expensive so better than paying up front if you don’t think you will need it.

Thanks… seems like a screwy way to operate… 60 day waiting period that is… I wasn’t happy to hear that 

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Thanks… seems like a screwy way to operate… 60 day waiting period that is… I wasn’t happy to hear that 

Cobra is nutz expensive.  Try the govt site and sign up for catastrophic,  the cheapest. You are young so the odds of the next 60 days of a major health issue is pretty low. My Cobra was 2k I laughed and went with Govt sign up until Medicare kicked in.

46 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Cobra is nutz expensive.  Try the govt site and sign up for catastrophic,  the cheapest. You are young so the odds of the next 60 days of a major health issue is pretty low. My Cobra was 2k I laughed and went with Govt sign up until Medicare kicked in.

How much is Govt sign up Ginxy? and what does it cover?

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

It’s going to be like 1200 every other week… which is absurd.

I think mass has their own thing. Mass health connector I believe 

COBRA is the continuation of the healthcare policy you had prior to changing/losing your job. You are paying to continue coverage, that’s the C in COBRA. So you are paying the entire cost, not just the employee portion. This link says you can actually pay up to 102% of the plan premium.  
https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/health-plans/cobra

• Like 1