Newest Member
    Monty
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, snjókoma said:

Low doesn't get its act together in time... 15-20" philly and ne. Complete kick back to reality.

As I can recall this time in March last year it was the only model with not much support for a noreaster 2 days out, and the GFS won that battle. I don't know, it could happen the same this time.

Just now, Cobalt said:

As I can recall this time in March last year it was the only model with not much support for a noreaster 2 days out, and the GFS won that battle. I don't know, it could happen the same this time.

It's even an anomaly with its own runs the last few days...

1 minute ago, Amped said:

Euro is slower with the southern stream.   GFS CMC UKMET just get the vortmax to the coast faster on bomb the low.    The Euro low is more due to a coastal front and the vortmax tries to reform it further south.

Well, it may be reaching a bit here, but we are at the point where the GFS is assimilating RECON data (flights that went out over the GOMEX and with the system over the PAC NW), which the EC is not.  So there's that in our favor (hopefully)..

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I'll wait for confirmation from the 12z run before I get all weepy.  It's kinda on it's own right now...but it's the Euro, so it does raise a flag

So are the NAM and Euro solutions similar, or are they predicting different types of issues that explain why they are not agreeing with the more agressive projections of the GFS, Canadian, Ukie, etc.? 

(Yes, yes, I know the NAM isn't much this far out. Just curious.)

1 minute ago, WxMan1 said:

Well, it may be reaching a bit here, but we are at the point where the GFS is assimilating RECON data (flights that went out over the GOMEX and with the system over the PAC NW), which the EC is not.  So there's that in our favor (hopefully)..

Interesting... hadnt thought of that

1 minute ago, DCWeatherGuy said:

So are the NAM and Euro solutions similar, or are they predicting different types of issues that explain why they are not agreeing with the more agressive projections of the GFS, Canadian, Ukie, etc.? 

I haven't seen details of the Euro yet...but I think it's different issues...Euro seems like it doesn't get its act together until it's north of us

Just now, DCWeatherGuy said:

Euro is just weaker. It's 1004 off of obx and only down to 999 off of OC. That's the culprit. No bombing so no big deform totals. We all get an inch qpf but it's not hot and heavy. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Euro is just weaker. It's 1004 off of obx and only down to 999 off of OC. That's the culprit. No bombing so no big deform totals. We all get an inch qpf but it's not hot and heavy. 

yeah the panels are like .4, .4, .2 for most of the area. 

Euro is the best model,  but if GFS, CMC and UKMET all show a different thing and the same thing ignoring it maybe a good idea. 

Euro also has lower heights and SLP in the gulf, and looking at trends, it has been to low for the last several days in that area.

This run was just funky. But it made a big jump nw with the qpf field but it has a drastically different storm evolution from the consensus of all the other guidance.  Ok this sounds crazy but toss it. It's struggling right now. Before you throw rocks at me for blasphemy let me make the case to toss. 

The euro is not perfect. It was by far the worst leading into the storm last January with a couple fake out suppressed runs. Even to the end it was south of the gfs. It caused me some unneeded headaches up here having me on the northern fringe when in reality the gfs having that up in pa was closer and even that wasn't North enough. 

Its been jumping all over with this. So maybe it's right but which version. The run 12z Friday that looked like everything else tonight did. The run last night that was warm. The cold suppressed run today or this weird disjointed one tonight. It's all over the place run to run. 

Given its wild swings and a total consensus among all the other guidance I think it argues we toss this even if it is the euro. 

13 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

I'm wondering about this too. Does anyone have an answer?

Archived