Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

58 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I always thought duckpin was a Maine thing. 

My only duckpin experience (one laughable frame) was when I worked at Curtiss-Wright's NNJ resort, which had an outdoor alley.  First ball hit square on the head pin, taking it and #5.  2nd was a bit left and cleaned out 2 and 8.  3rd ball was centered on the path cleared by the first 2.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I always thought duckpin was a Maine thing. 

Mainly southern New England and Mid Atlantic, but the number of places that have closed in the last 20 to 30 years is staggering.  Only 2 left in Massachusetts.  6 lane house in North Chelmsford and 10 lane house in Billerica.  I bowl in Warren, Rhode Island.  18 lane house is one of only 6 left in the state.  Maybe a dozen left in Connecticut.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Mainly southern New England and Mid Atlantic, but the number of places that have closed in the last 20 to 30 years is staggering.  Only 2 left in Massachusetts.  6 lane house in North Chelmsford and 10 lane house in Billerica.  I bowl in Warren, Rhode Island.  18 lane house is one of only 6 left in the state.  Maybe a dozen left in Connecticut.

Oh' interesting.  Being from MA I grew up on candlepin of course but only remember playing duckpin somewhere near where my brother lived in Bath Maine.  The balls were awkward as a kid.  I'll have to check out the place in Chelmsford when I visit my family there.  Bowling alleys are becoming extinct sadly.  We still have two in Franklin Co.  I guarantee there are probably some abandoned basement alleys scattered around New England.

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Oh' interesting.  Being from MA I grew up on candlepin of course but only remember playing duckpin somewhere near where my brother lived in Bath Maine.  The balls were awkward as a kid.  I'll have to check out the place in Chelmsford when I visit my family there.  Bowling alleys are becoming extinct sadly.  We still have two in Franklin Co.  I guarantee there are probably some abandoned basement alleys scattered around New England.

I have been to the place in North Chelmsford once, and if I remember correctly it is down in a basement.  When I first started bowling competitively in the early 1970s, I bowled at a 32 lane house in Seekonk.  Almost all lanes were filled with leagues at 7:00 and 9:00 every night of the week.  I bowled in a traveling league and we must have gone to 15 or 20 different places just in southeastern Massachusetts.  Times have changed.

Don't remember any duckpin places in Maine, but I'm sure there were some at one time.  There was even a place up in Burlington Vermont.  For those who don't know what duckpins are, here is comparison of different bowling pins.  Left to right: rubberband duckpin, duckpin, Canadian five pin, candlepin, tenpin.

It's time to reinvent the game of bowling - Leisure e-Newsletter

• Like 2

On 3/16/2021 at 3:24 PM, powderfreak said:

Yeah they are also at the latitude of like Maryland too... they have everything going against them for snow preservation from the sun.  Can get some serious sunburn in CO in March.

Went skiing at Keystone and A-Basin in April 1993....was pretty amazing how strong that sun is. Also, there was basically no snow until about 8,000 feet elevation and then by 9,500-10,000 feet (really high base elevations at those resorts) it was basically full-on winter, however, that sun angle was brutal. The first day we were there we got mild sunburn even though my dad was careful to put sunscreen on our faces. It was pleasant around 35-40F for highs and dry. Then the next day we got hit by a raging powder blizzard that dumped 20 inches of snow. When we skied A-basin the day after, you couldn't be outside without goggles or sun glasses. The fresh snow with the April sun angle was unbearable without them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HimoorWx said:

I have been to the place in North Chelmsford once, and if I remember correctly it is down in a basement.  When I first started bowling competitively in the early 1970s, I bowled at a 32 lane house in Seekonk.  Almost all lanes were filled with leagues at 7:00 and 9:00 every night of the week.  I bowled in a traveling league and we must have gone to 15 or 20 different places just in southeastern Massachusetts.  Times have changed.

