Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

24 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

There's a pond on this abandoned golf course where we walk the dogs that has a large beaver family. We were watching them swim around one afternoon and I guess we got to close and one of them came near shore and started slapping his tail on the water in our direction.

Oh yeah, it drives the dog nuts.  There will be 3 of them out there swimming around and slapping their tails in a big splash before going underwater.  The young ones love signaling the herd that some other creature is around.  After a few days watching them, the kids swim in very distinct routes in the shade while the adults take charge in the open.  Nature.

For the runners (or cyclists etc ) in here. 
Do you run when the temps are super high?

I ask this because I saw people out running when my car temp was showing 97F (5:15PM) yesterday.  
I understand if you do the running in the early morning before it gets super hot...but 97?  That seems unwise. 

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Oh yeah, it drives the dog nuts.  There will be 3 of them out there swimming around and slapping their tails in a big splash before going underwater.  The young ones love signaling the herd that some other creature is around.  After a few days watching them, the kids swim in very distinct routes in the shade while the adults take charge in the open.  Nature.

a few years ago while snowmobiling somewhere up north, we came across a smaller tree across the trail, looked pretty fresh. Sure enough, there was a beaver running down the trail just behind it with a big branch in its mouth. Cute, but destructive little fockers.

42 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I ask this because I saw people out running when my car temp was showing 97F (5:15PM) yesterday.  
I understand if you do the running in the early morning before it gets super hot...but 97?  That seems unwise. 

I ran 3 miles yesterday at about 6pm. It was 90 with a HI of 100.  It didn’t really bother me since the sun was low in the sky. Anything over 3 miles probably would have been too much though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I'm about to go out on the bicycle now, but it will definitely be a shorter ride than usual.  Planned to go out earlier, but had to do some work stuff first.  Lots of shade on my ride which does help.  Years ago I probably would have gone out midday or in the afternoon, but I am 67 now so a bit more cautious.  Also, on days like this I ride about a 2.5 mile loop from home so I can always cut it short if necessary.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ya’ll are fun to drive with.  My couple trips down to BOS/Logan as soon as hitting like Methuen south on 93 was like wall to wall traffic moving at like 80-85 on the slow side and 85-95 in the fast lanes.

I’ve gotten ticketed for 79mph on I-89 up here by a State Trooper. Down there 79mph would’ve needed your flashers on to alert drivers to how slow you were moving.

Reminds me of the account from a woman driving about 10 over the limit on 495 outside DC, while everyone else was blowing by about 30 mph faster.  She got pulled over and the trooper asked her, "Do you know why I stopped you?"
"You couldn't catch anyone else?"

First time I was on the newly raised limit on 95 in Maine was a forestry trip to Ashland.  The driver put cruise at 82 and it was amazing how quickly we made the 85 miles to the Smyrna exit.  Couldn't use cruise on Rt 11 (curves and logging trucks) but we went 75 there on the straightaways.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Reminds me of the account from a woman driving about 10 over the limit on 495 outside DC, while everyone else was blowing by about 30 mph faster.  She got pulled over and the trooper asked her, "Do you know why I stopped you?"
"You couldn't catch anyone else?"

First time I was on the newly raised limit on 95 in Maine was a forestry trip to Ashland.  The driver put cruise at 82 and it was amazing how quickly we made the 85 miles to the Smyrna exit.  Couldn't use cruise on Rt 11 (curves and logging trucks) but we went 75 there on the straightaways.

Must have been at 2:30 AM. Traffic is usually much slower on 495 between 4 AM and 9 PM (that's "rush hour").

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Must have been at 2:30 AM. Traffic is usually much slower on 495 between 4 AM and 9 PM (that's "rush hour").

Beltway traffic is pure insanity. Never saw anything like it. I gave myself an hour and a half to go 8 miles on my first day of work down there. I ended up being 20 minutes late meeting my new supervisor. Luckily, she was very understanding. 

I was on 495 west last Saturday afternoon. Was pretty bad.  Took the Easy pass express lanes just past Dumfries. That helped. Spent the night just past the end of the express lanes. 
I should have taken 495 East/95 south and gone over the WW. Every time I go 495 west through Tysons Corner and McLean, I regret it.

12 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Beltway traffic is pure insanity. Never saw anything like it. I gave myself an hour and a half to go 8 miles on my first day of work down there. I ended up being 20 minutes late meeting my new supervisor. Luckily, she was very understanding. 

Yeah, it's soul-crushing for sure. I hate when I have to drive down there. I avoid it whenever possible.

39 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

She claimed ..but you no longer work there, huh   ;)

LOL just kidding -

• Haha 1

Yeah, it's soul-crushing for sure. I hate when I have to drive down there. I avoid it whenever possible.

