Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:15 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

Well it just shows those fake cold radiators have nothing to do with leaves. 

Truthfully, I think it has more to do with colder daytime temps 

Maybe, but on our trip to SNJ over T-Day weekend I noted little difference in leaf retention on oaks whether hilltop or valley.  Once I got south of Augusta, all seemed unusually leafy for late November.  And since hilltops generally catch more wind, I'd expect them to show a bit more drop.

Q for those who know roofing...

I'm putting some metal roofing up on a portion of my chicken run...6 12'x3' panels giving me 12'x18' of coverage. I plan to keep up with the snow removal for any snow that doesn't slide off. My question is, what should I use for purlins and what should my spacing be if my 2'x6' rafters are spaced 26" OC? Should the purlins be PT since they would somewhat be in contact with the elements (fog, drizzle, etc)? Maybe only the top few rows with PT? This will be a slanted roof...8' high on the south side and slanting to 6' high on the north side. My plan was to go with 2"x4" purlins spaced 18" OC, but wondered if I could get away with the 1"x3" or 1"x4"s. Since there's no plywood underneath to help spread the load I figured the 2"x4"s would be a better bet.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

I think I mentioned earlier too, that MOS will be going away as well. Clearly if the NAM goes away so does the MET, but with the new model core MAV will be meaningless too.

Forecasts are about to get a lot worse when that happens. Lots of lazy mets like deer in headlights looking for their MOS numbers to munch.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yes.

All focus is going on the NGGPS. That means no more model upgrades in the meantime as well.

We had someone from IBM come and speak to our mesoscale class today and he mentioned this. I can't say I am very surprised really...better to spend the resources into other means  

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Q for those who know roofing...

I'm putting some metal roofing up on a portion of my chicken run...6 12'x3' panels giving me 12'x18' of coverage. I plan to keep up with the snow removal for any snow that doesn't slide off. My question is, what should I use for purlins and what should my spacing be if my 2'x6' rafters are spaced 26" OC? Should the purlins be PT since they would somewhat be in contact with the elements (fog, drizzle, etc)? Maybe only the top few rows with PT? This will be a slanted roof...8' high on the south side and slanting to 6' high on the north side. My plan was to go with 2"x4" purlins spaced 18" OC, but wondered if I could get away with the 1"x3" or 1"x4"s. Since there's no plywood underneath to help spread the load I figured the 2"x4"s would be a better bet.

You should just run 1x3 strapping across the rafters, 18" OC, 2x4 would be over kill if you give it enough roof pitch, It should unload if it has any southerly exposure.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Forecasts are about to get a lot worse when that happens. Lots of lazy mets like deer in headlights looking for their MOS numbers to munch.

:lol:

I very rarely use MOS. I try to use mixing heights to make my high forecasts but that process can be rather difficult. I refer to MOS alot but I don't get why so many live and die by it and use it for forecasting without even looking at guidance and stuff.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I believe the plan is to create a MOS-like product based on the national blend of models. So there will be a rip and reader equivalent.

It is going to be the end of an era for sure though, considering how well we all know MOS biases. I hope the MOS version of the NBM is better than the raw output I've seen so far, because it does not handle low levels temps well in our wedged in scenarios.

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

ahhh that makes perfect sense! When he said the NAM was being phased out he mentioned that the biggest competitor to the GFS was the Euro and if we put more resources into the GFS and such perhaps it can become a much more superior model 

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

You should just run 1x3 strapping across the rafters, 18" OC, 2x4 would be over kill if you give it enough roof pitch, It should unload if it has any southerly exposure.

It slopes S to N so there will be little sun hitting it this time of year. Come summer the angle will be high enough to create some shadows. My trig tells me the angle is only about 10deg from the ground.

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

ahhh that makes perfect sense! When he said the NAM was being phased out he mentioned that the biggest competitor to the GFS was the Euro and if we put more resources into the GFS and such perhaps it can become a much more superior model 

Still not 4DVAR, so we'll see how it stacks up to the ECMWF. 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

4dvar

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It slopes S to N so there will be little sun hitting it this time of year. Come summer the angle will be high enough to create some shadows. My trig tells me the angle is only about 10deg from the ground.

A 6/12 pitch would work out in that case, Similar to what i did here with my wood shed.................

Wood Shed.JPG

Shed.JPG

Archived