Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

So my mom has been in the hospital for 5 days with c diff and now one of my nephew’s friends was killed in a car accident in Londonderry last night. Terrible.

Awful Brian!  So sorry!   Hopefully mom gets to the other side soon.

• Thanks 1

Just found out my brother-in-law's father is in the ICU and on a ventilator with COVID... he's in his upper 50s. Been worsening steadily each day.  No real known health issues prior.  I feel for what my brother in law and sister are going through... definitely the closest COVID has hit me so far.  Also heard my car mechanic in town was on a ventilator and then passed away in the past few days.  Pretty much every restaurant in town has been closed at some point in the past couple weeks due to COVID positives.  They've all been very open about it on social media, explaining the closures.  The department of public safety had a free pop-up, drive-through COVID testing site at the Stowe High School last weekend due to the high numbers of positive cases locally.

• Sad 4

Nah life will return. Just like it did after every pandemic in history. 

Society at al and en masse is acting like they are addicted to doomscrolling… Like they have to see the worst possible scenario as the only possible reality. 

Frankly 90% of humanity needs to have their Internet taken away from them they can’t handle it; they can’t lucidly categorizes information and they are too prone to this kind of easily beguiled by dystopian charm thing that’s going around and people are making a fortune off their panic  

If you talk to the epidemiologists they will tell you that the future COVID-19 descendants he will be a less pernicious  version because that is the natural gestation of these pandemic virus; less damaging variations given time because it doesn’t make any sense to kill the host in wild biology.

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

Apparently he hit a tree and it burst into flames. I can’t imagine dealing with that as a parent. 

yeah I saw that. I only hope/pray that it was quick for him. sounds awful, but I can’t imagine being trapped in a car like that.

20 hours ago, tamarack said:

That's a blessing that I share.  State employees here can only accrue 960 hours, with additional accrued time recorded as lapsed sick leave - I have 1400+ hours of that.  Should one burn thru the whole 960, one can apply to have lapsed hours become "active".  My only serious use of SL was the 140 hours after my fusion surgery at C-4; unable to drive due to the cervical collar (said collar was hw worst part of post-op) and ensuring no damage to the operation site before things fully fused - have had zero after effects.  From what I've read, the tests of all 3 vaccines currently being used in the US indicate near complete protection from becoming seriously ill if they do get infected.  Time will tell if that holds true for millions as it did for 10-20 thousand.

Yeah as a CS we can apply sick leave towards time in, so adds nearly 13 months of service. As for vaccine prefer the one and done J&J

16 hours ago, mreaves said:

I have 2300 hours of sick time but state employees in VT don’t get anything for them when we retire. I have about 230 hours of vacation time and can accrue up to 360 before I start losing it. They will pay out up to that amount when you leave state service. I’ve been with the State since 1993. 

You may want to double check about the annual leave payout.  I think VT may have gotten away with that.

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Just found out my brother-in-law's father is in the ICU and on a ventilator with COVID... he's in his upper 50s. Been worsening steadily each day.  No real known health issues prior.  I feel for what my brother in law and sister are going through... definitely the closest COVID has hit me so far.  Also heard my car mechanic in town was on a ventilator and then passed away in the past few days.  Pretty much every restaurant in town has been closed at some point in the past couple weeks due to COVID positives.  They've all been very open about it on social media, explaining the closures.  The department of public safety had a free pop-up, drive-through COVID testing site at the Stowe High School last weekend due to the high numbers of positive cases locally.

Sad stuff

Is the recent uptick in local cases from out of state skiers or more relaxed restrictions? Have they tried remdesivir on your inlaw?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yup - this, right here, underscores the 'why' it was necessary as a societal response. 

In simplest terms?  Medicine et al simply cannot - yet - predict who will fall in that relatively rare, 2::23 or 1::31 ( whatever) persons destined for intubation.  As you say ...no prior comorbidities - I've heard enough of both types of lead-ins that my country bumpkin take is that yeah... comorbidity factors raise risk for those individuals, but, there are a large percentage that didn't fall into that group - necessarily - and they ended up in the same pickle with tech keeping them alive. So there's an overlap, one that means comorbidity factors alone cannot example and are only partial.  We've all heard of comorbidity  types also walking away, 'phew.'   Bottom line, there does not really appear to be any kind of 'one-size-fits all' affliction with this virus, like with Polio..etc.  Or EEE ... etc. Risk enhancers?  yes.  But that is no certainty.

For the love of Humanity's worst invention of all, the concept of God, let us "waste time praying" (...if it makes us feel any better no harm in wall wailing).  that late game COVID-19 has higher survival rates now.  Earlier on in this Pandemic - 'avoid that criticality and you probably will be fine'  ...   But, this has been probably one of the fastest turn-arounds --> positive returns for medicine triumphs in the history of humanity, so with that fervor of advancement those latter stages recovery rates may have improved? 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Is the recent uptick in local cases from out of state skiers or more relaxed restrictions? Have they tried remdesivir on your inlaw?