When our daughter - and then SIL + grandkids - lived in Greenville, SC, we quickly learned to take 84/81/77 to CLT thence 85 to G'ville.  One time about 15 years ago we needed to stop in Middletown NJ to visit my FIL, so went the hard way.  Lost 30 minutes in RIC thanks to an accident, then hit bumper-to-bumper 5 miles south of the Potomac bridge, 5 PM and 500 miles traveled.  Took a full hour to reach the bridge and no better north of the span.  Thought we'd be smart and take the alternate than goes by Ft. Meade but maybe not so smart - took 2+ hours to get past BWI.  We'd learned that morning that our chosen Super 8 (we had a discount card) just across the Delaware was still unfinished so we were lodgeless on Labor Day Sunday.  Found a place in Red Bank (changed the ethic mix there) after 760 miles and 14 hours.  Not our favorite trip.

Huh

Didn't see this coming

Bill Cosby's conviction was 'vacated' ?

... "His lawyer believes he will be released today" - CNN

I was under the impression that he was damned to eternal hell as a serial rapist by the liberal press over the last five years, but ..

vacated -

Almost seems Onionian comically non-sequitur considering that saga.  Wtf moment for today I guess.  - maybe there were revelations recently in all that i wasn't paying attention to. 

It's CNN tho. They have a couple other articles there about the "opinion of the court" and all this other stuff but I'm peevish to put in nicely, about any "informaiton" that stems from that f'ing adjective torpedo launcher news org and don't feel like having to roll eyes at the moment.

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

When our daughter - and then SIL + grandkids - lived in Greenville, SC, we quickly learned to take 84/81/77 to CLT thence 85 to G'ville.  One time about 15 years ago we needed to stop in Middletown NJ to visit my FIL, so went the hard way.  Lost 30 minutes in RIC thanks to an accident, then hit bumper-to-bumper 5 miles south of the Potomac bridge, 5 PM and 500 miles traveled.  Took a full hour to reach the bridge and no better north of the span.  Thought we'd be smart and take the alternate than goes by Ft. Meade but maybe not so smart - took 2+ hours to get past BWI.  We'd learned that morning that our chosen Super 8 (we had a discount card) just across the Delaware was still unfinished so we were lodgeless on Labor Day Sunday.  Found a place in Red Bank (changed the ethic mix there) after 760 miles and 14 hours.  Not our favorite trip.

I’m convinced the DC metro/northern Virginia has sone of the worst traffic in the US. I’ve driven around LA easier.

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Huh

Didn't see this coming

I was under the impression that he was damned to eternal hell as a serial rapist by the liberal press over the last five years, but ..

vacated -

Almost seems Onionian comically non-sequitur considering that saga.  Wtf momen for today I guess.  - maybe there were revelations recently in all that i wasn't paying attention to. 

It's CNN tho. They have a couple other articles there about the "opinion of the court" and all this other stuff but I'm peevish to put in nicely, about any "informaiton" that stems from that f'ing adjective torpedo launcher news org and don't feel like having to roll eyes at the moment.

He’ll be peddling puddin pops before you know it 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I’m convinced the DC metro/northern Virginia has sone of the worst traffic in the US. I’ve driven around LA easier.

It's bad, though my unfavorite place to drive is Manhattan, thanks mainly to the extra-aggressive cab drivers.  Our visit to our son's (then) home in Queens about 20 years ago was a relative walk in the park, once we discovered that the north end of 96th street was that no-sign "alley" under the El.

21 minutes ago, tamarack said:

It's bad, though my unfavorite place to drive is Manhattan, thanks mainly to the extra-aggressive cab drivers.  Our visit to our son's (then) home in Queens about 20 years ago was a relative walk in the park, once we discovered that the north end of 96th street was that no-sign "alley" under the El.

Oh I can navigate NYC no problem. 

trying to decide if i should replace my davis humidity/temp sensor for $50 or spring for new outdoor ISS, anemometer, rain gauge, FARS. The ISS was replaced in 2011. Replaced the rain reed switch last year. The console, which is fine is from 2005, as is rain bucket and anemometer, but the bucket is pretty beat up and brittle. I added FARS about 3yrs ago, but it's never run right and the fan hits the inner shroud, preventing it from spinning.

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

trying to decide if i should replace my davis humidity/temp sensor for $50 or spring for new outdoor ISS, anemometer, rain gauge, FARS. The ISS was replaced in 2011. Replaced the rain reed switch last year. The console, which is fine is from 2005, as is rain bucket and anemometer, but the bucket is pretty beat up and brittle. I added FARS about 3yrs ago, but it's never run right and the fan hits the inner shroud, preventing it from spinning.

If you don’t mind some downtime you could talk to Davis about a refurb. Send the whole thing in, they replace certain parts, and send it back. I may do that with my solar and UV sensors rather than pay $400 new not incl sipping.

The fan problem is weird…never heard of that and I can’t quite visual what you mean. Another option for rain would be to try the Rainwise Rainew111 which is a NWS standard 8” diameter bucket. It has a larger tipping spoon too. You can wire it to a Davis cord and just plug it to the ISS like you would the Davis gauge. I have one and will get around to installing it one of these days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Huh

Didn't see this coming

vacated -

Almost seems Onionian comically non-sequitur considering that saga.  Wtf moment for today I guess.  - maybe there were revelations recently in all that i wasn't paying attention to. 

His original lawyer must have been terrible. Taking the “word” of the DA that he won’t prosecute instead of getting it in writing is gross legal malpractice. 

• Like 1