• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

So, the Tetons don’t suck. We are in Casper for the night. From Jackson to Casper is 4.5 hours. That part of Wyoming is the emptiest place I’ve ever seen. Cows, pronghorns and a couple of coyotes. It’s beautiful in its own way. Speed limit is 70 on all the roads and 80 was the norm. 

878F4A9A-2C4B-43C0-A536-4572C65D83F7.jpeg

• Like 7

On 6/27/2021 at 5:46 PM, powderfreak said:

I’ve always wanted to drive Beartooth Pass.  Cool little summer ski area up there, though I think the heat caused a major avalanche that took most of their snowpack with it.

I just looked it up. Funky little place for true die hards I guess. 
https://beartoothbasin.com

I gotta say though, you have to love a places that has signs saying it’s illegal to ride snowmobiles on US Rt. 212. 
And I figured out we didn’t do the Beartooth Pass. We turned back int Wyoming before it. 

• Like 1

I'm kinda bummed.  The current Iceland volcano appears to be becoming a shield volcano.  Good news, it might keep erupting for the next 6 months to 50 years.  The bad news, not as photogenic.

Lol at the people walking across the lava fields that have molten lava underneath the thin crust.   Darwin will be getting ready

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I'm kinda bummed.  The current Iceland volcano appears to be becoming a shield volcano.  Good news, it might keep erupting for the next 6 months to 50 years.  The bad news, not as photogenic.

Lol at the people walking across the lava fields that have molten lava underneath the thin crust.   Darwin will be getting ready

You might enjoy the series “Katla” on Netflix. It centers around a small town in Iceland dealing with an active volcano. 

14 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

That could be 4 home runs in two innings, I say replace him with someone else til he gets his head on straight, if that can even happen.

He just needs time to adjust his mechanics ... now that MLB has cracked down on 'artificial means' to enhance performance. 

He may re-invent himself ?

Granted it is true, the organization/front office would rather win now, and not wait around any lengthy amount of time for that to happen - should it take awhile for 'im to come 'round. no -

But, he has the arm throwing strength still - it's not like the cannon is gone. So long as that is the case, it's worth it to wait some time; and it is just hard enough to find 95 mph arms in the world to at least give it that chance.  

The gist on him is that when they took the "grit" out of the palm, the spin rates on cutters - across the league actually ... fell off  - immediately showed a reduction in b-ball spin rates...etc.. Less torque, less gyro balls. 

So we all know this.  Imagine trying to prove this 30 years ago, though?  Ha.  They did have the tech in place for counting revolutions for minute of a 90+ mph 2.86" diameter ball moving 60 feet 6 inches.  This has probably been going on for generations is my point there - I mean, 'cheating' and getting an edge, without actually hurting babies ( Geesh) has been going on in all human-based competition ..I think the first documented case of cheating was 654,000 years ago in evolutionary past but don't quote me -

It's another watershed moment in the game ...just like the' roid -home run derby of the 1990s, and the sign stealing shit in recent decade, now this.  Eventually, we'll have cleaned the game up to the point where it is banal and uninteresting, and we'll be poetically forced to learn that much of our lust for the big game excitement can't happen when competition is utterly fair - or so fair that no side has enough of an advantage to trigger the spectacle people really came to see.  LOL ...

I say let them roid. Let them sticky bun their palms.  If they are all doing it, than it's fair just the same.  What's the difference ?  

Oh..I'm sure someone with an astute moment of insight may come back with a reason for that, but at the end of the day...  hate to say, if the game's spectacle gets neutered down to some sort of robotic fairness, people will turn away from boredom.   

5 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I didn’t even know that was a real city and volcano HA

City is a bit of a stretch. Lol.   Population is around 350. very photogenic though
The real volcano is currently covered by a big glacier. When it goes that will melt pretty quickly and flooding will be an issue.  

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

He just needs time to adjust his mechanics ... now that MLB has cracked down on 'artificial means' to enhance performance. 

He may re-invent himself ?

Granted it is true, the organization/front office would rather win now, and not wait around any lengthy amount of time for that to happen - should it take awhile for 'im to come 'round. no -

But, he has the arm throwing strength still - it's not like the cannon is gone. So long as that is the case, it's worth it to wait some time; and it is just hard enough to find 95 mph arms in the world to at least give it that chance.  

The gist on him is that when they took the "grit" out of the palm, the spin rates on cutters - across the league actually ... fell off  - immediately showed a reduction in b-ball spin rates...etc.. Less torque, less gyro balls. 

