Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Was looking back at some old COOP scrolls like Ginxy and saw this from Dixville Notch from the Dec 1933 cold shot...

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-BBF05124-4007-401B-A1BD-CB69A151D235.pdf

It says on the form, "not standard thermometer"...whatever that means. The state record is -47F so that -52F would be close. I'm curious as to what this guy's setup was. The Berlin COOP had -41F from that airmass.

The previous day high of -35 is interesting

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The previous day high of -35 is interesting

Not sure I believe most of those numbers, but with a late December airmass that extreme I bet they could have a day where they don't mix out at all. They hit -40Fs and then just rot in the -30Fs all day with low sun and no wind and drop again at night. The Balsams is an elevated pit.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Not sure I believe most of those numbers, but with a late December airmass that extreme I bet they could have a day where they don't mix out at all. They hit -40Fs and then just rot in the -30Fs all day with low sun and no wind and drop again at night. The Balsams is an elevated pit.

I was very skeptical of that number...though your scenario is plausible...an extreme cold shot and then maybe the wind dies down enough as the high pressure ridge moves in so that they aren't able to mix at all in the elevated depression up there and the sun sets in late December extremely early so they start radiating again pretty early in the afternoon. That's really the only way...there is no way they could have a high in the -30s with even a semi-mixed atmosphere...it's almost impossible. 850s would have to be like -45C, lol.

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was very skeptical of that number...though your scenario is plausible...an extreme cold shot and then maybe the wind dies down enough as the high pressure ridge moves in so that they aren't able to mix at all in the elevated depression up there and the sun sets in late December extremely early so they start radiating again pretty early in the afternoon. That's really the only way...there is no way they could have a high in the -30s with even a semi-mixed atmosphere...it's almost impossible. 850s would have to be like -45C, lol.

Sounds like the "Day After Tomorrow".

Yeah I’ll take the over on -35F, but -20Fs wouldn’t surprise me. There’s some peculiar readings in there so who knows when the person was observing or if they used a max/min thermometer. Maybe they measured at 7a and 7p and called it highs and lows? Because I see some days where the “min” is warmer than the “max”. Maybe that would indicated falling temps throughout the day? Maybe that’s what they mean by nonstandard? IIRC BML used to easily beat the Berlin COOP on mins so if the COOP did -41F I guess -45F at BML and -50F at an elevated hole like Dixville Notch is possible. 

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Almost. Minus the mixing down air to the sfc from the stratosphere dry adiabatically and yet still producing temps way below 0F. Maybe the strat was near absolute zero in the movie? ;)

Yeah, something insanely like that. The petrol fueling the helicopters gelled and they all crashed. New York was buried under what looked like a hundred meters of snow.

6 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Yeah, something insanely like that. The petrol fueling the helicopters gelled and they all crashed. New York was buried under what looked like a hundred meters of snow.

I did like how all the sea water flooded manhattan and then froze over within 24 hours...even before that ridiculous "eye" passed over them with the stratospheric air.  

At least if they are gonna get 50 feet of snow in a few days they could have given us some better shots of heavy snowfall rates.

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

Was looking back at some old COOP scrolls like Ginxy and saw this from Dixville Notch from the Dec 1933 cold shot...

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-BBF05124-4007-401B-A1BD-CB69A151D235.pdf

It says on the form, "not standard thermometer"...whatever that means. The state record is -47F so that -52F would be close. I'm curious as to what this guy's setup was. The Berlin COOP had -41F from that airmass.

Nov 30th 1875 New Haven Ct, impressive, I dug up the New Haven Coops record

https://twitter.com/NWSBoston/status/936266281396985856

coop.jpg

coop2.jpg

coop3.JPG

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Color me skeptical.  The coldest maximum I've seen for a New England station not named MWN was -24 at 1st CT Lake on that bitter Christmas of 1980 - recorded as 12/26 due to their 7 AM obs time - and on Mansfield Jan. 15, 2004.  (Got all the way up to -16 in Ft. Kent that Christmas, though the 9F at my 9 PM obs the evening before spoiled it.)

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Color me skeptical.  The coldest maximum I've seen for a New England station not named MWN was -24 at 1st CT Lake on that bitter Christmas of 1980 - recorded as 12/26 due to their 7 AM obs time - and on Mansfield Jan. 15, 2004.  (Got all the way up to -16 in Ft. Kent that Christmas, though the 9F at my 9 PM obs the evening before spoiled it.)

Yeah, like I said in my other post I don’t believe it. There’s something else going on there with what the observer is calling a max and a min. But if the person measured at 7a and 7p it’s conceivable that it was -35F at 7a, warmed to -20F to -25F during the afternoon, then fell back down to -35F by a 7p obs time, and finally the -52F reading the following 7a. That’s all just a guess, but a lot of observers in the 1800s didn’t have max/min thermometers and instead took spread out obs 2-4x per day. 

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah, like I said in my other post I don’t believe it. There’s something else going on there with what the observer is calling a max and a min. But if the person measured at 7a and 7p it’s conceivable that it was -35F at 7a, warmed to -20F to -25F during the afternoon, then fell back down to -35F by a 7p obs time, and finally the -52F reading the following 7a. That’s all just a guess, but a lot of observers in the 1800s didn’t have max/min thermometers and instead took spread out obs 2-4x per day. 

Hey just noticed they have Cocorahs precip, snow data now in here under mutil station

http://scacis.rcc-acis.org/

On 11/29/2017 at 6:08 PM, OceanStWx said:

@Damage In Tolland I may be headed to see the parents in RI, swinging into Tree House is sounding tempting. Between Alter Ego, Bright, and MA what do you recommend? 

Dude... did you make it? They canned 2 more today in addition. Haze and Doppelgänger. Doppel is my favorite. I really hope you went .

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Dude... did you make it? They canned 2 more today in addition. Haze and Doppelgänger. Doppel is my favorite. I really hope you went .

You should read through the thread. I came, I saw, I conquered. 

I came out with a good haul, Alter, Bright, Haze, and Doppel.

Archived