Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,529
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    christians
    Newest Member
    christians
    Joined

Met Summer Banter


HoarfrostHubb
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

One note about masking.  We just got back from our little Maine trip. 
The hotel we stayed at had a “mask required” in common areas sign on the door.  As we were checking in (we put on masks, the employee behind glass did not) we asked and he confirmed masks were required in common areas.  Ok.  So we masked when in those areas.  Almost no one else did.  It was awkward.  
 

In restaurants, shops etc almost no one had masks other than servers at some restaurants.   
It was odd 

I haven't worn a mask since mid-April, I think. That time is in the past. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

One note about masking.  We just got back from our little Maine trip. 
The hotel we stayed at had a “mask required” in common areas sign on the door.  As we were checking in (we put on masks, the employee behind glass did not) we asked and he confirmed masks were required in common areas.  Ok.  So we masked when in those areas.  Almost no one else did.  It was awkward.  
 

In restaurants, shops etc almost no one had masks other than servers at some restaurants.   
It was odd 

You should have thrown a fit. I'm from Massachusetts!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I frankly don't care. If they wanna risk their lives then by all means go ahead.

Have fun gasping for air.

And if the unvaccinated complain that they can't access certain places bc businesses require vaccination then I also don't care. 

Welcome to the free market. 

I haven't seen any businesses I want to go to requiring vaccines. It appears the dream some had of us unvaccinated buttheads finally getting our comeuppance has fizzled out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I haven't seen any businesses I want to go to requiring vaccines. It appears the dream some had of us unvaccinated buttheads finally getting our comeuppance has fizzled out.

Pretty much all of the businesses we went into had signs saying masks were not required if fully vaccinated.   But no one was checking etc.    it’s done. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, White Rain said:

What about people that had COVID and are immune? Do you believe they should be punished if not vaccinated too? 

Natural immunity seems to last maybe 6 months tops. 

The science doesn't lie. 99.2% of current hospitalizations/deaths are from those unvaccinated. The vaccines are extremely effective.

No one's forcing you to get one. At this point you're on your own just don't get upset if businesses or schools start requiring vaccination. It is also their right to do so, just ask Morgan Stanley. 

34 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I haven't seen any businesses I want to go to requiring vaccines. It appears the dream some had of us unvaccinated buttheads finally getting our comeuppance has fizzled out.

For the record I don't want unvaccinated people to meet their maker...that's psychotic. 

However there's no question cases will go up again in the fall/winter and the unvaxxed will be targeted. But w.e it's your risk not mine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Natural immunity seems to last maybe 6 months tops. 

The science doesn't lie. 99.2% of current hospitalizations/deaths are from those unvaccinated. The vaccines are extremely effective.

No one's forcing you to get one. At this point you're on your own just don't get upset if businesses or schools start requiring vaccination. It is also their right to do so, just ask Morgan Stanley. 

For the record I don't want unvaccinated people to meet their maker...that's psychotic. 

However there's no question cases will go up again in the fall/winter and the unvaxxed will be targeted. But w.e it's your risk not mine. 

Survival of the fittest-I would not want to go into January with no vaxx 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I haven't worn a mask since mid-April, I think. That time is in the past. 

Weirdly New Hampshire was the last places I had to wear a mask in mid-June.  Stopped off I-89 near Whaleback a week ago when driving the wife to Boston and my wife went in, came back to the car while I was pumping gas and said they made her go get a mask (like gas station, Subway, etc).  Credit card statement said Enfield, NH and they still had signs up for masks required but looked like a town declaration.

But then on the way back up I stopped at a different town in SE NH nearby and they also had mask required signs up that also looked like another town requirement.

Oddly enough two days ago we stopped at the same exact place after I picked her up and in that week’s time they had removed the mask mandate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

'Conventional wisdom' ...what wisdom is that exactly ?

Vitamin C from an orange vs a pill ... no difference.  The chemistry has no distinction in biologic processes.  Likewise, the triggering of a T and B lymphocytic response is no different.  There's no virtuosity policeman in your blood telling your T and B cells, ' Heh, go easy. You don't have to study for that test -it's only half going to effect your grade'  Lol. 

Also, the whole of the this argument about nature versus nurture in this case has a fundamental logical point of contention ( if not flaw ) to me. 