So we all know this.  Imagine trying to prove this 30 years ago, though?  Ha.  They did have the tech in place for counting revolutions for minute of a 90+ mph 2.86" diameter ball moving 60 feet 6 inches.  This has probably been going on for generations is my point there - I mean, 'cheating' and getting an edge, without actually hurting babies ( Geesh) has been going on in all human-based competition ..I think the first documented case of cheating was 654,000 years ago in evolutionary past but don't quote me -

It's another watershed moment in the game ...just like the' roid -home run derby of the 1990s, and the sign stealing shit in recent decade, now this.  Eventually, we'll have cleaned the game up to the point where it is banal and uninteresting, and we'll be poetically forced to learn that much of our lust for the big game excitement can't happen when competition is utterly fair - or so fair that no side has enough of an advantage to trigger the spectacle people really came to see.  LOL ...

I say let them roid. Let them sticky bun their palms.  If they are all doing it, than it's fair just the same.  What's the difference ?  

Oh..I'm sure someone with an astute moment of insight may come back with a reason for that, but at the end of the day...  hate to say, if the game's spectacle gets neutered down to some sort of robotic fairness, people will turn away from boredom.   

Ya i hear ya. But its all about the younger people. They dont want the responsibility of kids in high school who will start using steriods. 

2 hours ago, natedizel said:

Ya i hear ya. But its all about the younger people. They dont want the responsibility of kids in high school who will start using steriods. 

There is a whole grey area now with HRT therapy , which is effectively IM shots of injectable testosterone (but usually written at a lower dose than a gym rat would inject ) . That “LOW T” /“Hormone replacement therapy market is Huge and is a grey area where players of all sports from MMA to MLB try to receive exemptions , so they can effectively become a bit stronger , earn more money (thru improved performance and or duration ) and be under a dr’s supervision . These exemptions are also sought after regarding adderral and other nutropic (cognitive enhancing compounds ). pharmacology plays a significant role in all sports 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

City is a bit of a stretch. Lol.   Population is around 350. very photogenic though
The real volcano is currently covered by a big glacier. When it goes that will melt pretty quickly and flooding will be an issue.  

Some years back (15-20?) the near-surface magma created a large glacial lake in Iceland, and when it finally broke thru the ice barrier the estimated flow was 2 million cfs.  Might be more than the biggest flood on the Mississippi.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Rotating ibuprofen and Tylenol. Don't want stomach ulcer so won't do for more than a day or two. This more painful then the hernias I've had.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

You won’t get an ulcer. And it takes months of over doses to do liver damage. Take the meds!

You can rotate every 3 hours, which I assume you’re doing. You can do up to 4000 mg of acetaminophen a day and 3200 mg per day of ibuprofen. Divide each dose by 4. 
Take the meds. They aren’t addictive. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

You won’t get an ulcer. And it takes months of over doses to do liver damage. Take the meds!

You can rotate every 3 hours, which I assume you’re doing. You can do up to 4000 mg of acetaminophen a day and 3200 mg per day of ibuprofen. Divide each dose by 4. 
Take the meds. They aren’t addictive. 

image.thumb.jpeg.48832f10799efefd38e6c0ea11b6a158.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, mreaves said:

So, the Tetons don’t suck. We are in Casper for the night. From Jackson to Casper is 4.5 hours. That part of Wyoming is the emptiest place I’ve ever seen. Cows, pronghorns and a couple of coyotes. It’s beautiful in its own way. Speed limit is 70 on all the roads and 80 was the norm. 

878F4A9A-2C4B-43C0-A536-4572C65D83F7.jpeg

Speed limit is 70 in OH/IN too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Speed limit on the mass pike is 80. At least on my speedometer at 6:30 am weekdays 

:lol:

Ya’ll are fun to drive with.  My couple trips down to BOS/Logan as soon as hitting like Methuen south on 93 was like wall to wall traffic moving at like 80-85 on the slow side and 85-95 in the fast lanes.

I’ve gotten ticketed for 79mph on I-89 up here by a State Trooper. Down there 79mph would’ve needed your flashers on to alert drivers to how slow you were moving.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, snowman21 said:

Tatis Jr had 3 HRs by the 4th inning against the Diamondbacks the other day. Pitchers should just walk them and Ohtani at this point. Give 'em the Bonds with the bases loaded treatment.

Schwarber hit two last night and just hit another in the 1st inning tonight.  Now 12 in last 10 games and 16 homers in past 18 games.  Why pitch to him?  Ha the pitchers reaction is great, like “you’ve got to be shitting me.”

Whole family of beavers have moved into the river out back.  They've completely damned it up wall to wall in like 3 days, pretty impressive.

At one point we counted 6 of them swimming around.  Probably mom, dad, and four kids.  They drop a couple mature trees a night and mow vegetation down like crazy.

The work ethic is impressive though, they've got rocks and mud on top of their dam which is about 18" tall so far.

2L8A1256_edited-1-1.thumb.jpg.44ee25542ad0237c045fdeaf27491a19.jpg

2L8A1237_edited-1-1.thumb.jpg.f6f24ab90f330edb72d2569202349c19.jpg

• Like 3