Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Rhetorical question, and somewhat irrelevant.  How many smallpox or measles survivors got the disease a 2nd time?  Only anecdotal, but I had measles about 1952 before the vaccine was available afaik and haven't contracted it again. (Also have not been tested for immunity.)

Would you rather have pressed your luck with said diseases or have gotten vaccine induced immunity. 

I think I'd rather get the vaccine and not chance it. Each disease is different too.

We've yet to fully understand the after effects of COVID. 

16 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Would you rather have pressed your luck with said diseases or have gotten vaccine induced immunity. 

I think I'd rather get the vaccine and not chance it. 

Humans, starting with homo habilis, have been on earth for about 2 million years. Modern humans for about 200,000. The human immune system has fought off all manner of virus’. Sometimes with success, sometimes not. I suspect this little respiratory virus in the grand scheme of all of natural history is a small blip on the radar. If human survival depended on a vaccine for every little virus that we encountered, we would have been extinct a few eons ago. I think 99.999% of the unvaccinated world population that come into contact with the Wuhan laboratory flu will fare ok.

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Weirdly New Hampshire was the last places I had to wear a mask in mid-June.  Stopped off I-89 near Whaleback a week ago when driving the wife to Boston and my wife went in, came back to the car while I was pumping gas and said they made her go get a mask (like gas station, Subway, etc).  Credit card statement said Enfield, NH and they still had signs up for masks required but looked like a town declaration.

But then on the way back up I stopped at a different town in SE NH nearby and they also had mask required signs up that also looked like another town requirement.

Oddly enough two days ago we stopped at the same exact place after I picked her up and in that week’s time they had removed the mask mandate.

Down to just LEB now and that ends 6/30.

https://www.nhpr.org/post/covid-map-which-new-hampshire-towns-require-masks#stream/0

A lot of the towns let them expire for 6/1. I remember seeing Enfield a few weeks ago and thinking that was a weird one. I wanna say Franconia too.

27 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I think I'd rather get the vaccine and not chance it. Each disease is different too.

We've yet to fully understand the after effects of COVID. 

Anyone relatively young and healthy should never get this vaccine 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Down to just LEB now and that ends 6/30.

https://www.nhpr.org/post/covid-map-which-new-hampshire-towns-require-masks#stream/0

A lot of the towns let them expire for 6/1. I remember seeing Enfield a few weeks ago and thinking that was a weird one. I wanna say Franconia too.

Yeah that makes sense.  It was weird.  Enfield had that country, rural vibe just off 89… couple gas stations that have seen better days with some 18-wheelers in the lot.  Told my wife there is no way in hell this place is going to make you put on a mask, sure enough she comes back like wtf the Citgo dude over there asked me where my mask was, thought he was joking until I saw the signs still up :lol:.  

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that makes sense.  It was weird.  Enfield had that country, rural vibe just off 89… couple gas stations that have seen better days with some 18-wheelers in the lot.  Told my wife there is no way in hell this place is going to make you put on a mask, sure enough she comes back like wtf the Citgo dude over there asked me where my mask was, thought he was joking until I saw the signs still up :lol:.  

Maybe the gas station owner is from Vermont.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Maybe the gas station owner is from Vermont.

Nah our Republican Governor lifted that stuff a little while ago ;).  Like Dendrite said, some head scratchers for towns in NH that kept mask mandates for a while in places you normally wouldn’t expect.

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Weirdly New Hampshire was the last places I had to wear a mask in mid-June.  Stopped off I-89 near Whaleback a week ago when driving the wife to Boston and my wife went in, came back to the car while I was pumping gas and said they made her go get a mask (like gas station, Subway, etc).  Credit card statement said Enfield, NH and they still had signs up for masks required but looked like a town declaration.

But then on the way back up I stopped at a different town in SE NH nearby and they also had mask required signs up that also looked like another town requirement.

Oddly enough two days ago we stopped at the same exact place after I picked her up and in that week’s time they had removed the mask mandate.

