Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20-21 Potential - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Fozz said:

Yeah I've been waiting for years to see something like this. Last year was so so close, but a last minute northern shift made it a sleety mess instead. Hopefully this one delivers.

Jan 26th 2011 is hands down the best paste bomb in this area in my lifetime. I don't think that storm can be topped for it's sheer impact with a single digit snowfall. I hope we get some of the joys a paste bomb brings with this storm

2 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Looks like last year. I remember last year it took me an hour to get my car out, because they had brought a snow plow down my parking lot and all of the sleet basically hardened into ice piles closing cars in.

Nice event of sleet accum even though snowfall was light officially.

Just now, MillvilleWx said:

If anyone has anything bad to say about the H5 progression on either NAM, then you'd might consider moving to AZ

I wish everyone would spend time learning h5 and h7. Remember the nam last night with it's surface depiction? lol. To be good at this hobby it goes far beyond watching a surface weather movie. 

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Jan 26th 2011 is hands down the best paste bomb in this area in my lifetime. I don't think that storm can be topped for it's sheer impact with a single digit snowfall. I hope we get some of the joys a paste bomb brings with this storm

Don’t tell that to anyone who sat in traffic for 10 hours trying to get home.  I remember they closed Fairfax Co schools all day (and people complained).  I kept telling everyone I know to get home before 4 pm.   Then it started and the city came to a halt.  

Just now, Bob Chill said:

I wish everyone would spend time learning h5 and h7. Remember the nam last night with it's surface depiction? lol. To be good at this hobby it goes far beyond watching a surface weather movie. 

Amen. I always look at the upper levels first, then look at the surface. You'll know when something wonky happens at the surface if you understand the upper levels. 3k is shaping up to be a doozy for MA and NE US. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

There’s a triple closed H7 contour on the 12k NAM (via iwm).  Textbook mid-Atlantic snowstorm depiction.

7 minutes ago, nj2va said:

There’s a triple closed H7 contour on the 12k NAM (via iwm).  Textbook mid-Atlantic snowstorm depiction.

IMHO- it's still best to stick with the euro/gfs combo for wave 2 but I really liked what both nams did in the upper levels. Northern tier won't like the thermals so there's perspective. I'm glad my heavy rain piece is turning into heavy sleet. This is a very dynamic storm. I really don't think we'll understand how the ull works out until this time tomorrow. 

The nam has the standard elevation based lull until the upper level energy gets cranking. We’re not gonna escape that precip building in southern va. If the coastal stalls then I expect our area to do really well with all that Atlantic moisture thrown back to the mountains. It looked good to me, just gotta be patient with the development/progression.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

IMHO- it's still best to stick with the euro/gfs combo for wave 2 but I really liked what both nams did in the upper levels. Northern tier won't like the thermals so there's perspective. I'm glad my heavy rain piece is turning into heavy sleet. This is a very dynamic storm. I really don't think we'll understand how the ull works out until this time tomorrow. 

NAM isn't that bad.  Going to need to be patient though, which I am not.  A lot of mix, then a lot of dryslot snizzle,  then finally, some decent snow.

Hey guys, first-time poster long time lurker here.

Could anyone, that has the time, please explain why on both the 12k and 3k 18z NAM the Shenandoah Valley seems to be under a large dry slot that never seems to fill in?  Would this be something that this area needs to worry about or is this just the NAM being the NAM?  

40 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

NAm is one hell of a sleet storm. Toss the snowmaps immediately. Surface near or below freezing and pounding sleet. That part of the storm in itself may be impressive. 

Driving on sleet is like driving on ball bearings mixed with oil.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Yup, this has been really fascinating to track.  I was betting on all rain in my backyard tomorrow until nightfall but I think things are trending for even DC/Arl/Alexandria to see frozen precip tomorrow during the day.  

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived