• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

Yeah the 1921 storm was about 2-3 times as thick on the ice as the December 2008 storm...and the 2008 storm was already pretty rare. Maybe only matched by the Dec 1964 storm, but I believe that 2008 was probably a smidge worse than the '64 storm...at least in the higher terrain.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the 1921 storm was about 2-3 times as thick on the ice as the December 2008 storm...and the 2008 storm was already pretty rare. Maybe only matched by the Dec 1964 storm, but I believe that 2008 was probably a smidge worse than the '64 storm...at least in the higher terrain.

Capture.JPG

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Judging by the sea scroll description, the 1921 event was similar to 2008 in the respect that NE winds sounded pretty gusty. Not the usual ice storm set up.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Judging by the sea scroll description, the 1921 event was similar to 2008 in the respect that NE winds sounded pretty gusty. Not the usual ice storm set up.

Yeah both were legit coastals and not weak overrunning waves. I do recall how strange it was to hear these gusts ramp up at times in the 2008 storm...like what you'd expect in a big snowstorm or rainstorm. Like gusting to 25 knots type stuff.

I used to live in Ashaway RI about 3/4 mile from the Wood River Junction Post office. It was told to me by the old timers that Wood River was among the coldest spots in RI. I kind of chuckled when I first moved there but soon after 4  seasons I began to believe. I was once told Wood River, only about 7 miles from the Atlantic, held the RI low temp record. Wood River Junction is basically a Pine Barren with low elevation surrounded by modest 200 foot hills, sandy soils dominate. I checked today on the COOP and found the record. still not believing i checked the nearby Kingston RI (URI) coop and found both stations had 6-8 inches of snow on the day of the 10th, Wood River recorded -28.  (see pic)I remember a day in 1983 when my neighbor down the valley recorded -22. Just a weenie tidbit 

URI

1942-01-10        -18              
1942-01-11   -23          

Capture.JPG

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

I used to live in Ashaway Ri about 3/4 mile from the Wood River Junction Post office. It was told me by the old timers that Wood River was among the coldest spots in RI. I kind of chuckled when I first moved there but soon after 4  seasons I began to believe. I was once told Wood River, only about 7 miles from the Atlantic, held the RI low temp record. Wood River Junction is basically a Pine Barren with low elevation surrounded by modest 200 foot hills, sandy soils dominate. I checked today on the COOP and found the record. still not believing i checked the nearby Kingston RI (URI) coop and found both stations had 6-8 inches of snow on the day of the 10th, Wood River recorded -28.  (see pic)I remember a day in 1983 when my neighbor down the valley recorded -22. Just a weenie tidbit 

1942-01-10        -18              
1942-01-11   -23          

Capture.JPG

I heard the same thing from a met as well. Soil ftw.

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Dec 1989 was brutal in my memory. I was attending (off and on) UMass Lowell and had a condo near North Campus.  A friend of mine and I got a job for the winter break at th fish hatchery in Nashua, NH.  We had to do a lot of outdoor work and were wet from tagging fish, etc.   brutal wx

I hated that month and I love cold, it was the wind constant and little snow, on the Thames River just plain brutal.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

I hated that month and I love cold, it was the wind constant and little snow, on the Thames River just plain brutal.

5he only good thing about that month was the condo I was in had electric heat which was included in our rent.    I’m guessing the landlord lost money on us that month.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

I wish I didn't lose my wx data. I'd like to see how many seasons in the past decade I had a larger max snow pack than he did. He obviously crushes my annual snowfall every year. And to be clear, I wouldn't call his upslope "meh". That would be more like Alex's. 

Wanted to put this in Banter--took a quick look at Jspins data vs Cocorahs (Tilton- Northfield 3.3 NE) and COOP(Franklin Falls Dam) for the past 11 years. I had to use both to get all 11 years.  Dendrite would know his area obviously better than me, so not sure how close those NH stations are to representing his backyard. According to this JSpin had a higher max depth in 7 of 11 years.

COOP     vs      JSpin     

06-07-     16"               37"

07-08      41"              34"

08-09-     28"              33"

09-10-     16"              21"

10-11-     32"              40.5"

11-12-     18"              18"

12-13-     18"              19"

13-14-     33"              24.5"

14-15-     30"              25"

15-16   -  8"                11.5"

16-17-    25"               29.5"

the 1921 event was truly extraordinary - as in ... extra ordinary.  very rare indeed.  the storm was a standard coastal low of freezing rain.  What is bizarre is that the kinematics for coastal lows do not usually have inverted soundings in the CCB, which that one did.

3 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

I wish I didn't lose my wx data. I'd like to see how many seasons in the past decade I had a larger max snow pack than he did. He obviously crushes my annual snowfall every year. And to be clear, I wouldn't call his upslope "meh". That would be more like Alex's. 

Wanted to put this in Banter--took a quick look at Jspins data vs Cocorahs (Tilton- Northfield 3.3 NE) and COOP(Franklin Falls Dam) for the past 11 years. I had to use both to get all 11 years.  Dendrite would know his area obviously better than me, so not sure how close those NH stations are to representing his backyard. According to this JSpin had a higher max depth in 7 of 11 years.

COOP     vs      JSpin     

06-07-     16"               37"

07-08      41"              34"

08-09-     28"              33"

09-10-     16"              21"

10-11-     32"              40.5"

11-12-     18"              18"

12-13-     18"              19"

13-14-     33"              24.5"

14-15-     30"              25"

15-16   -  8"                11.5"

16-17-    25"               29.5"

I think that is Brians Cocorahs site in Northfield

10 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Oh, I didn't think he did Cocorahs.  Well, if it is then this should settle it for the past decade for depth.

Looks like in a limited sample, he prob has about a 30% chance of attaining higher snow depth than jspin.

6 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Agree, was only going back to what data JSpin has available at his site--which is 11 years. 

Interestingly, ORH had a higher peak snow depth in 3 of those seasons as well...though the longer distance in location probably helps reduce the covariance more...since ORH is not as good a place to pile up snow depth as dendrite. But it also just happened to be in 3 consecutive winters too where it occurred...during the lesser years for NNE upslope. '12-'13, '13-'14, and '14-'15 all produced a higher peak snow depth at ORH. 2010-2011 was close, but 40.5" was a little too high to overcome. I think we peaked at 38 inches that year.

2015-2016 was also close when we got 12" of paste on 2/5/16...the peak snow depth though was 11 inches vs his 11.5".

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Interestingly, ORH had a higher peak snow depth in 3 of those seasons as well...though the longer distance in location probably helps reduce the covariance more...since ORH is not as good a place to pile up snow depth as dendrite. But it also just happened to be in 3 consecutive winters too where it occurred...during the lesser years for NNE upslope. '12-'13, '13-'14, and '14-'15 all produced a higher peak snow depth at ORH. 2010-2011 was close, but 40.5" was a little too high to overcome. I think we peaked at 38 inches that year.

2015-2016 was also close when we got 12" of paste on 2/5/16...the peak snow depth though was 11 inches vs his 11.5".

So close yet so far away. No congrats Dendrite that season. He had to go buy chickens just to feel the love again.

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Funny you mention that as that came up last night in the NNE thread as years that overall seemed to under-perform upslope wise.  Sort of removed the mountain magic that has returned last year and this Nov.  I still wish I had time and means to really study why that seems to happen on a seasonal level. 

25 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Hey I beat Dendrite 10/11 14.15 and actually Beat Jspin 14/15 woot woot

Archived