Newest Member
    joxey
March Mid/Long Range Disco 3

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, this one is trending well across all guidance. That trend probably isn't done yet. We can probably completely rule out an overhead or west track rain storm at this point. The important stuff isn't really happening until d4 still so the lead offers plenty of time for adjustments. 12z eps is an important run. If there is an uptick of phased/amplified solutions then it probably getting close to game on here. 

what i like is that it can still trend better versus a bunch of bad runs and a huge hit, followed by more trending of one of the pieces that may result in a not so ideal solution.  two things working in our favor are less time before the event each run and the fact that it could still get a little better.  still gotta be cautious though of moving targets.

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If you toggle the vort panels you can see the euro sped up the trailing shortwave by about 150-200 miles from 0z. One more shift like that and fireworks go off. We're in good shape. I said this yesterday, I feel really good about this one I can't say I've felt this way about ANY previous event  t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶ the last two years.

Fixed! :D (Unless ya felt good before the sleet storm last year, lol)

Seems that the euro bias of holding energy back for too long is what we are seeing.  Closer things get the more the euro adjusts to what will happen.  Not to say that the euro will go totally full GFS but every step it takes to the GFS is important.

Just now, kurtstack said:

I don't know how people can still say the euro is such a consistent model - it has gone from Miami to Charlottesville with this storm in 24 hours...

Well the perception of models probably depends on exactly what you're looking at. I haven't checked any verification scores...but it probably depends on what level you look at (I know a lot of scoring looks at H5) and also the area you look in. I wonder if it's been more accurate for their side of the Atlantic...after all - the Euro should probably be most accurate for the area it's primarily designed to serve. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, this one is trending well across all guidance. That trend probably isn't done yet. We can probably completely rule out an overhead or west track rain storm at this point. The important stuff isn't really happening until d4 still so the lead offers plenty of time for adjustments. 12z eps is an important run. If there is an uptick of phased/amplified solutions then it probably getting close to game on here. 

Never was really worried about a west track with this one. Didn't see how the 500's would allow that. Progressive and to the south has been my major concern. Euro made a big move away from that today I thought. Look on previous runs argued that we would need a spot on phase to get it to gain some latitude. Now I think even a partial/sloppy phase gets this up into the Baltimore region.

2 minutes ago, kurtstack said:

I don't know how people can still say the euro is such a consistent model - it has gone from Miami to Charlottesville with this storm in 24 hours...

people always says its not prone to wild swings run to run....have you guys watched it this week?

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Strongly agree here.  I am leaning towards more EPS members looking like the GFS OP/GEFS on its 12z run.  Would be nice to see a few EPS members look like the UKMET though...

6 minutes ago, Ji said:

people always says its not prone to wild swings run to run....have you guys watched it this week?

IMO the GFS has been the one that hasn't really swung wildly this year. Sure there have been a couple times but usually even when it's wrong it holds tight or makes small adjustments up until game time. 

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

ALL ops jump around from d4+. Once we hit 72 hours, if the GFS/Euro are similar then whatever solution they show becomes very likely. I will say that the GFS has impressed me this year. It's done an admirable job in general.

8 minutes ago, kurtstack said:

I just doesnt usually make big swings. And when it does, like it did yesterday in losing the storm, it takes it's time coming back. Lets not forget the Euro had a pretty good vort pass for us back in it's Snday and Monday runs. Then it just completely lost the storm.

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

ALL ops jump around from d4+. Once we hit 72 hours, if the GFS/Euro are similar then whatever solution they show becomes very likely. I will say that the GFS has impressed me this year. It's done an admirable job in general.

The GFS has had a storm (generally a snowstorm) somewhere near our region, centered on or about Monday, every run for the last four days. That's really impressive. And it shows how loaded the pattern is for this area.

Archived