joxey
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

For you maybe.  It's warm for DC. 

i meant for the east coast based on the low pressure mb, tracking and scope of the storm. This will go down in the books man...maybe not for us but in general

That sv map is too low. It's surface based and there would be plenty of snow falling along 95 and dc. The wxbell map is too high verbatim. Would not be 10:1 east of the fall line and mixing for sure at some point.  

It's an improved run from 0z with progression and qpf. That's unquestionable. But the devil is in the details.  I take it as a win.  Philly and western burbs get freekin nuked though. 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Good god. Philly gets smoked! Solid 10-20 for Nova. Cant really complain about that.

The euro has been the most inconsistent model for the past two days, perhaps only bested by the CMC in that regard.

Something to consider before getting too high or low based on its solution.  The vast majority of data suggests a big storm for most of the region.

Also, I'm pretty sure that many times events come in colder than the euro forecast.

Hmmmmm, not sure what to think. That area nuked is just north and east of Baltimore. Wouldn't take much to get that to slide down southwest one would think, but you could also see warm air being too much, especially if this keeps trending, and it ends up being a storm for farther out in MD.

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

It's hopping around like frog legs in a skillet.

It's strength of the LP at our latitude was a big outlier at 0z last night and it's now come into line with other guidance with that. I certainly don't have high confidence in the model as I did in years past. Goes to show you how difficult the forecast will be especially along 95. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

That sv map is too low. It's surface based and there would be plenty of snow falling along 95 and dc. The wxbell map is too high verbatim. Would not be 10:1 east of the fall line and mixing for sure at some point.  

It's an improved run from 0z with progression and qpf. That's unquestionable. But the devil is in the details.  I take it as a win.  Philly and western burbs get freekin nuked though. 

Bob, how important today is the EPS ?

Do we still add it to the mix, even now that we are closer to the event?  I would think it is still useful under these circumstances , what are your thoughts?

7 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The euro has been the most inconsistent model for the past two days, perhaps only bested by the CMC in that regard.

Something to consider before getting too high or low based on its solution.  The vast majority of data suggests a big storm for most of the region.

Also, I'm pretty sure that many times events come in colder than the euro forecast.

Yep. We know our climo with these monstesr. It seems like a little over an inch of QPF is realistic for us. I would guess a foot or a little more if I had to right now. There will always be elevation lolly's though. I have plenty of elevation so I hope I am one of those :)

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Go low in DC itself. The tarmac at the airport with the wind blowing and sleet mixing in will record some abnormally low totals. Just outside DC will be far higher. DCA could record 5 inches while the rest of the region is 10-15.

1000% agree on this.

If DCA officially gets to 5"...you can conservatively double that as close as Fairfax City, Tysons, Bethesda/Rockville.

Sold.

1 minute ago, frd said:

Bob, how important today is the EPS ?

Do we still add it to the mix, even now that we are closer to the event?  I would think it is still useful under these circumstances , what are your thoughts?

Not really imortant at all. Neither is the gefs. All they are going to show is a smoothed mean of the op run. Global ops are the big heavyweights for sure right now. 

Gfs has been the most consistent but it could easily shift a little west at 18z. All globals show fairly sig precip though the entire region. The goal posts are really narrow. After 0z tonight its mostly just chips fall mode. 

8 minutes ago, Warm Nose said:

There's a reason certain areas here are 'favorable.' We're trending into a classic 95 dividing line setup.

850 mb easterly flow up to 50kts raises my eyebrows a bit. I've seen this script before. Feb 13, 2014 was the most recent example, and MBY here in AA got about 7" before the switch. But...That was mid Feb, not mid March. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Not really imortant at all. Neither is the gefs. All they are going to show is a smoothed mean of the op run. Global ops are the big heavyweights for sure right now. 

Gfs has been the most consistent but it could easily shift a little west at 18z. All globals show fairly sig precip though the entire region. The goal posts are really narrow. After 0z tonight its mostly just chips fall mode. 

Thanks Bob. I hope we all do well. 

Archived