• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    shawanta003
    Newest Member
    shawanta003

Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

After Sandy we had no power for ten days, but literally every single transformer in town blew up. Unless I'm mistaken, most of these power outages are related to downed wires which are easier to fix.

Around here it seems like fallen trees took wires down. After a severe storm last summer came through, PSEG trimmed branches around the wires in my neighborhood which likely helped today. That and luck. Much of the rest of my town looks like it’s out. 

Con Ed says this is the 2nd biggest power outage in its history. Biggest being Sandy of course. Irene now moves down to 3rd. 

When the winds died down more I explored further and its really a mess. I moved my car to the most tree free spot I could find just before the onset of strong winds, now half that block has damaged cars from trees. Glad I moved in time. Also ran into random pockets of no power scattered around.

3 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Yeah if its 368K I think most are back by Day 5 but some will take 7-10, very few, but some.  I think Gloria and Sandy all were over 1 million

pseg coo just said on news 12 420,000 were out at the peak.

i think the biggest factor that made this storm so impactful on trees was the unusual wind direction. Our trees are used to NE/E winds during storms and NW winds during the cold season. My parents enormous silver maple lost 3 huge branches today and did fine during sandy. (Like you said earlier less leaves during sandy)

79409910-0D2B-4E4E-9326-1A6EA2E97664.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

i think the biggest factor that made this storm so impactful on trees was the unusual wind direction. Our trees are used to NE/E winds during storms and NW winds during the cold season. My parents enormous silver maple lost 3 huge branches today and did fine during sandy. (Like you said earlier less leaves during sandy)

420k is a lot. Sandy was about 930k at peak I think.  Irene was about 350k and March 2010 was 250k (all are Long Island numbers)

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

War zone. Really bad in western Suffolk 

Same here. Trees down everywhere. One fell on a house down my street. Large branches/limbs down all over the place too. 

34 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

After Sandy we had no power for ten days, but literally every single transformer in town blew up. Unless I'm mistaken, most of these power outages are related to downed wires which are easier to fix.

Plus Sandy had power outages from storm surge flooding key infrastructure too. That can decimate the whole system and with no quick fix. Fortunately we dont have that problem. 

Also, thanks to that, Manhattan has avoided almost all power outages while every other boro has widespread power problems.

Hope everyone stays safe and healthy through this awful weather day and beyond.  Hope everyone gets power back asap.. This is going down in the books for sure.  

I see an area of heavy echoes near Sparta Township in NJ moving East and I am hoping that doesn't cause more problems for the NYC metro area 

Bad day for LI. Way out performed, unfortunately. Convinced that we had a Tornado in Brightwaters 

37 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

79409910-0D2B-4E4E-9326-1A6EA2E97664.jpeg

I was explaining that to my wife earlier, we never see winds of this strength from the direction it came from today. The tree damage is impressive for sure. My power will likely be out for a week or so which sux when you need it to run the well pump and have 4 people that need a working toilet. I rigged up a solution but it's questionable so I'll shut it down overnight and hope when I fire it back up in the morning and hope it doesn't blow out any more electronics, it took out the microwave and dehumidifier when I turned it on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rjay said:

78mph was the highest at EWR.

90mph at ISP and 85mph at JFK.

Eatons Neck was the highest recorded at 96mph on the north shore of LI (but it's slightly elevated- 71ft)

One of the tools they use at JFK Tower measured that today, as well. 

image.png.1636e83de7b91b091462901a788d38bb.png

• Like 2

Genny up and running fridge and first floor window ac. Hearing "days" before it's back.  Up to 9 transformers blown in the chester/mendham area. 

Took a drive post storm, long valley to califon extensive flooding. Had water hitting the bottom of the expedition. Watched small sedans attempt to get through it. 

Just under an inch here.

power went out around 4:30.  Within about a half mile of the house, I saw 4 trees down on power lines.  Have a bad feeling this is going to be an extended outage.  

1DF227BD-46CE-46C6-BDE0-A7F54B554C22.jpeg

• Like 1

Half the streets are blocked off looking like this.  No power in at least half the town.  

20200804_214034.jpg

20200804_214510.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

is it really going to be a week before i get power?

It might take a few days according to Con Ed. Maybe your provider will be quicker.

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

War zone. Really bad in western Suffolk 

Damn. 

My parents front yard had limbs take out their power line and some roof damage. Looks like an uprooted tree across the street too. 

A88B1AA0-42FD-4440-89E5-369C175A864B.jpeg

• Sad 2

My immediate area is pretty bad. Saw a firetruck a little while ago so maybe they are working on removing that tree that took out all the wirese9d8c78f8a702e438801b9baf1f63d67.jpg90b6fab21423ff6fb2a71bfd704d0887.jpg587e12c7060b11962f79774cbc554c66.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Rjay said:

78mph was the highest at EWR.

90mph at ISP and 85mph at JFK.

Eatons Neck was the highest recorded at 96mph on the north shore of LI (but it's slightly elevated- 71ft)

Thanks for clarifying:) that storm was truly something else. How lucky are we to experience two anomalous storms in 8 years...we have a bumpy road ahead..

8 hours ago, SRRTA22 said:

Thanks for clarifying:) that storm was truly something else. How lucky are we to experience two anomalous storms in 8 years...we have a bumpy road ahead..

Off the top of my head there's been 4 wind events that have caused major tree damage in my area of the last 10 years (March 2010, Irene, Sandy and Isaias) and 2 snowstorms (the storm after Sandy and late March 2018).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Off the top of my head there's been 4 wind events that have caused major tree damage in my area of the last 10 years (March 2010, Irene, Sandy and Isaias) and 2 snowstorms (the storm after Sandy and late Msrch 2018).

Yup. We’ve gotten slammed 

41 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Damn. 

My parents front yard had limbs take out their power line and some roof damage. Looks like an uprooted tree across the street too. 

A88B1AA0-42FD-4440-89E5-369C175A864B.jpeg

Wow. Serious roof damage?

3 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Wow. Serious roof damage?

Luckily not. They’ll have it inspected. Atleast from pics, the limbs didn’t appear to go through the roof. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nycwinter said:

do you think this storm name will be retired? another example of the dreaded i storm..

Would be the second straight I storm from this cycle of names to be 1 and done.  Isaias replaced Ike which was retired in 2008.  They never got to the I storm in 2014, so this is its first iteration.  Ike replaced Isidore after 2002.  

• Like 1

Pressure bottomed out at 1001.0mb at 2:42 pm here. The damage I’ve seen looks about on par with Irene, but (obviously) less than either Sandy or March 2010. Didn’t see nearly as much tree damage as some of the pics in this thread, loads of debris and branches but no downed trees. That severe thunderstorm+microburst last summer must’ve cleared out the weak ones, in addition to Sandy, etc.

My job hasn’t had power since before the height of the storm, and no streetlights for most of the way there. Today should be peaceful.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

NEW YORK OFF THE HOOK and NEW ORLEANS ON IT ????????

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_59.png

Hour 354 but the potential is there for anyone for the rest of the summer