Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Blizzard 2018 Take II: The Firehose

40/70 Benchmark

8 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

We probably just started losing the warm mid levels, given that consistent gusts coming through now that have to be near 50 mph. Low level clouds are racing across the sky. The sky reminds me of the windiest nor Easter I ever experienced while I lived LI (can’t remeber the year but I believe it was March 2011). Lots of outages and trees down from that one.

March 2010. Was devastating for the south shore of LI. I had 75 mph gusts easy, maybe 80 mph. Trees and power lines were down everywhere, parts of my town were out for a week. 

This isn’t that level here but we’re definitely getting some 60mph gusts. Tides this morning were bad and expected to get worse tonight with locally major coastal flooding. This is definitely a real nasty one. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some changes up here.  Rain has ended and ceilings coming way up with brightening.  Temp has just begun to fall back within the last half an hour.

Surprise 3.25" from early morning is still covering the ground. 

Question about the wind.  Seemed like yesterday there was talk of 65 to even hurricane force gusts along  the coast.  I haven't seen obs that high  (although James just posted about a  83mph potential gust).  Is the observed winds along the coast a bit lower than we expected so far?  

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Will

Any clarity with regard to seeing any

meso lows rotating in

Im skeptical for ne mass totals,  fire hose needs to stay north w system moving see now

I was almost wondering if the cold mixes in from CT northeastward now... cold air tucking around the low.  Wonder if NE MA is the last to flip?

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Some changes up here.  Rain has ended and ceilings coming way up with brightening.  Temp has just begun to fall back within the last half an hour.

Question about the wind.  Seemed like yesterday there was talk of 65 to even hurricane force gusts along  the coast.  I haven't seen obs that high  (although James just posted about a  83mph potential gust).  Is the observed winds along the coast a bit lower than we expected so far?  

Lots of 60-80mph obs out there.

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

Coastalwx has been posting wind obs all day.

Seems to be pretty freakin' legit.  BOS is sustained in the 40s and gusting in the 50s and still increasing.

8 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Will

Any clarity with regard to seeing any

meso lows rotating in

Im skeptical for ne mass totals,  fire hose needs to stay north w system moving see now

There's a nice pulse to the ENE of PVC out over the ocean...that firehose is still gaining some latitude there...that's kind of the secondary push this evening that models have been hinting about

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

that blows. 

Looks like that slot is filling in over Danbury!!! I just want to rip 2-3'' per hour for a couple hours

I have wanted that for every storm but only in the 2/13 blizzard was it sustained for at least a few hours....and that feb event last year wasnt too shabby

Archived