Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, dryslot said:

A 6/12 pitch would work out in that case, Similar to what i did here with my wood shed.................

Wood Shed.JPG

Shed.JPG

I think I'm around a 3/12. My front 4x4 posts are about 8' AGL and the back ones are about 6' AGL. The front and back sides are about 8-9ft apart and I already have the 2x6s bolted into the posts on each side. I'll never let more than a foot get on top of it at any one time though.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I think I'm around a 3/12. My front 4x4 posts are about 8' AGL and the back ones are about 6' AGL. The front and back sides are about 8-9ft apart and I already have the 2x6s bolted into the posts on each side. I'll never let more than a foot get on top of it at any one time though.

The metal roofing will also help rather then the asphalt shingles with retention so you should be ok.

Just now, weatherwiz said:

I thought the GFS used it? Didn't some poster a while back post a thread about that or something?

Not really, it uses a hybrid version that is somewhere between it's former capability and 4DVAR. It's moving in the right direction, not all the way there though. I do think this next gen system does allow the modelers more flexibility in the future to make large changes like that, but that sort of thing is way over my head.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Not really, it uses a hybrid version that is somewhere between it's former capability and 4DVAR. It's moving in the right direction, not all the way there though. I do think this next gen system does allow the modelers more flexibility in the future to make large changes like that, but that sort of thing is way over my head.

At least this seems like a step in the right direction. Wish the process would go much faster

27 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

At least this seems like a step in the right direction. Wish the process would go much faster

By the time we get a true 4DVAR the euro will be in some kind of 6th dimensional Matthew Mcconaughey Interstellar model where the model can go into the future to get RAOB data and then implement that into the model run. 

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

By the time we get a true 4DVAR the euro will be in some kind of 6th dimensional Matthew Mcconaughey Interstellar model where the model can go into the future to get RAOB data and then implement that into the model run. 

sounds about right, wait until they use drones instead of balloon launches, Legro start tuning your drone skills

51 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You know it's early December when traces of snow last for days in sunshine and temps above freezing.  

Also when "areas of frost" exist at 3pm on a sunny day, that may be a sign of a low sun angle.

Was thinking the same thing earlier today when I driving the hound to his vet appointment.  38° on the car thermo and heavy frost in the shade with some small snow patches left here and there.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

You know it's early December when traces of snow last for days in sunshine and temps above freezing.  

Also when "areas of frost" exist at 3pm on a sunny day, that may be a sign of a low sun angle.

Even earlier - my only Nov. measurable, all of 0.1" on 11/16 (least snowy of 20 Novies despite being -3 for temp), was still visible on our road as we headed to NJ on the 23rd.  In March it would've been gone by 10 AM.

I didn't do so well on this homework question and I'm trying to understand it better for the test. I've read the lecture notes and the book and it helped a bit but I want to make sure I have a stronger understanding. For the side of the equation with the 2 above it I think I generally understand this equation...this is the equation for entrainment and if dm/dz = 0 this means no entrainment is present. What I don't fully understand is the equation below the 1. The professor also mentioned something significant about the L^2 term being in the denominator. What I basically have to explain is (making reference to the equation is) where no entrainment is taking place, why in the normal range of temperatures is the moist adiabatic lapse rate less than the dry adiabatic lapse rate. I explained how the release of latent heat plays a role and that aspect got me some credit on my answer. I just need to understand that left hand side better as well as why the L^2 being in the denominator is important. 

5a25d75bd72ff_thermoproblem.thumb.jpg.8c5125cc462ab40e4503c0417abaa5a6.jpg

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

ditch all our inferior models and concentrate resources toward a good one. we don't need the NAM 

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Never heard of him. Wasn't sure if he was a met from our company. 

I was thinking in class whether or not you knew him.  He mentioned he knew some guys who worked in Andover, MA. This guy is a genius. He's an engineer with a background in meteorology (not sure if he had a meteorology degree or not) but he's developed a ton of code and worked on projects doing gridepoint scaling of like 1 km and talked about wanted to do sub 1km. I would kill to be smart with coding.  

32 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Never heard of him. Wasn't sure if he was a met from our company. 

Was just looking through Maue's EPS stuff and noticed he has meteograms from a lot of those old ICAO codes including S. Weymouth. :lol:

http://wx.graphics/models/city/eps_charts.php
KNZW_2017120412_forecast_EPS_360.png

Also...I was playing around on WU and if you get into the history for a certain ASOS/AWOS station and manually change the URL date and station to KNZW you can get all of the old hourly South Weymouth obs.

Here's Feb 78.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KNZW/1978/2/6/DailyHistory.html

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Was just looking through Maue's EPS stuff and noticed he has meteograms from a lot of those old ICAO codes including S. Weymouth. :lol:

Also...I was playing around on WU and if you get into the history for a certain ASOS/AWOS station and manually change the URL date and station to KNZW you can get all of the old hourly South Weymouth obs.

Here's Feb 78.

I like the 8pm ob...0.0 vis...wind NNE42G53.

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

KNZW_2017120412_forecast_EPS_360.png

Here's Feb 78.

20  total hrs with vis under .2 mile 

Archived