Me too, at the Home Depot in W. Leb. Lebanon city ordinance was still in place. 

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nah our Republican Governor lifted that stuff a little while ago ;).  Like Dendrite said, some head scratchers for towns in NH that kept mask mandates for a while in places you normally wouldn’t expect.

A lot of these little towns are run by a handful of people elected by another handful of their friends and neighbors. Lots of little weird ordinances around.

Not to distract from the endless Covid talk but I had a pretty cool weather day. Today was a travel say from the Black Hills to Cody, WY. When we left  SD it was cool and damp. It rained on and off for a part of the way to Buffalo, WY and temps were in the low 60’s. I did not research the road between Buffalo and Cody though and did not realize it is actually called the Cloud Peak Scenic Skyway. https://travelwyoming.com/listings/cloud-peak-skyway-scenic-byway
This road was spectacular and that was in pretty heavy rain. It tops out at 9666’ in the Powder River Pass and then goes down through the Ten Sleeps Canyon. On top the car thermo read 40° and there was graupel mixed with rain at times. The peaks around the pass still had patches of snow, I thought of your dog PF. On the other side we went through a huge stretch of arid, empty land and the temp got up to 83°. We are in Cody now and will do some exploring tomorrow. Wyoming is crazy and we haven’t even gotten to Yellowstone or the Tetons yet. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

image.gif.fb726cd9308722f410c4361015383610.gif

The United States collective response to bringing back masks.

Seriously, is there a worse message than get the vaccine to get back to normal, and then saying, get the vaccine and continue to follow all the same precautions. Yikes 

Just noise to try and scare/motivate more to get vaccinated. The “delta variant” is the latest scare tactic to motivate more vaccination. I saw something a couple days ago about a delta plus variant. SMH

But I dont think even the most hard core blue state governors will put a mask mandate back on. 
People are going to have to get used to the fact that there will be hot spots around the country for the foreseeable future. Deaths are down and pretty flat. Hospitals are fine. Like I’ve said before, all this widespread testing needs to end. It’s just unnecessary  at this point, IMO. 

5 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Just noise to try and scare/motivate more to get vaccinated. The “delta variant” is the latest scare tactic to motivate more vaccination. But even the most hard core blue state governors won’t put a mask mandate back on. 
People are going to have to get used to the fact that there will be hot spots around the country for the foreseeable future. Deaths are down and pretty flat. Hospitals are fine. Like I’ve said before, all this widespread testing needs to end. 

Covids here to stay.... Probably forever. The horses are out the barn. Australia doing lock downs for 10 cases. They gonna have 10 cases for the next 100 yeara. Dont wanna get sick then lock yourself in a closet

2 minutes ago, natedizel said:

Covids here to stay.... Probably forever. The horses are out the barn. Australia doing lock downs for 10 cases. They gonna have 10 cases for the next 100 yeara. Dont wanna get sick then lock yourself in a closet

Countries such as Canada and Australia are currently undergoing a "societal reset." The governments there will keep the restrictions and social engineering efforts going as they quietly pivot the rationale from fighting COVID to fighting inequality, climate change, and cybersecurity threats. These things will all be used to restrict people's freedoms and force them to become more and more dependent on the government. I definitely expect harsher Internet lockdowns to become the norm in these countries, followed by harsher electricity and fuel usage restrictions and food shortages. All in the name of the mommy state keeping you safe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, natedizel said:

Australia basically has a zero Covid policy. That’s not realistic. 
India’s numbers are way down. You think thats because of vaccinations and “public health measures” like masking? No.  It’s what respiratory virus’ do. They burn for awhile, peak out, and fall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

The Blue Jays should just stay in Buffalo. F*ck Canada.

Politics are weird (almost like a sport) but have you ever spent good time there?  The population doesn’t riot unless a hockey team loses, there’s not this revolt mentality.  To that end everyone is very nice and accepting. The citizens don’t get worked up over much, they just go about their lives.  

