Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard 2018 Take II: The Firehose

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

You and Harv...I give you credit going opposite of what he was saying...but I guess we know why he’s the Pro he is. 

I post with conviction, but like anyone else, I'm not always right.

Case en point.

But I still think my long range call was great....it was my medium range forecasting that failed.

The SSW delivered, as a highly anomalous block and storm developed.....but the cold drifted to the wrong side of the globe.

2 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

We're cooling aloft, winds should turn down a bit, hopefully heavier stuff mixes colder air down.

Just nitpicking, but you can't "mix" cold air down....it will happen via latent cooling (snowflakes melting into the warm BL...freezing level will drop more and more...esp if the snow aloft is heavy)

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I still get mixed up on that.

Yeah the other best way to cool the air is to get a dewpoint drain and continuously use evaporational cooling. We obviously don't have that in this system.

13 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yup. Drying and warming. Only 0.42” here. Impressive storm, but meh effects for NH aside from the coast. 

0.96" down here. Other than a couple trees down here or there forgetable for NH. I'm up to 40.3F my high for the day. 

Anytime you’re relying on dynamics cooling the atmosphere in a system where there is no real cold air to be had...you’re playing with Fire imo.   And we’re seeing it first hand in a lot of places.

More times than not...it’s a bust..at least where I’m at and in my experience.  This is a flop here with regard to any snow.

Winds are howling though dam good now!

9 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah I posted the map below earlier... 850s do the same... not sure what the source of this colder air is, but I've been using WaWa cam as my litmus and now wondering if we might see flip sooner coming from northeast MA... 

RAP 925 hpa temps at 22z:

5a99bfebcbdd9_925mb_19zRAP.thumb.png.0f53a20a6aa61ee4bf85194156c94d9c.png

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Anytime you’re relying on dynamics cooling the atmosphere in a system where there is no real cold air to be had...you’re playing with Fire imo.   And we’re seeing it first hand in a lot of places.

More times than not...it’s a bust..at least where I’m at and in my experience.  This is a flop here with regard to any snow.

Winds are howling though dam good now!

I still say what really killed the snow was the fact that its not stalling for as long as it had appeared it would.....a few days ago, it was going strong until nearly dawn.

This harkens back to John's point this morning about the -PNA attributable se ridge keeping this relatively progressive for a fully captured tempest.

It is going to flip....but the heavy hitter rates are going to sink away. We don't have 12/92 or 4/97 residence time for the firehose.

Archived