Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Blizzard 2018 Take II: The Firehose

40/70 Benchmark

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Coastalwx has been posting wind obs all day.

Seems to be pretty freakin' legit.  BOS is sustained in the 40s and gusting in the 50s and still increasing.

Thanks.  I have not been following the storm or this thread too closely.  Glad (or not?)  its living up to its potential as far as wind.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

I wasn't too impressed with a report I received from Hopewell Jct NY....she had 3 inches of slop and it just kept melting as it fell

I live 15 mins north of there... 9" so far. It's a disaster zone in my hood, no power and most roads have trees and wires down. 

I just got back from the Catskills where I arrived late last night and spent the morning looking for the deepest snow I could find. Between Hunter and Windham, they already had over 2 ft by noon. Had to duck out early when the winds picked up and I started dodging tree limbs every few minutes, but certainly a great storm up there. 

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Big question is how fast does that firehose sink south

That secondary pulse out over the ocean should temporarily halt the southward progression for a time this evening. At least that is what some of the short term guidance shows and has been catching up to all day. It's sort of a race between the H5 flow turning more ENE and the expanding influence of the upper low.

man...some places in E CT could get thumped this evening...possibly all the way to the shoreline. suspect i might end up just a bit too far west to cash in on that especially if the HRRR is right. What a kick in the nuts that would be if the snowhole of CT, GON, somehow pulls off 4-6" with nada west of the river.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I will say, most of you have been very even keeled about this system today.

Its gotta be tough on March 2nd to see a set-up like this with a firehose of moisture but miss a truly crippling event by like 2C.  Props.

Hopefully the patience pays off tonight.

especially when it's snowing in Delaware and raining in the NEK

1 minute ago, ma blizzard said:

pretty sure this is not verifying .. nice 3 hr forecast there 

Yeah 18z NAM was really bullish on flashing things over....the fact WaWa is still struggling with RA/SN mix is troubling for any amounts over about 3 or 4 inches IMHO....there's still time, but it needs to get going. I'm wondering if the lift is a little too low also...it's a little below the best snow growth region, and melting crappy flakes takes less energy, so the latent cooling isn't as much.

Archived