Newest Member
    CHSVol
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Brian or anyone else, have you noticed a siggy difference between Davis and other thermometers? My Davis is always 2-3 warmer at night. I understand the shield issues between Davis and other thermos, but it even happens in mixed atmospheres too. I'm not sure if I should shave a few tenths off the Davis...or maybe it's right? We shall see in winter during any ptype or refreeze setups. 

I'm assuming you don't have FARS?  Fans are a must for accuracy with Davis IMHO.  When my batteries are dead or something else is amiss with the FARS then it's always too warm...unless there is steady 5+mph wind at the surface.  Otherwise I've found it to be really good.

10 minutes ago, MotoWeatherman said:

I'm assuming you don't have FARS?  Fans are a must for accuracy with Davis IMHO.  When my batteries are dead or something else is amiss with the FARS then it's always too warm...unless there is steady 5+mph wind at the surface.  Otherwise I've found it to be really good.

I think he said he's had the problem with radiational cooling situations too. Although there's slower response without a fan I've found the mins to be close to accurate or even a little cooler than actual with the passive shield with nights of radiational cooling. He said he hasn't had much trouble during the day. The FARS shield with a dead fan is a little different too since there's minimal capability for passive airflow.

Right it's mostly at night. I don't radiate well, so I bet the problem would be much more noticeable if I did...but night is where it shows up. I mean it makes sense...just curious if others noticed that too. My guess is the Davis is closer to reality, given the other thermo is just housed in a plastic case and not shielded. Accurite crap. 

2 hours ago, WxBlue said:

Speaking of radiational cooling, look like tonight will be a nice opportunity for temps to tank well into single digits and teens.

I'm hoping we can clear out and the orographic clouds and snow disappear... with fresh cold snowpack even in the valleys this is the type of night when we go real low if it gets clear/calm.  Especially these nights when there is WAA aloft after midnight at H85 but the mountain valleys are still plummeting regardless. 

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I have the daily wx maps on my work computer that was a beast. Winds were in the 50s to 77 on ACK.  Long 2 day qpf monster. Had to have been a pure paste bomb in your hood. Low DP drain from Maine fed the beast 

I saw that in your original post, 76 mph gust from the NE at ACK. Not what you would typically expect from an ice storm.

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I have the daily wx maps on my work computer that was a beast. Winds were in the 50s to 77 on ACK.  Long 2 day qpf monster. Had to have been a pure paste bomb in your hood. Low DP drain from Maine fed the beast 

When November was a winter month.

https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-0A8C554C-557A-49FE-A461-796754CC2116.pdf

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I think the bottom falls out overnight, 21°F here and falling.

15F here with a few rouge flakes floating through the flood lights.  If we go clear and calm the bottom will fall out, this is a night when fresh snow cover could take off that extra few degrees.  

Archived