Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

My moms basement flooded on the reg. Fans dehumidifiers did the trick . I would definitely put a sump pump in

Yeah I’ve been through this a couple times with a flooded basement and I do have sump pumps but when you don’t have power and you didn’t have a generator you were at its mercy luckily I have a buddy of mine that owns a carpet cleaning business and he was able to provide me with all industrial dehumidifiers and fans to dry it out.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

My moms basement flooded on the reg. Fans dehumidifiers did the trick . I would definitely put a sump pump in

This is the second time in 3 years this happened but by far the worst. There was only about 1-2” of water in certain spots but enough to cause damage. I’ll look into sump pumps but I’d want it professionally installed to maximize the efficiency. Thanks.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

This is the second time in 3 years this happened but by far the worst. There was only about 1-2” of water in certain spots but enough to cause damage. I’ll look into sump pumps but I’d want it professionally installed to maximize the efficiency. Thanks.

Get a sump pump.  That’s too frequent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yeah I’ve been through this a couple times with a flooded basement and I do have sump pumps but when you don’t have power and you didn’t have a generator you were at its mercy luckily I have a buddy of mine that owns a carpet cleaning business and he was able to provide me with all industrial dehumidifiers and fans to dry it out.

Best investment is a generator these days. Homeowners insurance is a godsend and should be used especially with water damage

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

EPS again loves a major mid January and beyond change to WINTER!   Look at that EPO and the response of the cold starting to dislodge to our side at the end.   Here we go-similar  to 0z!

Definitely a much more weenie-ish PAC at the end of the run.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Best investment is a generator these days. Homeowners insurance is a godsend and should be used especially with water damage

I have one, The problem is/was, I have 3 basements as the house was built in sections, The one that floods has no access from the main one so you have to access it from outside and we rarely go down there, A sump pump shat the bed so it went unnoticed luckily for just a few days and had about 3" of water in there instead of 2' back in 1991 with Hurricane Bob.

Getting back to the blocking, I’m still thinking the pacific air may be creating a false blocking signal, or at least making it look stronger than it might be. On the EPS, I still don’t see a big stout anticyclone up near the Davis Straits. I’m not saying it’s completely gone, just that I’m not sold on a big block yet. The Pacific, however, is improving quite a bit.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Getting back to the blocking, I’m still thinking the pacific air may be creating a false blocking signal, or at least making it look stronger than it might be. On the EPS, I still don’t see a big stout anticyclone up near the Davis Straits. I’m not saying it’s completely gone, just that I’m not sold on a big block yet. The Pacific, however, is improving quite a bit.  

How the hell can pacific air create a false blocking signal?  I’ve never heard of that before?  But who the heck knows anymore? 

16 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

How the hell can pacific air create a false blocking signal?  I’ve never heard of that before?  But who the heck knows anymore? 

Well I explained it a few days ago. But basically the warm pacific air causes the heights to be well above normal. So as a result you get those big reds and whites that look like Massive +  anomalies. But, you can tell it may be sort of masking what may be occurring, because there is no anticyclonic curvature. The key to seeing this, are the more zonal looking height lines as shown below. Ryan also said this too. Imo, there is ridging, however I’m not sold on it looking as strong as it shows based on those height anomalies. 
This actually is common in El Niño’s. So we’ll see as we get closer. I know it may be a smoother out mean beyond 10 days, but I am keeping an eye on it. Just something to watch. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It would definitely be worrisome if we didn’t get an actual block...but the OP Euro has a legit Davis Strait block and so do several other models. When you see the ridging poking all the way back into northern Hudson Bay with the band of lower heights trapped underneath it, that’s what you are looking for....the lack of arctic air on our side of the pole makes it very marginal anyway for us, but without the block, we’d be in speedos and hammocks drinking pina coladas given how terrible the PAC is. 

image.png.04f035a8602f7f3201be21c7a9b12de1.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It would definitely be worrisome if we didn’t get an actual block...but the OP Euro has a legit Davis Strait block and so do several other models. When you see the ridging poking all the way back into northern Hudson Bay with the band of lower heights trapped underneath it, that’s what you are looking for....the lack of arctic air on our side of the pole makes it very marginal anyway for us, but without the block, we’d be in speedos and hammocks drinking pina coladas given how terrible the PAC is. 

image.png.04f035a8602f7f3201be21c7a9b12de1.png

Yeah that’s what I hope, we get a decent block there. Going to need strong blocking too until Pacific gets better. 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah that’s what I hope, we get a decent block there. Going to need strong blocking too until Pacific gets better. 

On a lot of runs the ridging kind of recycles and rebuilds at different times there rather than being this massive closed anticyclone. I wonder if that’s why the ensemble mean is more smoothed...because of the different timing of recycling ridges. Ideally, you’d have the closed anticyclone sitting right over the Davis Strait. There’s been a couple runs in clown range that have it but a lot of runs kind of look like the one I posted....where there’s a stout ridge there but it isn’t an immovable closed block...and it gets recycled a few times. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

On a lot of runs the ridging kind of recycles and rebuilds at different times there rather than being this massive closed anticyclone. I wonder if that’s why the ensemble mean is more smoothed...because of the different timing of recycling ridges. Ideally, you’d have the closed anticyclone sitting right over the Davis Strait. There’s been a couple runs in clown range that have it but a lot of runs kind of look like the one I posted....where there’s a stout ridge there but it isn’t an immovable closed block...and it gets recycled a few times. 

Oh I don’t mean a closed block or anything, just a semblance of a ridge....some sort of curvature. Even with a smoothed out mean.  I think we have ridging, just not sure how strong. 

If the two threats work out its nice and all but to know we lost a foot of pack to a tropical storm on Xmas day stings.....a lot....it makes whatever this season may manage less....worse....than it could be.....still....in 2010 at NYE I had nothing....it all came in the next month so let’s see....we’ll know within 14 days what we’re dealing with.....after that it’ll be too late

16 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

If the two threats work out its nice and all but to know we lost a foot of pack to a tropical storm on Xmas day stings.....a lot....it makes whatever this season may manage less....worse....than it could be.....still....in 2010 at NYE I had nothing....it all came in the next month so let’s see....we’ll know within 14 days what we’re dealing with.....after that it’ll be too late

Lol....not!  Cuz in two weeks it’ll be January 12th, and it never snows here after that date.

Winter is a week old. Chill for god sakes. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Queing up the annual Ice1929 melt around MLK day...

• Haha 1