Namely, this outbreak and subsequent Pandemic appears ever so, to have an origin in an unnaturally occurring phenomenon.   So, shouldn't it be reasonable to question whether a naturally occurring systemic response might be insufficient ? mmm. 

It seems there would need a proportionate angle of attack - like ... an equally/or better man-made vaccine weapon as a mitigator.   In short, it is okay to question natural immune response capacity to actually respond to something that was not natural ( as in inorganically ) in its origin.

You know, ..frankly, I want to credit humanity for getting three distinct vaccine forms into Beta workability so fast, like way ahead of the scientific arc timing for these things, as all a conceit of modern tech and for now, ..fine. Let's go with that.  But maybe a memo of its origin and how to countermand was also passed into the backdoor of these labs - something that would be possible if they already knew how to do it.  haha

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Ever heard of smallpox or measles. 

You think they just died out from natural immunity.

People who have had the measles don't really need to get vaccinated for it. I had chicken pox when I was 4. Never had a vaccine. When I worked at the Brigham a few years ago, I needed to get a chicken pox titer. Through the roof. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, White Rain said:

Its generally accepted if you get chickenpox you are immune, no? Typically if you are not vaccinated it will result in you getting more sick and having an increased immune response. This results in better protection.

unless you die that is....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Its generally accepted if you get chickenpox you are immune, no? Typically if you are not vaccinated it will result in you getting more sick and having an increased immune response. This results in better protection.

"generally accepted" is tantamount to urban legend, first of all.  Half of common wisdom is in fact 100% fallacy.  Where there was intimation that one was better than the other,  that is the wrong - we don't know that.

That's conjecture and that's fine - that what we do here. Heh.  I mean it's all good. 

But I also like the other point there, that this isn't wasn't an organically occurring virus in nature ( as evidence presently stands ) - so, it is unwise to assume an organically occurring immune system can mount a proportional and winning response. 

I mean, getting into sci fi ... but, it's a matter of time when human "genius" out does nature entirely, and creates some dastardly thing where there can be no response ... But that's a digression -

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Ever heard of smallpox or measles. 

You think they just died out from natural immunity.

Rhetorical question, and somewhat irrelevant.  How many smallpox or measles survivors got the disease a 2nd time?  Only anecdotal, but I had measles about 1952 before the vaccine was available afaik and haven't contracted it again. (Also have not been tested for immunity.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, White Rain said:

What about people that had COVID and are immune? Do you believe they should be punished if not vaccinated too? 

Also the low number of people who are contraindicated for ANY vaccine due to medical reasons.  Might run afoul of ADA by blocking those folks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Weirdly New Hampshire was the last places I had to wear a mask in mid-June.  Stopped off I-89 near Whaleback a week ago when driving the wife to Boston and my wife went in, came back to the car while I was pumping gas and said they made her go get a mask (like gas station, Subway, etc).  Credit card statement said Enfield, NH and they still had signs up for masks required but looked like a town declaration.

But then on the way back up I stopped at a different town in SE NH nearby and they also had mask required signs up that also looked like another town requirement.

Oddly enough two days ago we stopped at the same exact place after I picked her up and in that week’s time they had removed the mask mandate.

Yeah, probably still a lot of local regs on the books out there. Also may be dependent on how spooked or compliance/risk-minded the individual business owners are. I don't usually stop in southern NH when I come up so I am not sure where they ever landed with masks.

Last time I was in NJ at a rest stop in early June I know they were still totally masked-up and "socially distanced." Not sure if they have eased up since then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, White Rain said:

I enjoy your posts by the way even if I dont agree with you at times. Most of the time you are spot on with your analysis. Natural immunity to chickenpox isn’t an urban myth though.

I'm not sure when I averred otherwise - where's that coming from? 

I don't think I was part of that conversation.  LOL

Look, ..a bloke gets a new virus.  The body responds.  If he survives, the body has a 'natural immunity' -   right.  Who's in contention of that? 

But, to say that a vaccine is less effective in getting the bloke to the same immunity, that is not true.  That's all -

Anything else, ..I wasn't involved in that stream of pings -

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Some how, some way... we will survive. Pray for my safety.

Be safe, Phineas. Some how, someway, somewhere the sharks and the jets will join in shared grief, wiser, as they move together and carry their loss into the future. As always …

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...