Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

So much variability.....

Our daughter had a sore neck but otherwise ok after the 2nd Moderna.  Others got pretty sick for 24 hours.   Most of my old colleagues where I used to work had the 24 hour misery but some were fine.  And all (like you) are under age 55.   My arm was sore for Moderna shot 1 for a few days but otherwise I was fine.   My wife’s siblings (all younger than her) had minor effects.   I’m looking forward to having it behind us next week.  

I had the shots in January...1st shot, just mild arm soreness, but more noticeable than a flu shot...2nd shot; 18-24 hours of feeling generally crappy.  low grade fever, slight chills and a little weak.  I def would not describe it as the full blown flu or curl up in bed sick, but I wouldn't want to do any yard work or go skiing that day.  When I woke up the next day, felt totally fine by lunchtime.  

• Like 1

ughh

Anything solid in the Nasdaq seems to evaporate right when yields rise again like last nite. Seems that issue isn't going away until Fed does a 180.  That said the market rallied with rates still moderately high. 

ON a completely different and more interesting subject maybe i'll fly to denver this evening and chase that snow storm in the front range. Looks like 4 Feet NW of Denver

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

ughh

Anything solid in the Nasdaq seems to evaporate right when yields rise again like last nite. Seems that issue isn't going away until Fed does a 180.  That said the market rallied with rates still moderately high. 

ON a completely different and more interesting subject maybe i'll fly to denver this evening and chase that snow storm in the front range. Looks like 4 Feet NW of Denver

Cheyenne 

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

ughh

My nephew is right there, lucky dude

12 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Several people we know had 100+ fevers for 24-48 hours and major fatigue and flu-like symptoms for a few days. They were really laid-low for a while. Missed work and all that. I am not a vaccine expert, but that seems more intense than I have ever heard about the flu vaccine. The handful of folks I know who have gotten COVID itself over the last few months had very mild symptoms, mostly the taste/smell thing with sometimes a touch of fatigue. That’s just my circle, however. I’m sure others have vastly different perceptions. 

11 hours ago, weathafella said:

Most of the people I know who have had covid did ok but not all and it seems that the randomness of it is one of the  problems.   Naturally us old folks are expected to have much higher risk but I know some young folks with miserable long standing symptoms.  With that said, I am pretty confident that a lot of the reduction in incidence and hospitalizations is due to the growing number  of people vaccinated.  Herd immunity is close imho.  

a friend of my family (50 years old) got the 'vid. he was in ICU, on a ventilator, etc. Was in the hospital for over 2 months, plus 2 weeks of rehab. it was touch and go, and for a while, the docs were not very confident that he would even survive. They were preparing his wife/family for the worst.

I'd take a 24-48 hour fever and a missed day or 2 of work from vaccine side effects in a cocaine heartbeat over catching the 'vid. 

12 hours ago, weathafella said:

How long have the reactions been?   Most report a day.  I think younger people with better immune systems react strongest.   But I have a 75 year old friend who felt pretty bad for 24 hours.  I’ll let you know when we get our 2nd next week. 

After my 2nd dose on April 2nd I'll post how a 75-yr-old did with Moderna #2.  :D

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

a friend of my family (50 years old) got the 'vid. he was in ICU, on a ventilator, etc. Was in the hospital for over 2 months, plus 2 weeks of rehab. it was touch and go, and for a while, the docs were not very confident that he would even survive. They were preparing his wife/family for the worst.

I'd take a 24-48 hour fever and a missed day or 2 of work from vaccine side effects in a cocaine heartbeat over catching the 'vid. 

Our pastor's cousin, also a pastor, had 2 weeks on a ventilator and 2 more on oxygen.  He was able to return home late last month but as of a week ago couldn't go more than 2-3 steps without stopping to catch his breath.  He's a cancer survivor in his 60s so a high-risk individual.

• Sad 1

There is a push to get J and J Vaccines out to all VA Health Centers. I am on the waiting list. After all the shots you get in military, sometimes never really knowing what you're getting, I'm not scared of the Covid Vaccine. The only Vaccine so far that never worked for me was the chicken pox Vaccine. Had chicken pox twice, and as an adult, now I have recurring shingles. I asked about the Shingles Vaccine and the doctor told me my body just doesn't recognize that virus as a threat, so getting the Vaccine won't help, as my body won't build an immune response. I have a recurring prescription for an an anti-viral that I can take at the first onset of symptoms that helps with preventing the virus getting to the blister stage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

Like I said, others have very different experiences with COVID than we did. We only know one person who became really ill and died with the virus, but he was literally already on his death bed with multiple other ailments when he caught it. Everyone else had very mild symptoms. A cold at best. 

21 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Like I said, others have very different experiences with COVID than we did. We only know one person who became really ill and died with the virus, but he was literally already on his death bed with multiple other ailments when he caught it. Everyone else had very mild symptoms. A cold at best. 

right, but why risk it? there is very little risk in getting th e vaccine, but the risk of the severe  'vid symptoms is much higher. In my opinion of course

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

right, but why risk it? there is very little risk in getting th e vaccine, but the risk of the severe  'vid symptoms is much higher. In my opinion of course

That's a personal decision everyone has to make. I would rather wait until it is not being administered under an Emergency Use Authorization and complete liability waivers for the manufacturers before I consider it because I am very low risk from the virus and other people need the doses more than me. The calculus is different for other people. I also want to know more about how this will work going forward with new variants and the many rumored "required boosters." It seems like people will end up on a treadmill of endless vaccinations for this virus that I am not too interested in. I know some very obese/sick people who have said no to the vaccine and some young, trim, healthy people (some of whom already had COVID) who have been very aggressive about getting the vaccine ASAP. Everyone is different. It should be available to anyone who wants it for free, but no one should be shamed for saying no either.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PhineasC said:

That's a personal decision everyone has to make. I would rather wait until it is not being administered under an Emergency Use Authorization and complete liability waivers for the manufacturers before I consider it because I am very low risk from the virus and other people need the doses more than me. The calculus is different for other people. I also want to know more about how this will work going forward with new variants and the many rumored "required boosters." It seems like people will end up on a treadmill of endless vaccinations for this virus that I am not too interested in. I know some very obese/sick people who have said no to the vaccine and some young, trim, healthy people (some of whom already had COVID) who have been very aggressive about getting the vaccine ASAP. Everyone is different. It should be available to anyone who wants it for free, but no one should be shamed for saying no either.

personal decision, I completely agree. I hope you don't think  i was shaming you, that was not my intention at all. was just offering my opinion.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PhineasC said:

The issue is that if not enough people take the vaxies, then the virus won't be eliminated like the pox or polio was eliminated.  Difference is....this virus isn't pox or polio and that's why a lot of people are questioning the drastic steps. My best friend's father had to be hospitalized from Covid and he was very healthy and 62, so I believe it's serious....but it's not like SARS-1 death % where I would be first in line for the vax.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PhineasC said:

This article below is a pretty realistic take imo.  It is natural to want a magical ending where there is no such thing as covid-19.  The good news is that things will be a lot better than they have been in the past year.

COVID-19 is never going to end, experts say

When is this finally going to end? That's the question on many minds after a year of living through the COVID-19 pandemic.

But public health experts say we do have an answer, and you're not going to like it: COVID-19 is never going to end. It now seems poised to become an endemic disease — one that is always a part of our environment, no matter what we do.

"We've been told that this virus will disappear. But it will not," Dr. William Schaffner, a professor at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine and medical director of the National Foundation For Infectious Diseases, tells CBS News.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-never-going-end-173300929.html

30 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This article below is a pretty realistic take imo.  It is natural to want a magical ending where there is no such thing as covid-19.  The good news is that things will be a lot better than they have been in the past year.

COVID-19 is never going to end, experts say

When is this finally going to end? That's the question on many minds after a year of living through the COVID-19 pandemic.

But public health experts say we do have an answer, and you're not going to like it: COVID-19 is never going to end. It now seems poised to become an endemic disease — one that is always a part of our environment, no matter what we do.

"We've been told that this virus will disappear. But it will not," Dr. William Schaffner, a professor at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine and medical director of the National Foundation For Infectious Diseases, tells CBS News.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-never-going-end-173300929.html

Duh.

It's going to be like the various viruses that cause the "common cold."

That's why people who think this is the polio vaccine and we can eradicate this virus by just vaccinating 80% of the world are very ignorant. A lot of those folks around right now. 

58 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

The issue is that if not enough people take the vaxies, then the virus won't be eliminated like the pox or polio was eliminated.  Difference is....this virus isn't pox or polio and that's why a lot of people are questioning the drastic steps. My best friend's father had to be hospitalized from Covid and he was very healthy and 62, so I believe it's serious....but it's not like SARS-1 death % where I would be first in line for the vax.  

Many people have zero clue what this vaccine even does. They think the 95% number refers to immunity from catching the virus. The media is outright lying to people. After the vaccine, you can still get COVID, you can still spread COVID. and you can still get noticeably sick. It isn't like the polio vaccine, Boomers.

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Duh.

It's going to be like the various viruses that cause the "common cold."

That's why people who think this is the polio vaccine and we can eradicate this virus by just vaccinating 80% of the world are very ignorant. A lot of those folks around right now. 

I hope more stories like the one I linked make the rounds.  People need to have realistic expectations and not think this virus will be eradicated from the globe anytime soon.  

There is reason to think we can have a semi-normal summer, given the large number of prior infections and increasing numbers of vaccinations in this country.  But I'd be shocked if there isn't a resurgence of sorts as we get into fall as the seasonality component rears its head, combined with a percentage of people remaining unvaccinated and the possibility of more variants either originating in or entering the United States.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

I hope more stories like the one I linked make the rounds.  People need to have realistic expectations and not think this virus will be eradicated from the globe anytime soon.  

There is reason to think we can have a semi-normal summer, given the large number of prior infections and increasing numbers of vaccinations in this country.  But I'd be shocked if there isn't a resurgence of sorts as we get into fall as the seasonality component rears its head, combined with a percentage of people remaining unvaccinated and the possibility of more variants either originating in or entering the United States.

People will need to learn to live with this virus or they will never be able to leave their houses. The metrics being tossed around for extremely low case counts and very high vaccination rates are impossible to achieve. I suggest anyone who is still worried about the virus check out the Orlando airport. Many, many Americans are basically back to normal life and they are fine. Time to emerge from your panic rooms, folks.

14 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I know a few personally that died from covid and another very sick . The youngest of the ones that died was 50 but over weight . My friend that was close to going on a vent was 40 and normal body frame and no health issues.  Based on my job I was able to get the shot early . Got both my phizer shots. Had chills for about 6 hrs and tired the next day.  Otherwise not bad at all 

Just now, rgwp96 said:

I know a few personally that died from covid and another very sick . The youngest of the ones that died was 50 but over weight . My friend that was close to going on a vent was 40 and normal body frame and no health issues.  Based on my job I was able to get the shot early . Got both my phiser shots. Had chills for about 6 hrs and tired the next day.  Otherwise not bad at all 

I am glad you were able to get the shot when you wanted to get it. It needs to be widely available and free, and I am willing to pay my due share in taxes to make that happen.

• Like 1