Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, DotRat_Wx said:

??? 

You can prevent being hit by a car on the sidewalk? Or choking on food? Those seem like unpreventable accidents. You won't catch covid if you quarantine

Last sentence is not true unless you live alone in a cabin in the woods, and yes most accidents are preventable 

21 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Last sentence is not true unless you live alone in a cabin in the woods, and yes most accidents are preventable 

Food was probably the worst example of any I could have picked. 

Dying in a plane crash or hit by a car walking on the sidewalk just doesn't feel preventable to me on the part of the victim. 

I could see your point. If you never leave your house. One could say that's the point of covid quarantine. But this is a temporary measure versus say permanently refusing to ever fly or walk down the street. 

Is it considered preventable on the part of the driver or pilot? I guess... But the victim? You can't do anything to prevent it besides luck

7 minutes ago, natedizel said:

Ya but if you live alone in the woods a bear might eat you haha.

I quarantined but my wife worked and several of her coworkers got it mildly.  I was nervous for a while. But now we full open and not at least concerned with anything.  Life goes on.

6 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Food was probably the worst example of any I could have picked. 

Dying in a plane crash or hit by a car walking on the sidewalk just doesn't feel preventable to me on the part of the victim. 

I could see your point. If you never leave your house. One could say that's the point of covid quarantine. But this is a temporary measure versus say permanently refusing to ever fly or walk down the street. 

Is it considered preventable on the part of the driver or pilot? I guess... But the victim? You can't do anything to prevent it besides luck

You can die having sex it it your fault or the driver?

2 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Hey folks... I'd love to buy a more advanced wx station. Connection to the internet and mesonet is a must. I want to be able to easily check it on my phone. How much would it cost? Also... Needs to be able to move easily. I won't be here permanently. 

What's your budget?

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

What's your budget?

Honestly, I'm flexible. I would say mid range. I've been waiting to get one since I was 12.

I just don't know how much work it takes to install one. Would it have to be hard wired? I do have the benefit of outdoor plugs. It's a 3 story triple decker in the city, so less outdoor requirements the better. 

26 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Honestly, I'm flexible. I would say mid range. I've been waiting to get one since I was 12.

I just don't know how much work it takes to install one. Would it have to be hard wired? I do have the benefit of outdoor plugs. It's a 3 story triple decker in the city, so less outdoor requirements the better. 

i have the Ambient weather WS-1001-WiFi and it works great. under $200 and very easy to set up and connect to wunderground. It's all wireless, you could mount the station to your deck railing. Wouldn't get @dendrite approved accuracy, but still get a good idea of temp and rainfall.

26 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

i have the Ambient weather WS-1001-WiFi and it works great. under $200 and very easy to set up and connect to wunderground. It's all wireless, you could mount the station to your deck railing. Wouldn't get @dendrite approved accuracy, but still get a good idea of temp and rainfall.

37 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

You can do wireless with a Davis. Do you actually have a spot to site it properly or would it be on a balcony against the side of the building? There’s not a lot of point spending mid range money on a station if the rain and wind is getting blocked by a building and you have radiated heat affecting temp reading from a roof or vent. 

If you’re around the $150-200 mark you’re talking Ambient. $350-400 and it’s a Davis Vue. $600 and it’s a Davis VP2 with FARS. $1k and you’re getting into the high end Davis with solar/uv/soil sensors.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You can do wireless with a Davis. Do you actually have a spot to site it properly or would it be on a balcony against the side of the building? There’s not a lot of point spending mid range money on a station if the rain and wind is getting blocked by a building and you have radiated heat affecting temp reading from a roof or vent. 

If you’re around the $150-200 mark you’re talking Ambient. $350-400 and it’s a Davis Vue. $600 and it’s a Davis VP2 with FARS. $1k and you’re getting into the high end Davis with solar/uv/soil sensors.

Jay is big time now, money no object 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Spend the extra $50 and get the Atlas. I have had mine since it came out and have had no issues with it. It supposedly has the same sensirion sensor as a Davis. You will need the online hub if you want to connect it online. 

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01009M-Weather-Definition-Touchscreen/dp/B074XK7GRQ

5 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Spend the extra $50 and get the Atlas. I have had mine since it came out and have had no issues with it. It supposedly has the same sensirion sensor as a Davis. You will need the online hub if you want to connect it online. 

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01009M-Weather-Definition-Touchscreen/dp/B074XK7GRQ

The problem is the sensor is enclosed…it has a lot of thermal mass and slower response time. A FARS is superior to a passive shield as well. So even though it’s the same sensor the other factors make a huge difference. If you want the most accurate temps possible…you pretty much need to go with a FARS. Maybe a station on the beach or on a summit sees negligible difference.

• Like 1

I will probably get this one.

AcuRite Atlas 01007M Weather Station with Temperature and Humidity Gauge, Rainfall, Wind Speed, Direction & Lightning Detection for Home Forecast

So there is a link with frequently bought together... Do I need to get all those extras?

@dendrite This will be set up off my back deck. I don't have a better option. It's better than nothing.

3 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

So if I buy that station, I don't need it to be hard wired in any way right? It would run off batteries and connect wirelessly to the indoor station?

I assume it is solar and wireless. Most of the remote units are solar with battery backup now, I think. I have one from Ambient Weather that works that way. It's fine for my needs.

You will need a hard line for the base station inside connected to your router.

46 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

I will probably get this one.

AcuRite Atlas 01007M Weather Station with Temperature and Humidity Gauge, Rainfall, Wind Speed, Direction & Lightning Detection for Home Forecast

So there is a link with frequently bought together... Do I need to get all those extras?

@dendrite This will be set up off my back deck. I don't have a better option. It's better than nothing.

Thats what I have. Its fine not shielded though so find a shade spot. Solar wireless

• Like 1