There’s a very clean and strong sense of upkeep in personal property, even in the countryside north of us in NNE. The difference between rural NY/VT/NH/ME and rural Quebec is interesting with less visible clutter outside, no cars on cinderblocks haha.  Appearance matters to the population, like they are trying to please someone.

I think it’s what happens with a very homogeneous population and a strong sense of trust with fellow citizens. You can see it in several northern tier nations across the globe too.  Trustworthy, less conflict, and less conspiratorial.

This isn’t a commentary on what’s better or worse, more interested in the deeper psychological reasons why.  Anthropology line of thinking. 

• Like 1

Red Sox take game 1 against the Yankees.  Sold out Fenway crowd, you love to see it.  Pedroia deserved it.  Great guy.  Weird story, I literally hooked him up to the zipline at Stowe twice back then.  His boys loved the rock gym.  Was surprised he didn’t have a clause in his contract that didn’t allow risky activities with your hands.  Zip lining maiming usually happens to hands that try to grab the cable to stop.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Not to a downer, but is there realistically any hope to find anyone alive in that building collapse? They didn’t find a single person today, and we are approaching 48 hours after the event.

For reference. The last survivor was pulled from the rubble of 9/11 27 hours after it happened.

Its just so sad

Probably just bodies now unless there is a miracle air pocket situation.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Politics are weird (almost like a sport) but have you ever spent good time there?  The population doesn’t riot unless a hockey team loses, there’s not this revolt mentality.  To that end everyone is very nice and accepting. The citizens don’t get worked up over much, they just go about their lives.  

There’s a very clean and strong sense of upkeep in personal property, even in the countryside north of us in NNE. The difference between rural NY/VT/NH/ME and rural Quebec is interesting with less visible clutter outside, no cars on cinderblocks haha.  Appearance matters to the population, like they are trying to please someone.

I think it’s what happens with a very homogeneous population and a strong sense of trust with fellow citizens. You can see it in several northern tier nations across the globe too.  Trustworthy, less conflict, and less conspiratorial.

This isn’t a commentary on what’s better or worse, more interested in the deeper psychological reasons why.  Anthropology line of thinking. 

My opinion on Canada is probably not good fodder for this thread and subforum so I won't peddle it in here. I just think it's silly for them to still be so locked down that their MLB team has to play in Buffalo, NY. 

• Like 1

Not to distract from the endless Covid talk but I had a pretty cool weather day. Today was a travel say from the Black Hills to Cody, WY. When we left  SD it was cool and damp. It rained on and off for a part of the way to Buffalo, WY and temps were in the low 60’s. I did not research the road between Buffalo and Cody though and did not realize it is actually called the Cloud Peak Scenic Skyway. https://travelwyoming.com/listings/cloud-peak-skyway-scenic-byway
This road was spectacular and that was in pretty heavy rain. It tops out at 9666’ in the Powder River Pass and then goes down through the Ten Sleeps Canyon. On top the car thermo read 40° and there was graupel mixed with rain at times. The peaks around the pass still had patches of snow, I thought of your dog PF. On the other side we went through a huge stretch of arid, empty land and the temp got up to 83°. We are in Cody now and will do some exploring tomorrow. Wyoming is crazy and we haven’t even gotten to Yellowstone or the Tetons yet. 

That sounds awesome. There are some great roads out here to travel. Have a great rest of your trip, we had back home tomorrow.

45 minutes ago, Dan said:

That sounds awesome. There are some great roads out here to travel. Have a great rest of your trip, we had back home tomorrow.

Yesterday we did the wildlife loop in Custer. The bison herd was near the middle the loop, near the wildlife center. We drive through them and also saw a couple of pronghorns, a ton of prairie dogs and the burros. Then, instead of completing the loop, we took a back, gravel road to Wind Cave. We were the only car for miles. We saw another herd of bison, more prairie dogs and a coyote that was pouncing on something. It felt like we were back in the 1800’s. 

5D4CD0AA-AADD-4B22-8DC8-8FFA77F81205.jpeg

87FE0EE0-4B9A-4D39-B8BC-35A784050736.jpeg

• Like 3