Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

wdrag

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

At the worst of it I had no cell phone signal-had to drive into town-truly cut off from the world.

That’s my parents in Muttontown because they won’t allow a cell tower in the county preserve nearby. I actually have a satellite phone for them so they aren’t cut off from the world. 

3 hours ago, TriPol said:

Can someone send me a link of the tiered environmental impact study that was done for the Brooklyn Bridge? 

Your request/point is well placed. Mr. Roebling’s proposal was accepted based on his reputation and demonstrated ability to build suspension bridges across the Niagara Gorge and the Ohio River. The only impact study took place when PT Barnum drove 21 elephants across the bridge to prove its stability. Shovels and brooms took care of the elephants impact. As always ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TWCCraig said:

Anyone else notice the effect of the salt spray on the trees? The south side of the trees in my area are dead from the strong winds

Yes it’s awful and a secondary disaster. My parents house is less then a mile from the bay in south wantagh and their huge silver maple is dropping leaves like it’s fall right now. It’s sad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Yes it’s awful and a secondary disaster. My parents house is less then a mile from the bay in south wantagh and their huge silver maple is dropping leaves like it’s fall right now. It’s sad

Same here in SW Suffolk. There is leaf burn on the south side of all the trees here near the Great South Bay. Florida experienced a similar browning of the foliage after Irma. The good news is that most of the trees didn’t experience any permanent damage.

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/weather/hurricanes/2017/09/20/hurricane-irma-brown-trees/684305001/

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/life/home-garden/spaces/2017/11/27/hurricane-irma-trees/897378001/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was out on a friends boat and it was really pronounced from the bay. Even my big oak tree 3 miles from the water has signs of damage on the south side of the canopy. 

I remember a similar thing after Irene and things seem to recover the following year. 

Also- we were about three miles offshore fishing at the Hempstead reef and water temps are recovering. It was 75 all day... 

• Like 1

Good Monday morning, August 10, almost a week after Isaias.  Still quite a few in our forum area that are without power-6 days later (attached).

I share a tech memo by expert world known research developers (Stan Benjamin and Ed Szoke) with those interested in use of the publicly available HRRRX wind forecast guidance (posts made Tue morning 8/4), especially inside 24 hours.  I didn't seek their permission but think they would appreciate spreading their knowledge of this valuable guidance.

--from the author's below--

Ed Szoke was also a pretty central author of a NOAA Tech Memo we published a couple of months ago
On pages 13-14, we described the wind gust potential diagnostic used for the RAP and HRRR models.
Ed also added a nice comparison of 4 different fields related to max winds, all of which we see used in
different situations.   Note:   We consider the diagnostic called 'wind gust' is really a 'wind gust potential'.
It's NOT a best estimate of an instantaneous wind gust, but instead is an estimate of what may occur.
There are lots of users who want to know what might happen with wind gusts.  
So that variable needs a special asymmetric kind of verification.

As Ed wrote in the caption for Fig. 8, for many situations, the 80m wind speed, a clean prognostic variable, is an excellent
estimate also for 10m wind gust 'potential' and maybe the best one.   Hope some of you
will find the Tech Memo useful.  603A/10

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 5.51.17 AM.png

• Like 2

On 8/6/2020 at 4:13 PM, donsutherland1 said:

Some wind gusts from Sandy:

East Moriches: 82 mph
Farmingdale: 90 mph
Great Gull Island: 85 mph
Jones Beach: 81 mph
Long Beach: 83 mph
New York City-JFK: 85 mph
Syosset: 82 mph

Thanks, Don!  Looks like 90 mph was the highest one from one of our official reporting stations?  Interesting that Farmingdale had the peak gust in both Sandy and Isaias.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bluewave said:

Same here in SW Suffolk. There is leaf burn on the south side of all the trees here near the Great South Bay. Florida experienced a similar browning of the foliage after Irma. The good news is that most of the trees didn’t experience any permanent damage.

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/weather/hurricanes/2017/09/20/hurricane-irma-brown-trees/684305001/

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/life/home-garden/spaces/2017/11/27/hurricane-irma-trees/897378001/

I heard there were sand drifts up to a foot in parts of Fire Island?!  Sounds similar to what happened during Sandy.

On 8/6/2020 at 4:13 PM, donsutherland1 said:

Some wind gusts from Sandy:

East Moriches: 82 mph
Farmingdale: 90 mph
Great Gull Island: 85 mph
Jones Beach: 81 mph
Long Beach: 83 mph
New York City-JFK: 85 mph
Syosset: 82 mph

Don, those 96 and 109 mph gusts you listed for Isaias, were those tornadic winds or straight line winds?  I wasn't aware that tornadic winds were listed as max gust reports for TC's.  But if we do list tornadic winds, I remember seeing that there was an EF3 tornado reported with Isaias- how fast were the estimated winds with that?  Thanks!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Don, those 96 and 109 mph gusts you listed for Isaias, were those tornadic winds or straight line winds?  I wasn't aware that tornadic winds were listed as max gust reports for TC's.  But if we do list tornadic winds, I remember seeing that there was an EF3 tornado reported with Isaias- how fast were the estimated winds with that?  Thanks!

Unfortunately, none of the wind reports distinguish between tornadic and straight line winds. The waterspout off of Cape May was listed as an EF1 tornado with 100 mph winds. I didn't see any confirmed storm reports for an EF3. Perhaps there was earlier speculation that the Cape May waterspout was an EF3 tornado.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Unfortunately, none of the wind reports distinguish between tornadic and straight line winds. The waterspout off of Cape May was listed as an EF1 tornado with 100 mph winds. I didn't see any confirmed storm reports for an EF3. Perhaps there was earlier speculation that the Cape May waterspout was an EF3 tornado.

I think the EF3 was down in NC, maybe the one that caused those two deaths?