Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, dryslot said:

If that was the case, It would be a bad winter every year here, My oaks don't shed until spring, And then they end up at the neighbors........:lol:

A bad winter up there would be a decent winter here....except maybe for snowfall. When you are low on snow totals we have often been high due to storm track.

On 11/23/2017 at 6:16 PM, Hoth said:

Congrats on the anniversary! See Alex's photos from Bretton Woods today in the banter thread. Snowy up there already. I'd be shocked if there isn't substantially more by the time you get up there. One of the better snow spots in NE.

On 11/23/2017 at 6:31 PM, wxeyeNH said:

Up in the Northern White Mountains, odds are very  high of snow on the ground by the week before Christmas.  Skiing is a definite as areas are already making lots of snow and will continue as we move deeper into winter so you're all set even without lots of natural snow cover.  You don't need deep snow for cross-country skiing or snowshoeing.  There does have to be about 10" of natural snow for the snowmobile trails to open up which is a bit harder earlier in the season.   Things don't look good for any storms over the next week or so but we still have most of December to start building up the pack.  I found the map below which shows the chance of at least 1" of snow by Christmas.  As you can see odds are very high.

Enjoy your trip its a beautiful part of the country!

On 11/24/2017 at 10:01 AM, alex said:

Hey! Sorry I've been quiet... getting ready for our first weekend with our soon-to-be adopted kids! Wild. 

As others have said, it would be highly unusual (perhaps unprecedented?) not to have snow that time of the year. The great thing about the White Mountains is that you have very distinct patterns. In upslope patterns, you can head up the notch and come join us at Bretton Woods, which you should stop by anyways - beautiful area (of course, I'm biased - but that's why I chose to live here!) and the Mt Washington Hotel is worth a visit (and daily breakfast buffet till 11 am is AMAZING). In patterns with cutters, the Mt Washington Valley (Bartlett/Jackson/Conway) tends to do EXTREMELY well - the cold air damming in that area can be amazing. So, you're pretty much guaranteed to have decent snow cover somewhere within a short drive. 

Speaking of Bretton Woods, in my many years skiing here, I have to say - they do tend to have the best conditions of just about anywhere I've skied, but it's not for everyone. The terrain is fairly gentle. With good snow, you can ski the glades and that's FANTASTIC - a friend of mine is an advanced skier who generally only skies Stowe and Sugarbush, but last year came over and did the glades and said he had one of the most fun ski days in memory. The thing here is that the snow really tends to be better, for a number of reasons:

I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you need specific info! And while in Jackson, don't forget to stroll around Nestlenook Farms one night. The lights on the tree, piped Xmas music, sleighs and ice skaters on the large pond make it really unique. Amazing place.

I realized that I missed the Banter thread in my original post and request for info (thus, I am responding here), but I wanted to make sure you each knew how much I appreciated your responses.  My wife and I are really looking forward to our first cold-weather vacation in our fifteen years of marriage.  Thanks also for the PM responses, Alex, and I'm sure I might send a few more PMs as our vacation gets closer.  Here's hoping you guys get dumped on in the days leading up to Christmas!

2 hours ago, calculus1 said:

I realized that I missed the Banter thread in my original post and request for info (thus, I am responding here), but I wanted to make sure you each knew how much I appreciated your responses.  My wife and I are really looking forward to our first cold-weather vacation in our fifteen years of marriage.  Thanks also for the PM responses, Alex, and I'm sure I might send a few more PMs as our vacation gets closer.  Here's hoping you guys get dumped on in the days leading up to Christmas!

PM anytime - always happy to help visitors make the most out of their vacation here! It's a fantastic area, I hope you have a blast!

26 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Based on his catalog of properties, I’d lean more towards he owns the damn thing lol

Lol no I wish. I own a condo and then 2 years ago bought a 32 acre lot which I have been developing with cabins and 2 large houses, and then a few months ago I started managing other people's property as well... 10 in total. Wish I owned them all!

1 hour ago, alex said:

Nope! I actually work for the American Heart Association, plus I own a vacation rental company, Bretton Woods Rentals. I work remotely but I'm in Longwood (Boston) at least a day almost every week. 

Sounds like you’re making the best of your opportunities!  Economy today let’s you live anywhere.

7 hours ago, weathafella said:

Economy today let’s you live anywhere.

Careful saying this in forum full of young meteorologists and college students :P

It’s a big struggle getting into the industry right now and most of us are having to move over 1,000 miles to a random location to start out due to limited opportunities.

Archived