Don't remember any duckpin places in Maine, but I'm sure there were some at one time.  There was even a place up in Burlington Vermont.  For those who don't know what duckpins are, here is comparison of different bowling pins.  Left to right: rubberband duckpin, duckpin, Canadian five pin, candlepin, tenpin.

It's time to reinvent the game of bowling - Leisure e-Newsletter

There was a huge 2 story bowling alley at the end of RT2  on the Cambridge/Arlington border.  It would be mobbed most nights of the week with league and casual players.  It's high end condos now.

Bowling alleys were everywhere in the 70's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dryslot said:

Played league, I was an ok candlepin bowler, I could chop pins with the best of them.........lol, But was always a decent 10 pin bowler carrying a 200+ avg with a pair of 300 games, But that shipped sailed quite a few years ago since having back issues.

You should change your screen name to Earl Anthony 

• Haha 1

I've been told by several who've been vaccinated that they were lax at best re any sort of background screening and mostly - they don't really check -

It's not like you're being glowered at, "where's you papers..." outside of Stalingrad  circa 1939  ... They ambled in and claimed they have a-b c job or x-y or z co morb and it was sit here and get poked -

I mean, there's lists sure... criteria for who gets what based upon whatever - but you know, it's a logistical infeasibility to expect every tom dick and suzie marry to provide some kind of proof of ailment passport

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I've been told by several who've been vaccinated that there were lacks at best, background screening and most - they don't really check -

It's not like you're being glowered at, "where's you papers..." outside of Stalingrad  circa 1939  ... They ambled in and claimed they have a-b c job or x-y or z co morb and it was sit here and get poked -

I mean, there's lists sure... criteria for who gets what based upon whatever - but you know, it's a logistical infeasibility to expect every tom dick and suzie marry to provide some kind of proof of ailment passport

Absolutely true.  Of course now in many places it’s all comers.  I think 55+ now in MA and all ages starting in a month.  All I had to show was my confirmation of appointment.  

44 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Man I remember a young Dick Weber.  I’m a lefty though..

I watched Saturday bowling right before wide world of sports. Our only look at sports unfamiliar to us. I grew up with a ten pin bowling alley up the street. Lol at the characters there. Played in a youth league then it was a bar hangout for us. My best friends Mom ran the place so we bowled for free but I still sucked. I did conquer the meet the girls thing though lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Absolutely true.  Of course now in many places it’s all comers.  I think 55+ now in MA and all ages starting in a month.  All I had to show was my confirmation of appointment.  

I think if it works, ... don't f with it, then... right? 

I mean, so people are getting in ahead - who cares.  If it ain't harming anything, we're closer to herd immunity .. or whatever it is called when it's a combination of self-resolved and vac populous - actually... come to think about it.. .what's the difference ...

Anyway, a year ago roughly two weeks before thanks giving I was stricken for a week... 4 to 5 days of which put me through a sequence of symptom progressing that pretty much was identical to the COVID-19 package.   But, ...no, it wasn't recognized on the global stage until a month later, mid Dec of 2019 - I can't believe we've really just passed through a whole year of this shit..  Might be the fastest perceived year of my life - weirdest too for other personal reasons. 

Now, China leakage ... I read somewhere that China is admitting this thing or it's ancestral root was in circulation in the general public much earlier in 2019.  Rumor has it ( so it is likely untrue...) that up in Ireland/Isles they are exhuming bodies and finding that C-19 was present in corpse that also succumb to "strange illness" earlier that year.  ...

As usual ... I'm digressing.  My point was going to be, I wonder if some of us had this?  I'm < 55 and by western civility standards in ridiculously good shape...so, I'm a likely candidate to self-resolve.  I had fever, dry cough, and fatigue and headache... lost of appetite... and my gourmet coffee tasted bland.  Other than that ... I actually didn't eat much other than three donuts over the course that week.  But it was bad. I was in pools of sweat at night..  wobbling down the stairs in the morning.  Couldn't regulate body temp..  Then on D3 the cough got a little wet and lung gurgling kicked in... but it only last 1 day, and both it and the dry cough rather abruptly disappeared by day 5 and by D6 I was out.  

