Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

1 hour ago, mappy said:

I haven't been rude with you at all. I asked a question, "above 850?" and you said "sure". That's not an answer and even after I asked for more information you decided to get cheeky with me suggesting I need a mute feature. That won't get you very far with me, sir.

His principal role is to be a snow hope buster. It’s for our own good and that sort of stuff. There have Always been one or two for decades. 

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Here is LWX's latest thinking on start time...wouldn't be surprised if actual start time is on the earlier end of these. WAA generally come in quicker than forecast.

A lot of the most recent guidance has snow past me by 15z tomorrow.  

23 minutes ago, ovechkin said:

Despondency? Hardly- more humor, but your point is still a good one and well taken. You a great forecaster and know our climate well. My point was less about conditions at onset  ( I think most agree snow at onset) vs how quickly we would turnover. Especially inside the beltway. Yet to be determined. Hope I am wrong! 

Yeah I jumped the gun on that a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ers-wxman1 said:

I really am sad for you and empathize with your situation because your abrasive ness is like fire ants under the skin. 

At what point does it start to sink in that maybe it's not everyone else that has an issue...maybe (just maybe) it's you?

Your knowledge and insight is clearly greatly appreciated. But your delivery veers between abrupt, condescending and dismissive in a way that seems almost calculated to annoy. Communicating and engaging with others is a critical skill to have on a public message board - especially when you have so much to offer in terms of expertise. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, high risk said:

It's worth noting that in the CAMs (especially the NAM nest) that turn central and north-central MD over to sleet for a long duration, the warm layer is up around the 750 or 700 mb level.    The GFS is typically very poor at capturing those warm layers if they're well above, say, the 850 level.    PSU made a reference earlier to the March 2017 storm in which the GFS missed forecasting most of the sleet because it kept things much colder aloft.     It isn't the same GFS now, but I would not be surprised if this weakness holds.

Thanks for this. This is the kind of nuance that's super helpful for those like me that read these boards a ton but still have a fairly superficial understanding of how well different models handle those layers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Yeah I jumped the gun on that a bit.

All good. I’m still learning a ton. Temp drop off this evening off to a good start!  Will see when the WAA precip starts, where the LP tracks and how long the mid levels hold. I’m not confident, but that’s what makes this fun. Win some lose some, and try to keep things lighthearted and enjoyable. Except for my intense jealousy and hatred of PHL and NYC every time they get snow and we don’t. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic