Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 4-6 Coastal Bomb Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Large pressure falls, highest tides of the year, NE fetch offshore..rising sea levels. We flood.

Good point about the offshore fetch, the easterly flow far off shore (I note PVC is NNE) must be sloshing the water into the harbor.  Incredible that there wasn't a ripple in the water yesterday off Winthrop.

Just now, apm said:

Good point about the offshore fetch, the easterly flow far off shore (I note PVC is NNE) must be sloshing the water into the harbor.  Incredible that there wasn't a ripple in the water yesterday off Winthrop.

Ekman spiral. Water will move to the right. So, N winds will help pile water onshore.

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Here's the RAP as Will alluded to.  Full-frontal nudity if this verifies.  We'd see 24" reports if this verifies.

Full-fronto nudity?

1 hour ago, WintersComing said:

Question....Anyone know what radar setting/image depicts snow growth?  I saw Ryan tweeted an image earlier indicating it.

Check ZDR (differential reflectivity). Normally around 0 for snow, but pure dendrites start pushing it back up towards 0.5-1 dB.

22 minutes ago, WthrJunkyME said:

Bring it!  Our wind just now kicked up and vis is way down.  Went to grocery store an hour ago, I was very meh, but my tune has changed! :)  I knew I’d be late to the game though.

I did the same in Freeport.  Was meh on the way in, really coming down on the way out. 

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Logan 6.5 as of 1pm.  Considering I was at 7 around 12:30 and +SN and considering the Logan observations are t seems a bit low.

Hard to measure here in Eastie, but I just got back from outside and measured 9" at Orient Heights. 6.5" seems low, but Logan seems to always be lower than surrounding areas. 

Archived