Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20-21 Potential - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

5 minutes ago, Amped said:

NAM isn't that bad.  Going to need to be patient though, which I am not.  A lot of mix, then a lot of dryslot snizzle,  then finally, some decent snow.

The most unusual part of this one by far is daytime temperatures. Just weird. It's not a massive arctic hp like we had in 14 and 15 but the storm track allows cold to efficiently advect for hours and hours before the good stuff happens. Could be one heck of a sleet storm before the ull goes on attack. Which will give some folks reason to worry because big snow events don't fail on the waa piece and this one hasn't (and never has for the cities) looked good with that piece. The stall and crawl should do some damage for most everyone though. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Jebman said:

Driving on sleet is like driving on ball bearings mixed with oil.

Back in January when I was on my way to chase in Ohio I ran into some heavy sleet around Pittsburgh and I thought I was going to die, several cars went off the road in front of me, drove about 70 miles where I wouldn't dare get above 40 mph or so 

8 minutes ago, HarrisonburgWX said:

Hey guys, first-time poster long time lurker here.

Could anyone, that has the time, please explain why on both the 12k and 3k 18z NAM the Shenandoah Valley seems to be under a large dry slot that never seems to fill in?  Would this be something that this area needs to worry about or is this just the NAM being the NAM?  

Yes, out here in the valley we must always worry about dryslots.  

March 1993 was epic  15 foot tidal surges in FL,  over 50" snow in highest parts of Smokies.  1pm in the afternoon here looked like 30 minutes before dark, snow and stinging sleet driven by 30 mph winds gusting to over 40.  Probably the most inhospitable winter storm I have ever tried walking around in 

4 minutes ago, wdavis5784 said:

Fair enough. I was going to say 16' was awesome but 09-10 was insane.

Yeah it was. That was the only year were we got 12'' of snow or more from 2 events in the same month, i think.

4 minutes ago, wdavis5784 said:

I was in 1st grade. Don't remember it whatsoeve

Same. I also vividly remember shoveling snow with my dad while he was wearing a hawaii t-shirt. Silly guy. Snow was knee deep.

25 minutes ago, HarrisonburgWX said:

Hey guys, first-time poster long time lurker here.

Could anyone, that has the time, please explain why on both the 12k and 3k 18z NAM the Shenandoah Valley seems to be under a large dry slot that never seems to fill in?  Would this be something that this area needs to worry about or is this just the NAM being the NAM?  

I'll take a shot at this...  someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the dry slot kicks in because you get caught between lows during the transfer.  It's the same type of dynamics that can cause us problems during Miller B's.  Later when the upper level precip comes through, the mountains eat it before it gets to you.

I’ll continue to be a bit of a Deb.  I find the 500 evolution on the 3km NAM to still be a bit messy and it leaves us with weak precip rates on the backside after we (at least closer to 95) are cleanly snow.  A few hundredths of precip per hour during peak daylight during March with temps 30-32 isn’t going to amount to much.

Not seeing sleet for metro after 18-19Z or so, and it quickly exits the northeast areas a couple hours later. Deep scouring/subsidence is evident aloft and virtually all of the lift is in water-vapor clouds (no saturated layers <-8 to -10C. That screams drizzle. Freezing drizzle if you're far enough NW. Re-saturation doesn't occur until 08-10Z Wed (4-6 am), so there's a prolonged period of overnight freezing drizzle potential. That could turn pretty nasty in some places.

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

I’ll continue to be a bit of a Deb.  I find the 500 evolution on the 3km NAM to still be a bit messy and it leaves us with weak precip rates on the backside after we (at least closer to 95) are cleanly snow.  A few hundredths of precip per hour during peak daylight during March with temps 30-32 isn’t going to amount to much.

I was wondering about that too. Precip looks very light and spotty during the day, with the much heavier stuff from the messy wave 1 which isn't even snow for the most part.

But then I assumed that maybe the H5 progression is good enough and we shouldn't be too concerned about what it shows on the surface more than 36 hours out.

3 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I agree. The surface/precip panels of the nam3 was underwhelming. Could be right but I'll hug the RGEM's version

rgem_mslp_pcpn_us_42.png

5 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

The 18z Nam is one way we can fail I guess.  Would you agree the low tucking in along the coast now is key as it stacks up.  If it doesn't do that we are left with light rates in March on the the second day of Spring.

3 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Not to act like I know much, but when I read this I said out loud “my thoughts exactly”. It’s an exciting evolution and a lot of qpf region wide, however it’s an event (IMO) ripe with disappointment. The 18z nam(s) continue to cut back on accumulations (snow depth change, ferrier) but qpf is still there. 

That means (to me at least) that accumulation is going to REALLY STRUGGLE east of Leesburg 

Hopefully dynamics can really work their magic. This is a fairly great look at h5 so I’m hoping that the upper levels can help crash the mids and subsequent lowers when deepening takes off.

1 minute ago, PivotPoint said:

Not to act like I know much, but when I read this I said out loud “my thoughts exactly”. It’s an exciting evolution and a lot of qpf region wide, however it’s an event (IMO) ripe with disappointment. The 18z nam(s) continue to cut back on accumulations (snow depth change, ferrier) but qpf is still there. 

That means (to me at least) that accumulation is going to REALLY STRUGGLE east of Leesburg 

Hopefully dynamics can really work their magic. This is a fairly great look at h5 so I’m hoping that the upper levels can help crash the mids and subsequent lowers when deepening takes off.

We need CCB rakeage....euro gets its done for most of the sub but the nam twins won’t cut it.  

The setup could probably still use a tweak south and west and better phasing.  It still looks good for several hours of good rates but after looking at the nam and rgem a bit closer I could see where there could be a little room for improvement.  It is late March though so expectations probably need to be kept in check a bit.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived