Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

6 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

What the hay is Alexandria Steel wearing on TWC today!?!?! Those shoulder pads are right out of the Dynasty wardrobe and Joan Collins and Linda Evans are both jealous....

My daughter says 80's are coming back. And looking at my son's  and his friends hair, the 70's arent too far away either.

I told him last night he needs to go with me and get a #1 high and tight.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

My daughter says 80's are coming back. And looking at my son's  and his friends hair, the 70's arent too far away either.

I told him last night he needs to go with me and get a #1 high and tight.

A friend of mine owns a used record store and he can’t keep 80’s stuff like The Smith’s, Police, The Cure etc in stock.  He said it’s all young people buying it too.  Of course they are also all buying 60s and 70s music that their parents listened to.  
Such an interesting phenomena, Teenagers buying Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd records.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

A friend of mine owns a used record store and he can’t keep 80’s stuff like The Smith’s, Police, The Cure etc in stock.  He said it’s all young people buying it too.  Of course they are also all buying 60s and 70s music that their parents listened to.  
Such an interesting phenomena, Teenagers buying Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd records.  

Interesting sub-genre sociological study there ...

It may not even be a difficult insight to hypothesis why -

Like what's happened between back whence, and the last 20 years ?   

The Internet. 

I think the problem has to do with pop -genera and saturation. It is not just the Internet; the tech-wherewithal of western civility makes it too easy across the music development life cycle. Somewhere in convenience, the "art" has suffered, because ...maybe the artists of lore also did and that was the inspiration for their brooding or celebration through song.  Some in how the resolution of each stanza reflected that,.. may not be present in quick economics and celebrity rushing - something like that.

Those older album formats were an 'intimacy investment' by individuals.  The instrumentation in-song, and the artistry ... hate to say, but there's an ineffable 'glow' or 'spirit' about those musical artistry that is lacking in a lot of ways when comparing to party favorites by Pitt Bull ... The latter has its place and some of that is catchy, no doubt.  But, it doesn't have the lock in the room, stare at the ceiling while the tunes playing set your mind on cruise control vibe to it.  All musical genres, be it rap to metal to alternative and EMO... the musicality back whence arrives in waves of soul. 

The stuff that is catchy these days, hook you in quick but you learn the lesson again, it is the songs you don't know if like right away that you long to listen to 20 years later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

My wife has a pretty good stack of 70's albums that she's hung onto, maybe I should try craigslist.

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Maybe the future isn't has hopeless as I first surmised.

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Interesting sub-genre sociological study there ...

It may not even be a difficult insight to hypothesis why -

Like what's happened between back whence, and the last 20 years ?   

The Internet. 

I think the problem has to do with pop -genera and saturation. It is not just the Internet; the tech-wherewithal of western civility makes it too easy across the music development life cycle. Somewhere in convenience, the "art" has suffered, because ...maybe the artists of lore also did and that was the inspiration for their brooding or celebration through song.  Some in how the resolution of each stanza reflected that,.. may not be present in quick economics and celebrity rushing - something like that.

Those older album formats were an 'intimacy investment' by individuals.  The instrumentation in-song, and the artistry ... hate to say, but there's an ineffable 'glow' or 'spirit' about those musical artistry that is lacking in a lot of ways when comparing to party favorites by Pitt Bull ... The latter has its place and some of that is catchy, no doubt.  But, it doesn't have the lock in the room, stare at the ceiling while the tunes playing set your mind on cruise control vibe to it.  All musical genres, be it rap to metal to alternative and EMO... the musicality back whence arrives in waves of soul. 

The stuff that is catchy these days, hook you in quick but you learn the lesson again, it is the songs you don't know if like right away that you long to listen to 20 years later.

Until internet speeds advanced enough to support file sharing and video content, the record companies were the gatekeepers. That system had its own problems, but with real money required to produce an album, they had a strong incentive to sign top-notch talent. The bar was just higher. Now anyone with a laptop and a social media account can be a songwriter and disseminate their "music", regardless of quality. You don't need to play an instrument; you don't even have to have a solid voice.

4 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

My grandaughters are obsessed with vinyl and 60 70 80s music

20 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

My kid will inherit all mine someday whether he likes it or not.

The stuff I would find at yard sales in Cambridge in the 90's was crazy, everybody was dumping their vinyl.  I accumulated an impressive jazz and blues collection.  

47 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

To me the 70’s stuff and even the 80’s up to say 85 or so was some of the best music made. But then again that’s what I grew up on and listened to in college so I’m probably a little biased. My son’s play list has stuff from AC/DC, Phil Collins, Skynard, Zeplin, Hall and Oats, Righteous Brothers, etc. Pretty eclectic, but I dont think he has much from today except for Amos Lee and some Bruno Mars stuff.

1 minute ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

To me the 70’s stuff and even the 80’s up to say 85 or so was some of the best music made. But then again that’s what I grew up on and listened to in college so I’m probably a little biased. My son’s play list has stuff from AC/DC, Phil Collins, Skynard, Zeplin, Hall and Oats, Righteous Brothers, etc. Pretty eclectic, but I dont think he has much from today except for Amos Lee and some Bruno Mars stuff.

Sad I didn't know one nominee from any of the rock categories on the Grammys. I knew all the country and a bunch of R and B, Blues, Jazz

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Sad I didn't know one nominee from any of the rock categories on the Grammys. I knew all the country and a bunch of R and B, Blues, Jazz

I dont even know much of the country anymore. If they don’t play it on Willies Road House or channel 56 (80’s and 90’s country) I don’t know it.

26 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I didn't know any either, knew some of the country and I listen to sports radio all day.

I used to listen to a lot sports radio. I got tired of Mazz. Same with Ordway. Hill is unlistenable. So is T&R. I like Bertrand ok. 
Laugh if you will, but I listen to Gunsmoke, Dragnet, Suspense, and a few other dramas on channel 148. Actually some of the best written stuff ever. 
I was born 50 years too late. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I used to listen to a lot sports radio. I got tired of Mazz. Same with Ordway. Hill is unlistenable. So is T&R. I like Bertrand ok. 
Laugh if you will, but I listen to Gunsmoke, Dragnet, Suspense, and a few other dramas on channel 148. Actually some of the best written stuff ever. 

Im usually on the road between 10-2 and I listen to Zoe and Bertrand, agree with you on the other guys, Mazz the spazz is unlistenable.

2 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

58 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Im usually on the road between 10-2 and I listen to Zoe and Bertrand, agree with you on the other guys, Mazz the spazz is unlistenable.

Carton and Roberts is where its at. Laugh a minute 

1 hour ago, UnitedWx said:

Podcasts and old music is great. There hasn't really been any music worth listening to on broadcast radio since the late 90s. I mean even modern country has been totally bastardized

There is great music being made still,  there are just very few great radio stations left that play it.

13 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Jus the facts, Ma'm.  :D
We have a box full of ~50-year-old vinyl somewhere downstairs, but the closest we got to the artists noted above was Carpenters and Mama Cass.  :lol:

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Wait I though first shot gives you 97% immunity and second is a booster

Im not sure. It could also be a case where he's had it in his system for a while..and the test is just now picking it up. At some point when most are vaccinated..we need to move away from these extra sensitive tests.