Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

12 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Thank you but doesn’t that still have DC in a 6” contour?

It’s a torch at mid levels which is expected when a low tracks over Baltimore!!!!

Those maps are lol. They have be at 16” but when I check the temps at all levels I can only find about .4 qpf that’s snow even up here. 

1 minute ago, DDweatherman said:

It is crappy to see considering the other models did move the SLP S/E. The 18z GEFS (take it with a grain) moved all the lows east of the 12z grouping (all to favorable locations)

This seems to be one helluva sensitive setup. The euro is not written in stone

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s a torch at mid levels which is expected when a low tracks over Baltimore!!!!

Those maps are lol. They have be at 16” but when I check the temps at all levels I can only find about .4 qpf that’s snow even up here. 

To be honest, there has to come a time where you take a look at the consensus track for the LP center and the h5, steering, and the flow in a nowcast. That coupled together still makes it really hard to expect a low to go over Baltimore. Models seem to be struggling with the double barrel look and where the true MSLP is going to end up. As Wwxluvr said, this is a really sensitive set up, and I think that is reflected with regards to low positoning more than anything. The euro is showing some of the biggest "snow maps," but has the low the furthest west. That's after the NAM & GFS moved it SE @ 18z. I'm more focused on some of the short term indicators/mesoanalysis to see where our low pops and how the ML's react in response to that positioning. 

2 minutes ago, RDM said:

CWG is so anxious about tomorrow they published tomorrow morning's forecast a few mins ago and then retracted it as an inadvertent publication.  Poor folks are probably feel the same desperation many of the rest of us are.  

Pretty easy forecast for DC.

"Rain, heavy at times. Rain may mix with some sleet early. 34 degrees."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Because the surface isn’t all that affected and that map counts anything where any layer is somewhat close to freezing as snow. They are awful. 

Which is bogus of course. But that also leaves the door open...one of the models has to be wrong with where they are putting the low, and there is signficiant discrepancy amongst Op's at the moment and even their ensembles. If the track of the GFS or even the NAM at 18z are correct but the euro has the thermal scheme correct, a lot of folks would be surprised at the outcome. The airmass is a lot more formidable than some have given it credit to this pt. 

Ok I think some are over analyzing a run where the low tracks OVER BALTIMORE!!!!  Hopefully it’s wrong. But come on. If the low actually tracks from Richmond to Baltimore to Wilmington anyone from 81 east and south of York PA is screwed. We know that. This isn’t that complicated. Just hope that track is wrong. If you get the 12k NAM or GFS track with the euro storm presentation we get a big storm 95 NW.  unfortunately the best guidance at this range we have looks like poo. No one mentioned both the RGEM and HRDRPS look awful and had their worst runs at 18z. I am rooting for the gfs but...it’s the GFS lol. Other then the GFS and 12k NAM everything else I saw continued to degrade at 18z. 

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic