Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

43 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Rumor has it she chocked on a ham sandwich :blink: 

Not ashamed to admit that I like The Carpenters..except some of Richards cheesy production and concert song selections. As far as Mama Cass...I believe that Stevie nicks has been chowing on the leftovers of that sandwich for several years now.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I used to listen to a lot sports radio. I got tired of Mazz. Same with Ordway. Hill is unlistenable. So is T&R. I like Bertrand ok. 
Laugh if you will, but I listen to Gunsmoke, Dragnet, Suspense, and a few other dramas on channel 148. Actually some of the best written stuff ever. 
I was born 50 years too late. 

Tuned out WEEI years ago. T&R are unlistenable. Bertrand & Zolak are fine. Honestly the 3rd wheel guys are better than the main hosts. Murray & Gasper on Saturday's are good. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chrisrotary12 said:

Tuned out WEEI years ago. T&R are unlistenable. Bertrand & Zolak are fine. Honestly the 3rd wheel guys are better than the main hosts. Murray & Gasper on Saturday's are good. 

I used to listen to WFAN out of NYC just because I could pick up the AM signal after sundown pretty reliably and stations from Boston were pretty sketchy.  During the day I would listen to the ESPN lineup.  Eventually I got tired of just about all sports talk though.  Every host hammers the same topics and you hear stuff just beat into the ground.  I listen to a sports station form the UK, talkSport.  I've been increasingly getting into English football so a lot of it is all new but  they are better about the variety of topics they discuss.  Some of it is that a lot of their topics are new to me but they also discuss golf, boxing and other sports like track and field occasionally.  They even talk NFL weekly. 

On 3/15/2021 at 10:59 AM, PhineasC said:

So... 99.999999999% chance of not dying versus the 99.8% chance that existed without the vaccine? Obviously for at-risk groups the math probably makes more sense...

I am waiting to see how long immunity lasts and how the whole "booster" thing is handled for the variants before I dive in.

Always depends on who you are.  But what about the greatly reduced possibility of spread to others which is a huge deal.   I’m amazed at how such a large cohort of science based forum members are willing to deny current science.  And remember, as new evidence comes in, science changes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

I turned on 98.5 today for the first time in a year only due to the Pats free agency splurge and it was good to hear Zolak’s   take on it all. I’ll never go back to WEEI however.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Found these shots from yesterday pretty crazy in Colorado titled "The power of the spring sun"...

7 hours difference at a car dealership where the sun just torched the snow off the cars.

161050381_10220625589324602_333507649216

160842699_10220625589564608_266777900193

Impressive but ...you know, I know you know this but that's common at elevation.   Spring snow wallops the 5000+ out there, then the atmosphere is both thinner and the sun angle higher, and together it's gonzo in mere days or less.

I bet that parking area is gone entirely by tomorrow or mid day the next barring any new snow. 

I suspect something similar though much smaller in total scale happens here Saturday -

• Like 1

Yeah...I was into those radio talk platforms through the beef years of the Patriot's dynasty ...

It seems sport radio in/around the SNE market hit a kind of boon -time when the Patriots came into domination.  Zolak and this guy "Gresh" ( I think...) and one or two other personalities were all part of the Patriot post game shows of the 2003 - 2011 era ...and I used to be driving with too much in me, listening in for gloating purposes on the way home from games...

But my job scenario was shaky then, and I was not as much a commuter in the regular sense until later... That changed in 2010 and I got into Felger & Mazz... I lost my job again in 2012 and had them on as background sound at home, television for close to a year before I started commuting again. But got sick of it because as 'mreaves' also said, achy-eared over hearing the same outrage over and over. Sometimes I could swear they were replaying tapes from the first hour around hour 3, too - right down to tonal inflection it sounded like the same 'cast. 'why am I listening to this again' ...

When I went back to work I didn't listen but sporadic post some big win or whatever... Working from home now during the Pandemic I haven't listened once.  I know exactly what they are going to say post every win or loss to within tolerance of accuracy anyway - their M.O. doesn't really change - and who cares about league soap-opera shit over salaries and who got arrest for whatever

4 hours ago, UnitedWx said:

Not ashamed to admit that I like The Carpenters..except some of Richards cheesy production and concert song selections. As far as Mama Cass...I believe that Stevie nicks has been chowing on the leftovers of that sandwich for several years now.

Karen Carpenter was one hell of a drummer too.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Impressive but ...you know, I know you know this but that's common at elevation.   Spring snow wallops the 5000+ out there, then the atmosphere is both thinner and the sun angle higher, and together it's gonzo in mere days or less.

I bet that parking area is gone entirely by tomorrow or mid day the next barring any new snow. 

I suspect something similar though much smaller in total scale happens here Saturday -

Yeah they are also at the latitude of like Maryland too... they have everything going against them for snow preservation from the sun.  Can get some serious sunburn in CO in March.

On 3/15/2021 at 1:13 PM, HIPPYVALLEY said:

A friend of mine owns a used record store and he can’t keep 80’s stuff like The Smith’s, Police, The Cure etc in stock.  He said it’s all young people buying it too.  Of course they are also all buying 60s and 70s music that their parents listened to.  
Such an interesting phenomena, Teenagers buying Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd records.  

When our daughter moved to VT, she got her grandparents to buy her an old school turntable.  I carried 3 boxes of old LPs each 70 lbs from the car parked down the street from her apartment up to her 2nd floor unit.   The only condition is she keeps them or return if she isn’t interested any longer.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

That guy is horrid.

But...dale Arnold just retired and guess who 'EEI hired? 

GRESH!  UGH

Dale was the last guy on there worth listening to. Now that station goes off my pre-set.

I miss Dennis and Callahan.  

As much as I like Lou Merloni as person and baseball player, he just takes up too much time talking on the show, often times with not much substance. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, weathafella said:

2nd shot of Moderna done.   Back to my earlier post for Phin-death rate from covid of those vaccinated (13% to date of the US population biased older considering priority) is 0 -not a single death

Let everyone know how you feel. Mine is April 6th

17 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

I miss Dennis and Callahan.  

As much as I like Lou Merloni as person and baseball player, he just takes up too much time talking on the show, often times with not much substance. 

Carton is the best. Listen to Boomer and Gio  as well. Funny stuff

30 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

That guy is horrid.

But...dale Arnold just retired and guess who 'EEI hired? 

GRESH!  UGH

Dale was the last guy on there worth listening to. Now that station goes off my pre-set.

Gresh went to my HS. Good offensive tackle. He sucks on the radio

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

Always depends on who you are.  But what about the greatly reduced possibility of spread to others which is a huge deal.   I’m amazed at how such a large cohort of science based forum members are willing to deny current science.  And remember, as new evidence comes in, science changes.

I don't think holding off on getting a vaccine that is still under emergency use authorization when a person is relatively young and healthy is about science denial. I always suggest those at risk of COVID or worried about it should get the vaccine. And LOL at the science denial angle when many NE states are still doing the "hygiene theater" stuff that has long been shown to be totally useless. Spraying down with bleach, for example.

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

2nd shot of Moderna done.   Back to my earlier post for Phin-death rate from covid of those vaccinated (13% to date of the US population biased older considering priority) is 0 -not a single death

56 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Got my second Pfizer shot this morning.  A little headache, but that's it so far.  Bowling night tonight, so hope I don't have any kind of reaction later.

It hit me 12-18 hours after 2nd shot...Nothing you can't handle, but a general 24 hours of feeling crappy/weak; then almost like a light switch, you feel better...that was my experience at least.

42 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I don't think holding off on getting a vaccine that is still under emergency use authorization when a person is relatively young and healthy is about science denial. I always suggest those at risk of COVID or worried about it should get the vaccine. And LOL at the science denial angle when many NE states are still doing the "hygiene theater" stuff that has long been shown to be totally useless. Spraying down with bleach, for example.

Yeah I get that argument and enough of us will have antibodies enabling herd immunity.   The wiping down or the fear of touching anything is questionable science.  I’m fairly sure none of the cases that had contact tracing went back to some random counter somewhere.  Yet I have friends who STILL haven’t been to the market face to face.  I felt after going into a hospital to work the first 6 months of the pandemic that supermarkets wouldn’t kill me lol.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yeah I get that argument and enough of us will have antibodies enabling herd immunity.   The wiping down or the fear of touching anything is questionable science.  I’m fairly sure none of the cases that had contact tracing went back to some random counter somewhere.  Yet I have friends who STILL haven’t been to the market face to face.  I felt after going into a hospital to work the first 6 months of the pandemic that supermarkets wouldn’t kill me lol.  

The wiping down of things is super fun in a middle school science classroom setting.   Although prob not a bad practice in general. Nasty germ factories.  Maybe I keep having them wear masks even after this is done. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Good post, I agree with you.

• Like 2