Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Just based off that map alone, that looks precariously close to you guys in dc and the guys on 95 or am I wrong? 

Not good, too close, too warm , winds off the Atlantic , etc.

Surprised by this,  as the EPS earlier was more offshore. As was the GFS  

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, caviman2201 said:

Is this just run to run variance on a complex, dynamic storm or are there new 'discoveries' the models keep making?  I mean all the components are on-shore and being sampled at this point, so whats with the big run-to-run changes this late in the game?

The changes aren't big. These models cover the globe. Slp moving 75 miles one way or the other is a very small change. It just seems big because of the affect of sensible wx. 

1 minute ago, caviman2201 said:

Is this just run to run variance on a complex, dynamic storm or are there new 'discoveries' the models keep making?  I mean all the components are on-shore and being sampled at this point, so whats with the big run-to-run changes this late in the game?

I know they are giving the American models extra data for this storm (dropsondes I think), not sure about the European ones.

If the Ukie track verified I would most likely mix even out here. The GEM actually looks very similar to NAM as far as the heaviest banding goes. But like others have said we wont have a idea on that for another 18 hours or so. Regardless. All of the models except the Ukie have a very favorable track for all of us in this subforum. I am feeling very good about this storm now as opposed to being fringed all day yesterday.

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

Starting to sound like the UKIE is a smash hit... Of course it's gonna mix at some point but we might as well go big with precip if we can.

Bob is right, there probably is mix along the I-95 corridor at that time... but its not like the 850s are super warm at all as they are like 0/-1... we can still accumulate at 34 degrees

A lot of times, the warm layer (if there is one) is around 800mb in these situations.  850-950mb might be cold again, with the surface around freezing, but it's a sleet sounding.  If UKMET is over the Delmarva, got to imagine most places mix to sleet at least.  But I wouldn't call all these differences "a lack of consensus".  These are all within a very reasonable range of spread for 36-48 hours.  We're talking like 50-75 miles here.  But, that's the difference between all snow for the cities and snow-mix-snow.  

Archived