Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Not Hoco.  We're toughing it out.  Well, schools are closed, but virtual will go on!

I am giving my kids off tomorrow for the storm.  It is not fair to them that they should be in their virtual school while it is snowing outside.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I’d stay where you are since you’ll do well too. 

No idea. I’m heading up there at 5a tomorrow for the storm. I’ll let you know. But they got about 5-6” from Monday’s storm. 

Is it a nicer experience out there for the snow? I haven’t been up there in years and never experienced a snow there. 

8 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Question for you and everyone/anyone else that cares to respond: Do you think I should enjoy this one in Westminster or head out to Deep Creek? 

We were gonna drive out tonight and check this one out there. There’s this weird thing about tracking the snow for my house and then experiencing the storm elsewhere lol

Feels like you should be good there in Westminster? I would stay. Course I am cruising past you to Emmitsburg in the AM. 

2 hours ago, mappy said:

Thanks. @DDweatherman posted a similar plot. 

So even with good rates, no enough space for it to go back to snow again before getting to the surface? (I'm grasping at straws, I hate sleet)

Unfortunately snow growth (crystallization) can only happen in the DGZ and once it melts under there the rain can only freeze into sleet.  That deep of a cold layer just guarantees sleet v freezing rain. 

Oscillating bands of snow, sleet and rain, with the sleet band most frequently aligned from northwest suburbs of PHL to central DC. Results in numerical terms will probably be something like this: 

Location ______ Precip ____ Snow

PHL ___________ 0.75 _____ 2.0

BWI ___________ 1.25 _____ 2.5

DCA ___________ 0.80 _____ 1.9

IAD ____________ 1.35 _____ 6.0

GAI ____________ 1.40 _____ 8.0

FDK ____________ 1.50 ____11.0

HGR ___________ 1.50 ____ 12.5

ne MD (???) ____ 1.80 ____ 5.5 (heavy icing)

CXY MDT _______ 1.40 ___ 16.5

Would expect the best snowfalls in marginal areas to be overnight (16-17) as the slight diurnal ranges will play a role in where bands set up. 

Obviously a lot of uncertainty with more bust potential on high side of these snowfall numbers.

This is where work from home is going to look really good, that impact on evening commute does not apply to the walk from kitchen to den or does it? 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic