joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM has been showing a jet max riding up the Appalachians in front of the northern stream system for several runs.  GFS has been placing that streak much further to the southeast.  Makes a big difference for the evolution of the system, especially for those of us along the I-81 corridor.

IMG_0965.thumb.PNG.b0397ab85e97d8dcefb0e7cce1300f5b.PNG

IMG_0964.thumb.PNG.d705919c843b7699aea1cfbf1a219704.PNG

5 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

It's very rare for the NAM to outperform the GFS at this range imo.

No doubt about it man. Its just Pack and I have been having discussions in the southeast forum over the last couple days. The nam has been very insistent on having much heavier qpf production further west than most if not all guidance. Good to see rgem for me put 81 in the heavy stuff.  

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

RGEM is similar to the NAM with a very nice long duration band over the 81 corridor. It does have some boundary temp issues east of western Loudoun County though.

To actually give credence to the nam, the last two cycles of the gfs runs has pushed that deform or area of heavier qpf further west as well now. Will be interesting to see 12z coming up in a min.

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

To actually give credence to the nam, the last two cycles of the gfs runs has pushed that deform or area of heavier qpf further west as well now. Will be interesting to see 12z coming up in a min.

Really? The past couple runs of the GFS seemed to keep nailing the Balt/DC corridor and to the east. 

2 minutes ago, vinylfreak89 said:

The RGEM having the deformation axis along I-81 in agreement with the NAM is scaring me... could be a step towards the final evolution of phasing or it could be a too little too late situation. Very curious to see what the globals do

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Yeah. The NAM by itself is fine..but RGEM kinda joining it is a little worrisome.   Still not going to go all panic mode...let's see what the big boys do.

4 minutes ago, Ltrain said:

How far out does the RGEM go? On TT it goes out to 48 and it looks to be snowing heavily and there is still more to come. Even at 48 the DC and Balt area are around 7". 

It does go to 48. And it is NOT a bad run for DC. It's just very different from the global guidance overnight. There is a lot of mixing east of the usual places during the middle of the storm. Although that is not necessarily abnormal in big Noreasters.

2 minutes ago, Ltrain said:

Really? The past couple runs of the GFS seemed to keep nailing the Balt/DC corridor and to the east. 

I believe the hour 45 frame of the gfs actually pushed the initial formation of that deform band further west as it almost forms over me or just to my easy and then pivots up toward you folks.

So it seems like we're trending towards what the coastals always do for our area: Mixed precip E and along 95 due to warm layer, all snow W and the favorable areas N/W get the most snow. The models are great but they aren't a substitute for hyper local experience. To my highly untrained eye this is evolving towards more of a typical DC snowstorm.

4 minutes ago, yoda said:

:huh:

12z GGEM is not even out yet and there is no 6z GGEM

Sorry, referring to the RGEM.  Should have been more specific.  

And I'm not sure where the data is coming from, but while the maps only go out 48 hours, the meteogram goes out 84 hours. Not sure about the data though beyond 48.

RGEM.png

Archived