Newest Member
    joxey
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, eurojosh said:

Does this algorithm include population impact?

31 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

That's actually really interesting. Is that just a BTV thing?

It was developed by BTV and others as a way to assess societal and land use impacts.  The population impact is based on urban area designations (for now since it's experimental) and land use impacts are based on things like impact to travel, agricultural, etc...  Here's the PDD for the program:

WSSIPDD 2.pdf

Impact forecasting is an integral part of the Weather Ready Nation program and feedback is important.  If you all find it useful, don't be shy about saying so or recommending areas for improvement.  It's an important part of sustaining funding for experimental products like this.  Here's the comment page:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/survey/nws-survey.php?code=WSSI

Mt. Holley is the closest participating WFO but covers LWX well.  Here's the link:

http://www.weather.gov/btv/winterseverity?id=PHI

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

although 48h is a crush panel..but the NAM is slower overall...like 8am and we're just in the middle of the storm?

It was slower at h5. I read somewhere that a NE met said things could trend slower. First 12z model out shows this.  Not sure if it's a pos, neg, or neutral in the big picture. 

49 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Has anyone noticed both the gfs and euro getting colder every run after the storm. 6z gfs has my area barely getting out of the teens on Wednesday. Even if its running 6-7 degrees too warm that still is extremely cold for Mid March high temp.

Taken literally, the GFS doesn't get above freezing here after the storm until a week from now, and it doesn't hit 40 again until March 25.

If that even comes close to verifying, it would be absolutely insane for mid-late March, like March 1960 level insane. Absolutely a far cry from last month.

9 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

This is an experimental Decision Support Service (DSS) tool that is being developed at the NWS.  From what I have seen, this tool calculates things like road and population density and terrain against the forecasted snow amounts. Wind and snow ratio is also factored in.  Every time the NWS develops a test product they deploy it at several pilot offices and those offices ask for feedback from DOTs, OEMs, etc.  For example, PHI WFO was a test bed for the new NOAA Weather Radio voice around 2005.  Hope this helps.

I wonder if it factors in the penchant for MD/DC drivers to be among the worst in the country?

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

The NAM has an unbelievable deform band over the 81 Corridor from Harrisburg PA to Roanoake, VA. It is AMAZING.

I would of thought for sure looking at h5 it would have been a lot more juiced for areas east of blue ridge and over the coast, where its almost looks like a dry slot. Nam has been extremely consistent on insisting heaviest qpf begins over the entire 81 corridor and then pivoting northeast from there. 

USA_PCPPRSTMP_850mb_042.gif

USA_PCPPRSTMP_850mb_045.gif

It was slower at h5. I read somewhere that a NE met said things could trend slower. First 12z model out shows this.  Not sure if it's a pos, neg, or neutral in the big picture. 

Bob, with the h5 vort being so far south, what do you think is causing the deform axis to develop so far away from the best dynamics? I would think it would be about 50 miles east based on that 48 hour h5

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I would look at it as a negative. Then we would be getting into daylight hours when we get the best snows 

Archived