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Pretty solid article (month) old from a “Legend” who has seen it all.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4404130-grantham-calls-epic-bubble-putting-70-stocks-under-valuation-microscope

I Would say the bubble could go on as long as the Fed steps in when interest rates in credit markets get volatile 

The bubble will go on for as long as it is working for the "too big to fails" because the Justice Department is a neutered ghost when it comes to the crimes of financial institutions.  Under Clinton, Bush and Obama Wall St was allowed to break laws with impunity and prosecutions were almost non-existent. All of this occurring under the false premise that the "collateral damage" to the global economy that would ensue from major banking institutions failing would be devastating to the general public. Massive criminal financial fraud occurred during the Savings and Loan meltdown and what happened?  Almost nobody was charged and the taxpayers bailed out the banks. 

Protecting the little guy by not indicting the mastermind financial thieves and their minions because of the "irreparable financial harm" it would cause is such a crock of shit.  Look at the GameStop nonsense, the Justice Department puts the spotlight on a bunch of apes* on Reddit instead of the corrupt hedge funds that created the climate of corruption that allowed the WSB crew to actually stick it to the institutions for a few days.  There were hedge fund managers saying the GME fiasco was a criminal attack on the wealthy by r/WSB and I saw people on social media actually taking the institutions side. :lol:

*(I'm not being mean, that's what r/wsb likes to call themselves)

48 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Still about 80% snow cover in my hood except for my south facing fields.  Deer are loving their first tastes of grass in months.  30 to 35 out there right now.  Here is a short clip from the cam

https://video.nest.com/clip/e5e3798575b04e3ea33c4900604316cc.mp4

Wow, it looked like the casting call for Rudolph! 

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I watched Saturday bowling right before wide world of sports. Our only look at sports unfamiliar to us. I grew up with a ten pin bowling alley up the street. Lol at the characters there. Played in a youth league then it was a bar hangout for us. My best friends Mom ran the place so we bowled for free but I still sucked. I did conquer the meet the girls thing though lol. 

Yeah, Pro bowlers tour every saturday afternoon on ABC with Chris Schenkel commentating.

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The bubble will go on for as long as it is working for the "too big to fails" because the Justice Department is a neutered ghost when it comes to the crimes of financial institutions.  Under Clinton, Bush and Obama Wall St was allowed to break laws with impunity and prosecutions were almost non-existent. All of this occurring under the false premise that the "collateral damage" to the global economy that would ensue from major banking institutions failing would be devastating to the general public. Massive criminal financial fraud occurred during the Savings and Loan meltdown and what happened?  Almost nobody was charged and the taxpayers bailed out the banks. 

Protecting the little guy by not indicting the mastermind financial thieves and their minions because of the "irreparable financial harm" it would cause is such a crock of shit.  Look at the GameStop nonsense, the Justice Department puts the spotlight on a bunch of apes* on Reddit instead of the corrupt hedge funds that created the climate of corruption that allowed the WSB crew to actually stick it to the institutions for a few days.  There were hedge fund managers saying the GME fiasco was a criminal attack on the wealthy by r/WSB and I saw people on social media actually taking the institutions side. :lol:

*(I'm not being mean, that's what r/wsb likes to call themselves)

This guy is the best with short term market plays . The market has a decision to make ..right now . Either new yearly lows for Nasdaq or new all time highs. Nasdaq has broken away from all the other indexes and lots its multi month bullish trend trend line thanks to rising Yield and Powell seemingly pushing for rising yields (which to me has been baffling ) . Powell has telegraphed to hedge funds that they can freely short treasuries and he will watch . 

https://northmantrader.com/2021/03/18/dropping-the-hammer/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 1