Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

On 11/23/2017 at 8:53 PM, HoarfrostHubb said:

I should let him announce...but some good news

Yes, I'll need Wiz to start a May countdown thread for the baby.

On 11/23/2017 at 8:54 PM, CT Rain said:

They hired Kevin as a forecaster at GYX! 

We are about to be very shorthanded. He could work remotely and create an AFD with a series of tweets. 

On 11/24/2017 at 7:04 AM, CoastalWx said:

Congrats man! That's great news.

Thank you!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Since we talked about it the other day... this time a woman was shot and killed by a hunter who thought she was a deer near my sister's house in New York's southern tier.

This is the 4th or 5th story of this happening I've read this fall in the northeast (NH, ME, PA etc) , luckily not all of them involved death but still...how do you shoot at something that you aren't sure what it is?  The hunter was after sun-down, so he's probably screwed there.  At least he realized his mistake and called 911 while providing what medical care he could. 

This stuff scares the sh*t out of me this time of year knowing I walk my black lab daily through fields and woods around here. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/woman-fatally-shot-hunter-mistook-deer-article-1.3654778

Yeah, that's pretty much a non-starter. Like those state laws where rear ending a car is always your fault. At least they took some responsibility and called for help. The Maine fatal this year they hunter bailed when he heard the woman scream. He knew it wasn't a deer but said he couldn't bring himself to go down and see what happened. We'll probably never know, but it's conceivable she could've been saved had he called 911. 

The Maine wardens did a pretty good job with North Woods Law introducing a larger audience to the work they do in conservation and also responsible hunting. It's not really my thing, but the show presented it in a way that highlighted the good it can do (population control, meat for shelters, policing the violators, etc).

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Btw. Congrats Chris. If you thought mid shifts were fun, those are just a warmup for your soon-to-be improved sleep schedule. 

Thank you!

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how this shift work thing is going to work out. Maybe we'll get that lucky kid that sleeps through the night right away? :lol:

16 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Congrats Oceanwx-sleep deprivation eases after 20 years...lol.  But in all seriousness my hopes are for you and your wife to have smooth sailing with all well during pregnancy and birth.

6 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Congrats, Chris--outstanding!!

Thank you!

We've made it out of the first trimester, so my wife doesn't get as mad at me for eating whatever I want without getting sick. 

Archived