Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

And really this is NBD. We did single digits a few years ago. A 15F morning can feel warm sometimes by February. :arrowhead:

I think we got down to 6F in ORH the day after T-day in 1989....now that's man cold in November...getting single digits at a totally zero rad spot.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

On a budget I'd recommend a Stratus rain gauge and a "cheapie" temp sensor with a fan if you can find one. I wouldn't worry about rain, wind, or dewpoint with these low end stations.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I think we got down to 6F in ORH the day after T-day in 1989....now that's man cold in November...getting single digits at a totally zero rad spot.

-5F at CON on that November morning. Then there was 1875 which was like another world. -17F on 11/30 and -15F on 12/1.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Dude i was thinking shortly after our conversation a few weeks ago, about that 1989 early cold and the memories started flooding back - oh yea moments. 

I remember opening the door when a particularly strong gust of wind was audible from inside the home, and in that moment ... that was the first time I had ever seen that combination of cold and wind, thinking, at that early of a date.  I was amazed. The cheap drug store therm at that moment was 13 F with leaf-less trees swaying and shedding twigs like a first year barber school kid with palsy.  But you know, ... this recent February (2015) where it was -3 with 30 mph winds at times ... it's really in the ball-park. 

I almost wonder if both were maxed cold events for our particularly lat/lon ...just that one happened obscenely early and the other a bit more proper.  interesting. 

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Dude i was thinking shortly after our conversation a few weeks ago, about that 1989 early cold and the memories started flooding back - oh yea moments. 

I remember opening the door when a particularly strong gust of wind was audible inside the home, and in that moment ... that was the first time I had ever seen that combination of cold and wind, thinking, at that early of a date.  I was amazed. The cheap drug store therm at that moment was 13 F with leaf-less trees swaying the shedding twigs.  But you know, ... this recent February (2015) where it was -3 with 30 mph winds at times ... it's really in the ball-park. 

I almost wonder if both were maxed cold events for our particularly lat/lon ...just that one happened obscenely early and the other a bit more proper.  interesting. 

Yeah, Feb 2015 and Dec 1989 (both patterns started the final 10 days or so of the previous month) were pretty ridiculous....December 1989 is probably even more anomalous for temps on a region wide basis in New England. 2015 obviously gets extra "winter enthusiast points" for all the snow that came with it but in terms of sheer anomaly, 1989 was probably in a class by itself. We struggled a bit as snow lovers that month though...it did snow, but only one decent event on the 15-16th surrounded by scattered pennies...at least it stuck around.

There were temp anomalies of 20 degrees below normal for the entire MONTH in northern New England that month. Down here it was closer to a -15 departure.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah, Feb 2015 and Dec 1989 (both patterns started the final 10 days or so of the previous month) were pretty ridiculous....December 1989 is probably even more anomalous for temps on a region wide basis in New England. 2015 obviously gets extra "winter enthusiast points" for all the snow that came with it but in terms of sheer anomaly, 1989 was probably in a class by itself. We struggled a bit as snow lovers that month though...it did snow, but only one decent event on the 15-16th surrounded by scattered pennies...at least it stuck around.

There were temp anomalies of 20 degrees below normal for the entire MONTH in northern New England that month. Down here it was closer to a -15 departure.

And it's the fact that both were entirely advection driven ...well, most of the way.  In fact, the recent one in 2015, I almost want to say we never had a rad night where the wind went nil with a DP of -10 over that snow pack. It was like the advection terms controlled the 24-hour temperature curve, almost entirely ...but spanning some two or three weeks. 

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

And really this is NBD. We did single digits a few years ago. A 15F morning can feel warm sometimes by February. :arrowhead:

Welp.

Next month should be really interesting with (hopefully) snow kicking in and temps dropping beyond my typical range.

52 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

By far my favorite month at Lyndon!  As a cold weather lover I loved walking across the campus every morning.

47 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

By far my favorite month at Lyndon!  As a cold weather lover I loved walking across the campus every morning.

Ugh. That must have been terrible. I had so many frozen walks going from the comp lab to Poland in 96-98 and that was a much above normal stretch. lol

15 hours ago, dendrite said:

Interesting hour of looking at COOPs from SRI to NH on that date, some surprises like Kingston RI near the RI coast saying ice storm on the 29th, many stations with 4.5 to 5" w/e , appears the all snow line was near CON and the Mix line starting in NORH county with stations showing 4 inches to ice back to snow. Couple of stations reported Thunder storms, cool stuff and of course ORH with this

Capture.JPG

36 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Ugh. That must have been terrible. I had so many frozen walks going from the comp lab to Poland in 96-98 and that was a much above normal stretch. lol

Worked outside on the Thames River in NLC the whole month, absolutely brutal with strong winds every day, perhaps the worst month of working outside I can remember, very little snow down there. 

26 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Interesting hour of looking at COOPs from SRI to NH on that date, some surprises like Kingston RI near the RI coast saying ice storm on the 29th, many stations with 4.5 to 5" w/e , appears the all snow line was near CON and the Mix line starting in NORH county with stations showing 4 inches to ice back to snow. Couple of stations reported Thunder storms, cool stuff and of course ORH with this

Capture.JPG

I took one look at that scribbled sea scroll, and knew to whom the post beonged lol

17 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

02032 Pro. It’s $100 on Amazon. May not have the flash as the more expensive stations but I’m not the NBC Chief Met...

I think those are OK beginner stations. They're a good way to gauge your seriousness in weather observing. You're going to sacrifice some accuracy for the price, and most of the temp error will be due to the lower end shield. The wind is kinda useless on an all-in-1 station like that, and I've always found their dews to be a bit flakey. The most important things are temp and rain...make sure that data is as accurate as possible and then start worrying about the rest. I think every wx weenie should own a Stratus gauge too. It's a great way to confirm your digital readings (or use as the primary rain data), and it comes in handy during the winter if you want to get the water equiv.

59 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think those are OK beginner stations. They're a good way to gauge your seriousness in weather observing. You're going to sacrifice some accuracy for the price, and most of the temp error will be due to the lower end shield. The wind is kinda useless on an all-in-1 station like that, and I've always found their dews to be a bit flakey. The most important things are temp and rain...make sure that data is as accurate as possible and then start worrying about the rest. I think every wx weenie should own a Stratus gauge too. It's a great way to confirm your digital readings (or use as the primary rain data), and it comes in handy during the winter if you want to get the water equiv.

I have both a digital  and the Stratus is the one I use for Cocorahs reporting, honored to have the most Water Year precip in CT this year, couple of training Tstorms will do that.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I’ve never had a good wind event nor do I care much for dews. I also don’t micro analyze temps like PF. Give me something decent to work with, without breaking the bank. I’ve got more important stuff around the house to shell out money for....like a utility ATV with a plow. 

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Nah...for me it was alright.  I was doing forecasts for a radio station and a ski area every morning and got up at 5:30 so it was usually the coldest part of the day.  I  guess I bundled up right because it wasn't too bad.  I do remember the morning that was -35° and as I walking I thought that it felt colder than previous days and when I got to the met lab I looked at the graph and saw the temp I was kind of happy.  It was the coldest temp I had ever experienced.  We had several days with the high below 0 which being from CT was something I only saw once.  I'm a cold weather lover so for me that was like a month long snowstorm that just kept giving.

Funny you mention Poland...I lived in Rogers.

24 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I'll live with Dec 1989 but want no part of the following snapback

Yeah, let's not do that.  I remember talking towards the end of that month and knowing that it was going to turn warmer and the thought was that there was no way you could erase those negative departure...but we did!

Archived