Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tuesday 1/7/20 Disco snow event

MountainGeek

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

This could be the biggest storm of this sad season lol

you saying you already see the back edge made me chuckle because its true.  Moving so fast we will see it coming and leaving without much upside surprise like over running or some other long duration event.  still snow is snow so game on. 

Not a bad trend as far as temps go as precip moves in.  Could be partially due to the slightly faster onset the euro has at 06z but the panels before show the same trend. The key imo is having the cloud deck already established near or shortly after sunrise....May be tough with such a compact system and this not being an overrunning event.  The further WSW you are the better.

TUTXah0.png

• Like 1

Just now, Solution Man said:

Not bad at all, evening rush on Tuesday will be a mess though. Not looking forward to that, will definitely leave Pentagon early or perhaps telework.  

I'm guessing it'll be a mess only because of how people react here to anything (especially snow) falling from the sky. I would guess that road conditions should be relatively okay unless it really rips fatties during the burst. 

11 minutes ago, high risk said:

NAM actually takes most of the area up to 40 tomorrow ahead of the precip (low to mid 40s in southern MD) but has strong cooling as the precip arrives to bring most areas down into the lower 30s.

I think the dewpoints tomorrow at 12Z are forecast to be in the upper teens west of the city and around 20 in the city so the cooling looks real especially if we get close to 09.25 " in 3 hours or so.  That's a pretty good thump.  Still, I'd only go with a coating to an inch aroudn the city and maybe 1 to 2 out west even though the models are showing the most precip south of us. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd love to believe the snow maps (they show a nice event around FXBG) but the fact that most models have temperatures spike up to around 38-45 tomorrow before precip gets to I-95 gives me a lot of pause, even with lower dewpoints to start we only get down to about 32-33 along 95. Feels like an event that starts as rain or a rain/snow mix and transitions to snow just before precip shuts off leaving like maybe a slushy half inch on grassy areas. Would love to be wrong and I'm definitely hoping for precip to start as early as possible.

• Like 1