I think we just avoided it for so long and can’t be blamed on any one thing.  But since President’s Week in February it’s been straight out with tourism.  Folks letting their guard down and re-entering society.  So many people who haven’t traveled since last year based on what they have said.  Party houses via AirBnB also a huge increase... multi family vacations again, that stuff.  It’s been a challenge getting folks to wear masks again (everyone was on the mask train for the first few months of winter but now you get a lot of push back from some guests.  “Oh we are still doing that?” Is a common response.

It’s everyone though, not tourists or locals... just a general vibe of let-it-rip all the sudden for whatever reason.  I think people have definitely let their guard down and are relaxing again... and cases ballooned locally. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I think we just avoided it for so long and can’t be blamed on any one thing.  But since President’s Week in February it’s been straight out with tourism.  Folks letting their guard down and re-entering society.  It’s been a challenge getting folks to wear masks again (everyone was on the mask train for the first few months of winter but now you get a lot of push back from some guests.  “Oh we are still doing that?” Is a common response.

It’s everyone though, not tourists or locals... just a general vibe of let-it-rip all the sudden for whatever reason.  I think people have definitely let their guard down and are relaxing again... and cases ballooned locally.

I think your last paragraph sums it up pretty well. It’s a fatigue factor. We were up in Jay last Tuesday and we’re going to eat lunch at the Jay Village Inn but they were closed because of an employee testing positive for Covid. The state has been bouncing around between 75 and 150 new cases a day for the last month or so and staying below 2% positive rate as well so it’s almost like we are just barely keeping it below a boil. 

Just now, mreaves said:

I think your last paragraph sums it up pretty well. It’s a fatigue factor. We were up in Jay last Tuesday and we’re going to eat lunch at the Jay Village Inn but they were closed because of an employee testing positive for Covid. The state has been bouncing around between 75 and 150 new cases a day for the last month or so and staying below 2% positive rate as well so it’s almost like we are just barely keeping it below a boil. 

The restaurants around here have taken the brunt of it, and sounds like also up there when you were going to eat lunch.

Definitely the maskless act of eating out seems to be hitting restaurant staff hard.  It’s been literally every restaurant around here in the past two weeks or so.

I was at Popham Beach this morning watching night melt into day when I noticed a large light in the southern sky.  It didn't look like a jet to me, so I kept looking at it.  Suddenly this cone appeared and I just gazed at it in awe for about 30 seconds.  Then I realized I ought to photograph it!  Of course, I had my wide angle lens on my camera so I couldn't zoom in very close.  I grabbed this image and right afterward the cone fizzled out.  Apparently it was the SpaceX rocket that took off from Florida.  Imagine that!

850_1848-SharpenAI-focus-2 (2021-03-14T15_11_55.679) (1)_20210314114718943.jpg

• Like 12

45 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

I was at Popham Beach this morning watching night melt into day when I noticed a large light in the southern sky.  It didn't look like a jet to me, so I kept looking at it.  Suddenly this cone appeared and I just gazed at it in awe for about 30 seconds.  Then I realized I ought to photograph it!  Of course, I had my wide angle lens on my camera so I couldn't zoom in very close.  I grabbed this image and right afterward the cone fizzled out.  Apparently it was the SpaceX rocket that took off from Florida.  Imagine that!

Not sure if some of those news stations up there display photos that viewers send in, but you got to send them some of these. 

54 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Awesome pic! Also amazing to think that thing was down in Florida like fifteen minutes before you shot it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaineJayhawk said:

No f'in way man.  That's amazing.  I mean truly special shot.

3 hours ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Wow that's sick 

On 3/13/2021 at 7:16 AM, HoarfrostHubb said:

If you can get it through CVS you can choose between available appointments by manufacturer. It is clunky but I was able to choose from the three.  I had chosen the first available (Pfizer and I would have had to drive 1.25 hours) but there were appts for the others on later dates.   I ultimately cancelled the appt since I got one sooner and locally. 

I’ve tried the CVS site for over a week with no success. I’ll find it tells me there’s appointments available, but when I get through the process, it says “ sorry, no appointments available”. Frustrating to say the least. I did sign up on the states new website on Friday. I got a text with an ID number and said I was registered. Now I guess I wait. I’m eligible now, but I don’t know how it lines people up. Maybe takes those eligible at random? First signed up, first served? There’s probably a million that are eligible now but they only get 150,000 first doses a week. 

My company was going to give it out, but those kind of applications got cancelled due to lack f product.

30 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

How do you get on call list if they're getting ready to throw away vax or is that not happening anymore? Not eligible till May

I don’t know. I think you just have to live on that CVS site. I dont think there’s a call list, at least not in mass. I could be wrong. 
I also tried the Walgreens site, but it’s not much better.