Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tuesday 1/7/20 Disco snow event

MountainGeek

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

The difference between the NAM and globals is all contingent on the timing of the low transfer to the coast. With an earlier transfer off NC coast, the southeast low level flow is much stronger over the eastern areas and the H7 VV's are much more favorable for banding potential on the NW side of the low. For both the GFS/Euro, the best lift concentrated to the west with the parent low and H5 vort pass providing better difluence across WV and western VA. Extension further back to DC area due to the surface low is going to be harder to come by unless we get that surface low tucked in closer to the coast. So rooting for baroclinic setup to be a little closer to shore would be best case, along with the NAM earlier transfer. The mid-level dry air advection at Hr 60, onward will also dissolve the western extent of the precip field as the trough pivots through the region. It's a tight window and the best chances for snow right now would be out toward central and southern WV, SW VA, and the Delmarva due to the better precip enhancement from the secondary low center moving to the northeast. Hopefully the NAM is on to something with the earlier transfer.  

Thanks, good explanation 

• stormtracker changed the title to Tuesday Disco snow event
7 minutes ago, Solution Man said:

GFS says wait and watch this

Looks about the same as 12z. Seems there will be some sort of a transfer, and the coastal low will be offshore, and racing away. Not likely there will be much more than a coating anywhere outside of the mountains to our W/SW at this point.

• Like 1

Mount Holly's updated AFD on this "threat"-

As we move into Tuesday, the day will start off quiet as high pressure moves out to sea and weakens. This will allow for an area of low pressure to move offshore of the Mid Atlantic region to our south by Tuesday afternoon, then strengthen as it moves northward offshore of Delaware and New Jersey coasts. This will likely bring a period of precipitation across the area, especially along and south and east of the I-95 corridor, and mainly across southern New Jersey, southern Delaware, and southern Maryland. If the precipitation begins early enough, it looks like it will start as rain for many areas. However, as the low wraps up as it moves closer to the area, colder air will wrap around the low and the precipitation will likely mix with or change over to snow. While all of the guidance indicates a transition to snow, only the 12z NAM has a significant accumulation. For now, we`ve sided more with the GFS, ECMWF, WPC and have mostly a half inch or less. Temperatures may be too warm for significant accumulations to occur, even though there could be a period of heavier snow due to strong lift within the dendritic zone across southern New Jersey, southern Delaware, and southern Maryland.

eta- when they refer to "southern MD", they mean the southern most extent of their MD eastern shore counties, i.e. Talbot and Caroline.

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:
Arlington to CHO for three inches?

Could be the only 3” I see this season.

More than likely I wouldn’t actually go, especially if we get an inch here. But it’s tempting. I rent a house down there so it wouldn’t be like sitting in a dorm. Could be nice. Besides, me going to Charlottesville means it would snow more up north. It would benefit everyone!

• Like 1