Newest Member
    joxey
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, eurojosh said:

By the time it gets there, CMC crosses Montauk with a 977mb storm. Talk about rapid intensification.  Wonder if CMC is able to stay all snow for us because of that deepening,  rather than its actually track.

And this is what I was talking about earlier today. Get this thing into an amped up qpf bomb and thermals will likely work out. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

And this is what I was talking about earlier today. Get this thing into an amped up qpf bomb and thermals will likely work out. 

I showed a GIF earlier that was ignored. CMC drops from 1000mb to 984mb in 6hrs.   That maybe causing issues.

11 minutes ago, snjókoma said:

That snow depth map makes little sense... temperatures are below freezing the entire time. Sure, not 23" but if we get 2" of QPF with a temperature depiction like the Canadian its not going to be 10" snow depth.

I think it does. It's compaction. Anyway,  snowfall is not measured days after ot has had the chance to melt or compact, so that map is irrelevant for purposes of official snowfall numbers.

2 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

What do you think? Better jet interaction with the improving upper level pattern?

Yes, I think both. Especially the upper levels. The southern vort goes neg tilt at the perfect time. Even though it's not a huge vort, it goes neg right around va beach so there is rapid deepening of lp off the coast. We seem to be right in the cross hairs of a sick deform band nw of the low as it goes nuts off the coast. That plus the ns low seemingly wanting to give up earlier keeps the damage to the surface and midlevels to a minimum. I can't think of a single analog storm to this one. It's really more a tale of 2 separate storms that do a little dance right at a perfect spot. 

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Did a discount double check on the 00z GEFS... (yes, I know we prob shouldn't be using them now since we are in this close..)

00zGEFSensemblemeansnowfall3-12-17.thumb.png.73ee2a735b4a9eaa872a83a7eb806335.png

With the Op models still bouncing around some, I don't see where a decent ensemble run hurts things.  With the good mojo flowing tonight, feel free to post away. ;)

GEFS looks great.

MDstorm

Archived