• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

I store stuff with true gas but you can get non ethanol gas from the pump way cheaper, if you look around for it.  Snowblowers siting with ethanol will gum up carburetors big time - they tend to sit a long time between uses.  I turn off the fuel petcock off to shut the motor off and let the carb run out of fuel every time I put it away.  Saves a lot of agro.  

Startron does seem to suck.  I use stabil or some 2 cycle oil - which is basically what I think stabil is.  

Everything with a carburetor should use non ethanol. Usually it’s 91 octane when you find it.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

I store stuff with true gas but you can get non ethanol gas from the pump way cheaper, if you look around for it.  Snowblowers siting with ethanol will gum up carburetors big time - they tend to sit a long time between uses.  I turn off the fuel petcock off to shut the motor off and let the carb run out of fuel every time I put it away.  Saves a lot of agro.  

Startron does seem to suck.  I use stabil or some 2 cycle oil - which is basically what I think stabil is.  

Everything with a carburetor should use non ethanol. Usually it’s 91 octane when you find it.  

Yea never had luck with startron.... old red stabil all the way, not the ethanol type either....and I always try to run the carb dry on equipment when I can easy insurance  

Never knew about the ethanol issues but I did notice my snow blower choking a bit last storm and was wondering if something was up with the motor. 

Ill have to try it from now on. There’s actually a gas station in town that sells ethanol-free gasoline. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Never knew about the ethanol issues but I did notice my snow blower choking a bit last storm and was wondering if something was up with the motor. 

Ill have to try it from now on. There’s actually a gas station in town that sells ethanol-free gasoline. 

Buy it. Much cheaper than store bought fuel.   You can get away with 93 octane but I  would not store it in a machine for very long.

I won’t hate on Forky for the snowblower comment...I used to think the exact same way but then I bought a house that happened to have a wrap around driveway...on a curve in the road (so the snowbanks get obscene)...LOL. 

Just brutal shoveling that. I did it the first winter in this house including 3 storms of 12”+ (1/4/18, 3/7-8/18, 3/13/18)...after that I said “never again”. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

As you get older, you get wiser. We snow and blow. 

I still shovel it...great workout.

Here is the December review with a brief preview for January.

https://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2020/12/december-2020-verification-january-2020.html

That PNA really killed my temp call nationally...like inverse. lol

Locally it was still decent.

6 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I still shovel it...great workout.

Here is the December review with a brief preview for January.

https://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2020/12/december-2020-verification-january-2020.html

That PNA really killed my temp call nationally...like inverse. lol

Locally it was still decent.

Decent but ORH and BDL both finished > +2, actually orh +3.1

12 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I use marine stabilizer in my gas and never had an issue. That  stuff seems to work. 

Red stabil has ethanol in it so its like dry gas and thats the last thing you want, Marine stabil is the way to go, Or if you can find some K-100, All the marina's use the marine stabil, Fuel with ethanol is rough on hoses and gaskets as it degrades the rubber over time and you end up with carb problems.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cleetussnow said:

I’m lucky enough that the closest gas station to me carries ethanol free gas. I also try to only use that in my snowmobiles. 

12 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

If it's having running issues it might be too late for ethanol free gas to fix it, may be worth a quick trip to your local small engine guy for a carb clean so it doesn't quit when you need it.

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Red stabil has ethanol in it so its like dry gas and thats the last thing you want, Marine stabil is the way to go, Or if you can find some K-100, All the marina's use the marine stabil, Fuel with ethanol is rough on hoses and gaskets as it degrades the rubber over time and you end up with carb problems.

X2, I only use blue marine stabil and have for over a decade, never had to clean one carb. The station up in Monson sells non ethanol 90 and that's the only thing I run in the saw, mower, snowblower, etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheMainer said:

If it's having running issues it might be too late for ethanol free gas to fix it, may be worth a quick trip to your local small engine guy for a carb clean so it doesn't quit when you need it.

X2, I only use blue marine stabil and have for over a decade, never had to clean one carb. The station up in Monson sells non ethanol 90 and that's the only thing I run in the saw, mower, snowblower, etc.

I always try to hunt down leaded gas whenever i can find it, Much easier up your way, Next to impossible down here.

23 minutes ago, TheMainer said:

Yup. The blue stabil is the balls, and you get more out of a bottle.  I still like to put it in even if it is ethanol free gas, keeps it from getting varnishy you know? Another tip someone told me was if you don't empty your tank at the end of a season, then top it off so the air doesn't get to it. Guess it makes sense.  

58 minutes ago, dryslot said:

All my two stroke stuff i would use trufuel in, The weedwhacker was a constant issue before truefuel, But i converted everything for yard tools to greeworks so now its all battery powered.

Yea. I’ve concervted almost every lawn tool to battery operated as well. Clean and efficient. Just have the lawn mower left with gas but that’s going to end soon too. 

• Like 2