Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Model Mayhem II!

SR Airglow

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we should look at next weekend as the end of the first half of winter.  The first half was:

very good in NNE mountains

very good in all of Maine

average in lower NNE and CNE and interior SNE

good in SE SNE

After next weekend the 2nd half begins.  It seems unclear how it will evolve, perhaps because the last few days of discussion have focused on yesterday's storm.  But indications seem to be for a warm period from the 16th for a week or so, then maybe another shift?  And a lot of talk about a cold February.  Hopefully our snowpacks survive the warmth and many of us can have the experience of a 3-4 month continuous pack.

7 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I think we should look at next weekend as the end of the first half of winter.  The first half was:

very good in NNE mountains

very good in all of Maine

average in lower NNE and CNE and interior SNE

good in SE SNE

After next weekend the 2nd half begins.  It seems unclear how it will evolve, perhaps because the last few days of discussion have focused on yesterday's storm.  But indications seem to be for a warm period from the 16th for a week or so, then maybe another shift?  And a lot of talk about a cold February.  Hopefully our snowpacks survive the warmth and many of us can have the experience of a 3-4 month continuous pack.

First winter here so I don't have a lot of data but I wouldn't call it very good. Even in Mountain areas there's been a huge level of variability. We were lucky in the November December period with upslope but retention wasn't fantastic, and while MWN broke records, even here at 1550ft a foot OTG in early January doesn't seem that exciting. But maybe I need to keep my expectations in check... Especially after my trip to Montana :)

19 minutes ago, alex said:

First winter here so I don't have a lot of data but I wouldn't call it very good. Even in Mountain areas there's been a huge level of variability. We were lucky in the November December period with upslope but retention wasn't fantastic, and while MWN broke records, even here at 1550ft a foot OTG in early January doesn't seem that exciting. But maybe I need to keep my expectations in check... Especially after my trip to Montana :)

I think you are right.  variability in the white mountains but VT has been great.  I was at Waterville Valley in the lower Whites and there was 3 ft in the woods.  But it depends on whether you are in a good upslope area I think.  So NNE is average to very good.

somehow, someway, I managed to hit half of climo for mby by January 7...and have had at least some semblance of snow OTG since late November, albeit a couple piles, but snow otg nonetheless. as soon as it looks to go away, we get a little nickel and dimer. One warning criteria storm, and a few 4" ers, and a bunch of 1", 2" events...im not complaining...seems to me, this is that type of winter that is going to do that.. hopefully we can pull out at least one major region wide coastal, where everyone verifies warning criteria, and cut down on the cutters...that high this week is going to be sneaky me thinks, we shall see if it holds strong, and we can get a blocker

37 minutes ago, Snowbelt said:

I really don't understand your fascination with ice storms. Maybe if you get a bad one and lose power for 10 days you'll change your tune. 

This!  In Dec 2008 we got slammed with a crazy ice storm and were without power for 9 days in December.  Generator kept toilets flushing, oil burner running and fridge on but it was a miserable week.  The first few nights felt like pioneering, the last few like the walking dead :)

If I was on vacation it would have been great but for work office life that went on unaffected, it was a big PITA to feed the generator every half a day.

I'd say 2/3 of the trees on my property and in my town fell, smashing all my back fencing so I was walking the dogs for a while after that, too.  

1 hour ago, mahk_webstah said:

I think you are right.  variability in the white mountains but VT has been great.  I was at Waterville Valley in the lower Whites and there was 3 ft in the woods.  But it depends on whether you are in a good upslope area I think.  So NNE is average to very good.

Wrong about VT. A narrow band along the northern spine has done well. As soon as you crest the spine going west it drops off precipitously. The CPV is bare. I've got 8" of glacial crust that is about to be seriously whacked and I am at 1250' in north central Vermont. Average is a kind description at best. 

If I had one complaint so far it would be a lack of snow pack retention. However, being 30ish miles from long Island sound, I guess that comes with the territory. I have had a 6" and a 6.5" storm so far, with a total of 18.25". This is my 3rd winter since moving from Delaware where my seasonal average was somewhere between 10 and 12 inches. 

Nobody asked me, and lord knows in my own proclivity to lament the weather (both anecdotally, and using those experiences in conjunction with formal education) I have opined the subject matter in the past ... but,

ICE STORMS SUCK!

The novelty of it wears out with extreme rapidity when you can't make toast.  Plus, much of the allure for common engagement of weather social media ...is (duh) electricity dependent - period.

No internet. no marveling, of any kind over anything in f reality for that matter... Your attention span suddenly ends at the distance you can peer down the right from your front door from left and right. That's all you can see... No charts, no models, no obs, no story telling among kindred peers and intellects and emotively celebratory people also experiencing the same misery.. Gone! Over, empty ,.. vapid silence ..  Yeah, lets get THAT to happen. 

The irony being, ... the same people egging on ice storms are usually the most vocal when the pattern gets banal, when the dearth of anything interesting to monitor gets maddening to them. Yet, when that final mortar echo of crackling timbre is punctuated by the brilliant blue-hued flash and the accompanying eerie buzz, and stations they could possibly have used to counter 'maddening boredom' are rendered dead... what the f do they have then?!  

I do admit... they are fascinating - but that's not hypocrisy.  Fascinating is goodly distance from wanting to be inside of it.  Atomic bombs are fascinating to watch detonate -

Wrong about VT. A narrow band along the northern spine has done well. As soon as you crest the spine going west it drops off precipitously. The CPV is bare. I've got 8" of glacial crust that is about to be seriously whacked and I am at 1250' in north central Vermont. Average is a kind description at best. 

Exactly. Here is what it looks like in the CPV. Bare except glacial shovel piles from the last nickel event.
beb69621cccba371fd464f742dc50fda.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Tiktock said:

This!  In Dec 2008 we got slammed with a crazy ice storm and were without power for 9 days in December.  Generator kept toilets flushing, oil burner running and fridge on but it was a miserable week.  The first few nights felt like pioneering, the last few like the walking dead :)

If I was on vacation it would have been great but for work office life that went on unaffected, it was a big PITA to feed the generator every half a day.

I'd say 2/3 of the trees on my property and in my town fell, smashing all my back fencing so I was walking the dogs for a while after that, too.  

Agreed! I lived through that ice storm also. We didn't have power for almost two weeks. It sucked big time. I will never forget the sound of the pines snapping in my yard. What made it worse was it wasn't expected. Sure, the forecast included some freezing rain but not the ice storm of a lifetime. 

45 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Ok so the upslope areas of VT and NH have done well, some areas average, but CPV is below average...the true screwzone in NE this year it seems.

Archived