Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20-21 Potential - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

9 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

That's for 8pm time frame and will probably bust too cold, but temps will drop steadily over the next 2-3 hours. I wouldn't sweat the current temps too much. We'll drop steadily by the morning and will probably run in the low-mid 30's area wide by 9am tomorrow. Urban corridors may be warmer into the upper 30's before precip picks up and they wet bulb. 

The airmass is pretty dry and there will be a few hours of clear skies so temps should edge off rather quick.  Yesterday was a good example of that. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, MiddleRvrwx said:

Ground along the Bay is warmer.

Get enough sleet and ground will be fine even by the bay.  Most nights have been in 20s.  We can’t change the calendar but this is the best post March 20th scenario we may see ever..and I mean like a  50 year storm set up.  It takes miracle and a half to get an h5 like the models are showing.  

8 minutes ago, MiddleRvrwx said:

Ground along the Bay is warmer.

Just measured the ground temp near Annapolis on the bay with an IR thermometer. Not the best way to measure, but a good ballpark. Grass area was 39.2F (multiple sample locations). Bay water surface varied between 37 to 38 depending on where I pointed it. Air temperature on my weather station is running 46.4F at the moment.

Nah, it's cold. This is a snowstorm. There is often a big difference in few hundred feet elevation between here-Fallston and Bel Air, (last storm was 2.5 here, 0.5 bel air) and the NWS has about the same forecast probabilities for both - probably all the way down I-95, but besides that I look forward to 8" B) Ratios aren't going to be real high

Stop it with ground temp talk. We have had significant snowstorms the day after it was 70 before. We have had accumulating snow the last week of march several times. Colorado has the same radiation as us. Denver is at our latitude and they get big snows in early fall when it's been 75 the whole week before and soil temps are above 50*. This is the dumbest thing ever. Knock it off. 

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Thank god. 

I can understand being frustrated with the NAM, but the HRDPS is a very good hit for our area, better for the far northern crowd (especially since it has them scoring tomorrow as well), but still a solid event into Baltimore city.

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Stop it with ground temp talk. We have had significant snowstorms the day after it was 70 before. We have had accumulating snow the last week of march several times. Colorado has the same radiation as us. Denver is at our latitude and they get big snows in early fall when it's been 75 the whole week before and soil temps are above 50*. This is the dumbest thing ever. Knock it off. 

I think ground temps only matter if rates are unimpressive, otherwise it doesn't matter if the previous day felt like summer.

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

I can understand being frustrated with the NAM, but the HRDPS is a very good hit for our area, better for the far northern crowd (especially since it has them scoring tomorrow as well), but still a solid event into Baltimore city.

I just have a hate/hate relationship with the HRRR and HRDRPS and the like as they always seem to manage to avoid showing any banding over Baltimore. 

5 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I just have a hate/hate relationship with the HRRR and HRDRPS and the like as they always seem to manage to avoid showing any banding over Baltimore. 

You’ll get banding.  You are in a prime spot.  Not sure why you worry so much.  When all is said and done you will over achieve with this storm. Mark my words.  

8 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I think ground temps only matter if rates are unimpressive, otherwise it doesn't matter if the previous day felt like summer.

i think it matters in the sense of it providing clues as to how far north the storm can go or other variables, but we can certainly drop fast after a front moves through, etc.  i didn't see any red flags today.  it was sunny and still had a cool breeze.  overall mild, but dry and certainly wasn't warm.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Latest HRRR is really nice with the initial thump out this way. We only lose an hour to sleet then boom the sky open up. Dumps .5 qpf as snow in 3 hours.

No one deserves it as much as you.  You suffered this year.  This is your event.  Wave 1 and 2.  Crushed.  

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Latest HRRR is really nice with the initial thump out this way. We only lose an hour to sleet then boom the sky open up. Dumps .5 qpf as snow in 3 hours.

I think a 12/8/2013 type of surprise is possible tomorrow for those who get lucky enough.

3 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Honestly I’d love to see NoVA get raked, especially areas south and west of DC, into Trixieland in the WV panhandle that are in the worst of the snow hole this year. 

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

No one deserves it as much as you.  You suffered this year.  This is your event.  Wave 1 and 2.  Crushed.  

Tried to like these posts. But in my ridiculous excitement today I am out of likes :)

If the initial thump ends up verifying the models will have really handled it well. They have had my area targeted for a couple of days now. I just hope they are right.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Tried to like these posts. But in my ridiculous excitement today I am out of likes :)

If the initial thump ends up verifying the models will have really handled it well. They have had my area targeted for a couple of days now. I just hope they are right.

Me thinks you're gonna double your seasonal total, maybe 3 or 4 inches more than that :)

this is why you're in Winchester. These late March storms are incredible out there. Enjoy it

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived