Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, leo2000 said:

I got a question for the Mets in here does this major pattern change look like a 1 week change? 2 week? 3 weeks or longer?. Does it go back to the Mid November Zonal pattern?. Just wondering, what your thoughts are?. 

Leo, you worry amazingly a lot for someone with your snow climo.  You can survive all kinds of patterns the rest of us can’t.

6 minutes ago, leo2000 said:

I got a question for the Mets in here does this major pattern change look like a 1 week change? 2 week? 3 weeks or longer?. Does it go back to the Mid November Zonal pattern?. Just wondering, what your thoughts are?. 

Stratospheric PV gets knocked around pretty good...that combined with the ensembles/week 3 of the weeklies tells me that it won't be a very fast flip back to zonal. I'd be surprised if it were just a 8-10 day shift.

Replying in the banter thread to comments in the model thread about not wanting a stretch of dry cold in December - I don't know how old I was but it was in the 70s when I was growing up in central Vermont and I remember one year where it was really really cold one December.  I spent school vacation taking my hockey skates and going for long walks to find every pond I could and go skating on them.  Just something different.  I remember seeing my brother drive past one place I was at and the cloud of frozen dust his car kicked up off the dirt road hung in the air for fifteen minutes.  Why it resonates is that winter when it started to snow, it seemed like we got snow every 3 -5 days for the next two months. 

It's the central Mass. school of measurement.  I think the guy in Lunenburg still uses it.  You sweep and measure so there is no compaction and just add the numbers up for the total.  Why bother actually taking a measurement for a daily amount?

I call it the Fort Kent method - check the snowstake.  If snow is deeper than yesterday, record difference as 24-hour snowfall.  task completed.  Although that explains how FK averages about 20% less snow than CAR when experience notes that they actually get more, it doesn't cover how 27.3" snowfall can boost pack by 28" despite two well above freezing events totaling 1.7" RA doesn't settle the snow at all.

re: The Manning benching.  Maybe it's coaches with jobs on the line getting ridiculously desperate, replacing mid-level QBs with ones either unable or untested (Bills), hoping to strike gold in a dumpster.

3 minutes ago, Tom12309 said:

Replying in the banter thread to comments in the model thread about not wanting a stretch of dry cold in December - I don't know how old I was but it was in the 70s when I was growing up in central Vermont and I remember one year where it was really really cold one December.  I spent school vacation taking my hockey skates and going for long walks to find every pond I could and go skating on them.  Just something different.  I remember seeing my brother drive past one place I was at and the cloud of frozen dust his car kicked up off the dirt road hung in the air for fifteen minutes.  Why it resonates is that winter when it started to snow, it seemed like we got snow every 3 -5 days for the next two months. 

My guess is Dec 1976...really cold December that year. Not a whole lot of snow either until late in the month and esp January.

Gust front just passed thru Augusta, maybe 30 mph so NBD, with a bit of RA to follow. 

Ancient history, but while I was traveling (early 23rd-late 28th) the bucket caught 0.01" precip, high temp was 46 (Sat?) and low was 5, date unknown.  Wind blew the cover off the grill, so there must've been a bit of wx.  None in NJ - rain free, almost cloud free, temps 20 to 60.  Great wx for leaf raking, and the grandkids and their dad built a "leaf-tepee" by packing leaves around a cone of sticks.  Structure was about 7' tall and 4' wide, with a small entry hole at the base and room inside for two kiddoes, barely.  Also had a 30" high fortress in front, a wall of packed leaves.

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I have found more and more discrepancies, looks like that was the way they did things

I have zero clue how they input the data at NCEI, but I know it's an act of congress to get data changed (we're trying to backfill obs at MHT to get records for instance). 

I do find that oftentimes the snow depth data is cumulative instead of a natural compaction/melt off. I don't know if back in the day, in the absence of data they just added up the snowfall to get the depth?

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I have zero clue how they input the data at NCEI, but I know it's an act of congress to get data changed (we're trying to backfill obs at MHT to get records for instance). 

I do find that oftentimes the snow depth data is cumulative instead of a natural compaction/melt off. I don't know if back in the day, in the absence of data they just added up the snowfall to get the depth?

The HFD obs Steve posted actually had snow depth data in the raw form (albeit in tenths of an inch). Yet somehow it ends up online as cumulative.

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

We had the F6 data reconstructed for ORH between 1995-2002 and we still couldn't get it into the NCDC database. Hopefully another attempt is successful in the future. I guess they'd rather have zeros or clearly wrong snowfall data.

I still have all the F6 electronic files stored when the day comes....

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Stratospheric PV gets knocked around pretty good...that combined with the ensembles/week 3 of the weeklies tells me that it won't be a very fast flip back to zonal. I'd be surprised if it were just a 8-10 day shift.

With the tendency for blocking to hang on longer than modeled too, I would say the consistency/consensus we're seeing argues that way.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The HFD obs Steve posted actually had snow depth data in the raw form (albeit in tenths of an inch). Yet somehow it ends up online as cumulative.

That I can't explain. Like I don't even know if these are scanned and then QCed (or not), or if someone hand typed all this. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We had the F6 data reconstructed for ORH between 1995-2002 and we still couldn't get it into the NCDC database. Hopefully another attempt is successful in the future. I guess they'd rather have zeros or clearly wrong snowfall data.

I still have all the F6 electronic files stored when the day comes....

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is not a top priority within the gov't, nor will it be anytime soon. Everybody loves to talk about records, but this treads a little too close to climate. In that sense they are right to keep that data held tight, but it's not like you did this project with BOX last year. That should've been plenty of time to review and update the observations.

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

61 for the high. Wow. Now we drop. 

not making a comment or insinuation to anything but ... still a fail in my o - 

the models, the Euro in particular ...granted outside their wheelhouses were bangin out like 3 days of near +20 or something.  

i was mentioning to Will and still believe it to be the case, just how much that hearkened back to time after time after time all summer ... big heat/ridge roll outs would do this and end up being a day or less warm sector slice before a fropa. 

i just find it interesting that here we are sans that seasons and making inroads into winter and that particular plague is still infecting - haha.  in any case, interesting -

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

not making a comment or insinuation to anything but ... still a fail in my o - 

the models, the Euro in particular ...granted outside their wheelhouses were bangin out like 3 days of near +20 or something.  

i was mentioning to Will and still believe it to be the case, just how much that hearkened back to time after time after time all summer ... big heat/ridge roll outs would do this and end up being a day or less warm sector slice before a fropa. 

i just find it interesting that here we are sans that seasons and making inroads into winter and that particular plague is still infecting - haha.  in any case, interesting -

Today was the 3rd warmest 11/29 on record for CON. Not bad for a 150 year period of record.

Archived