Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I had a Jameson with a splash of iced tea in my hand when I made that post. My 3 day weekend started an hour ago. Currently have Black Sabbath concert on Showtime at too many decibels on surround sound rocking the pups crazy. 

Fairy's wear boots?

5 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

Fairy's wear boots?

Snowblind!

What you get and what you see
Things that don't come easily
Feeling happy in my vein
Icicles within my brain 

Something blowing in my head
Winter's ice, it soon will spread
Death would freeze my very soul
Makes me happy, makes me cold

My eyes are blind but I can see
The snowflakes glisten on the tree
The sun no longer sets me free
I feel there's no place freezing me

Let the winter sun shine on
Let me feel the frost of dawn
Fill my dreams with flakes of snow
Soon I'll feel the chilling glow

Don't you think I know what I'm doing
Don't tell me that it's doing me wrong
You're the one who's really the loser
This is where I feel I belong

Crystal world with winter flowers
Turns my day to frozen hours
Lying snowblind in the sun
Will my ice age ever come?

20 hours ago, dendrite said:

Was looking back at some old COOP scrolls like Ginxy and saw this from Dixville Notch from the Dec 1933 cold shot...

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-BBF05124-4007-401B-A1BD-CB69A151D235.pdf

It says on the form, "not standard thermometer"...whatever that means. The state record is -47F so that -52F would be close. I'm curious as to what this guy's setup was. The Berlin COOP had -41F from that airmass.

What a cold/snowy winter!  And the Feb 1934 shot was even more impressive than the Dec 1933 one.

7 minutes ago, Paragon said:

What a cold/snowy winter!  And the Feb 1934 shot was even more impressive than the Dec 1933 one.

I think peak of the cold in Dec 33 and Feb 43 were more impressive than Feb 34 in most of NH, but Feb 34 was obviously relentless for the entire month...-12F departure for CON. Dec 33 pulled a record low daily max temp for CON with -11F which blows away the 2nd place of -4F set a couple of times. I can't even fathom S NH spending the entire day double digits below 0F in this era.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think peak of the cold in Dec 33 and Feb 43 were more impressive than Feb 34 in most of NH, but Feb 34 was obviously relentless for the entire month...-12F departure for CON. Dec 33 pulled a record low daily max temp for CON with -11F which blows away the 2nd place of -4F set a couple of times. I can't even fathom S NH spending the entire day double digits below 0F in this era.

The closest thing I can think of to Feb 34 down here is Feb 2015 (for the entire month, not for individual extremes.)  Feb 1943 was one of those really cold WW2 winters (I think NYC got down to -6 in that one? Not sure).  Winters around WW1 and WW2 were both really cold here and in Europe. 1917-18 was a standout winter from WW1 (-13 here in December is outrageous!)

If we got a winter like one of those again, there would for sure be some kind of misery with out of control heating bills.

15 hours ago, dendrite said:

I didn’t notice anything here.

Neither did the family in SNJ, much closer to the epicenter but with 6 active kids in the house, anything not strong enough to toss stuff off the shelves would probably not be noted.

Some bits of slush on our road suggests the precip started frozen, but only T.  Recorded 0.10" total precip.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

That Feb 43 cold shot brought CON to -37 and PWM to an incredible -39.  Other than the -31 at 11:59 the night before, their next coldest is -26 in Jan 71.  I'd guess that's the country's coldest temp so close to salt water unless one is north of the Aleutian Peninsula.

Dec 33 vies with Dec 17 at many locations for coldest ever in Dec.  Dec 30 stands out as a cold spot in NYC records.  Central Park has recorded -6 or colder on 11 mornings, and 3 are on 12/30, with -6 for both 1880 and 1933, and -13 in 1917 (their coldest maxima - 2 - and coldest daily mean, 2F colder than the 8/-15 of 2/9/34.)  The other 8 days with -6 or colder occurred on 8 different dates.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

That Feb 43 cold shot brought CON to -37 and PWM to an incredible -39.  Other than the -31 at 11:59 the night before, their next coldest is -26 in Jan 71.  I'd guess that's the country's coldest temp so close to salt water unless one is north of the Aleutian Peninsula.

Dec 33 vies with Dec 17 at many locations for coldest ever in Dec.  Dec 30 stands out as a cold spot in NYC records.  Central Park has recorded -6 or colder on 11 mornings, and 3 are on 12/30, with -6 for both 1880 and 1933, and -13 in 1917 (their coldest maxima - 2 - and coldest daily mean, 2F colder than the 8/-15 of 2/9/34.)  The other 8 days with -6 or colder occurred on 8 different dates.

To have Dec 33 followed closely by Feb 34 must have been brutal for many

12 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I thInk he’s saying he thinks negative departures will be more but maybe I’m wrong?

Over would be greater than -7F ie closer to zero...and I agree with him. The core of the cold should be west of us. I’d probably lean -3ish monthly right now. Happy b’day Jer.

We had to take a ride down to the tropics today  (Boston).  Always interesting to watch the car thermometer rise as we head 125 miles south. Usually about a 10F difference.  50F something felt so warm.  Jeez, the leaves on the trees heading south on Rt 93 and around Boston.  Looked like Columbus Day weekend along Storrow Drive!

20171201_103033.jpg

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

We had to take a ride down to the tropics today  (Boston).  Always interesting to watch the car thermometer rise as we head 125 miles south. Usually about a 10F difference.  50F something felt so warm.  Jeez, the leaves on the trees heading south on Rt 93 and around Boston.  Looked like Columbus Day weekend along Storrow Drive!

20171201_103033.jpg

Just a few miles away looks a lot different.

Archived